Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Katz
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 57
    The game has drastically changed since you left. You have lots to learn. Ground of valor and tomes of valor books means little tradional exp partys out there. You dont lose exp below 30 when you die. Most low players go to gusden mines do page 1 to get to from 14-25-30ish depending on low levels available. Book pages are were most exp is gained not exp earned from mobs although those help too. Once you hit 30 and a have nice players who will let you join their abyssea party at 30, you become a chest keyer in abyssea. If you want to stay out of abyssea there are still loads of book pages you canwork on either in groups or solo.
    (0)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Home Point in PJ near the instant warp scoll NPC fixes half of your problems. Going to teleports serves no purpose anymore. There is nothing to do near mea/dem/holla, for vahzl you can use abyssea NPC. Makes /whm useless. If you come back the main thing you'll be doing is farming abyssea stuff, so soling a lot and killing junk. This make RDM worthless. You are better off with something like NIN/DNC. But you won't go very far solol lol.
    (0)

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eice View Post
    Hello! I'm coming back to FFXI from a two or three year hiatus. It'll be about 8 hours before the updating is done, so I'm having fun thinking of what to do when I get back in.

I have rdm75,nin40,sch40,whm38,blm37 as my main jobs that I had leveled (I quit before the level cap increased, before abyssea or however you call it).

Still, I'm curious ... what would y'all say is the best single Job/Sub combination to be the most self-sufficient in as many aspects of gameplay as possible? Not just fighting, but also traveling and things of that nature.

/whm49 is the only way to be self-sufficient with all of the teleports (very attractive to me)

/blm is the only way to have warp (unless there is a new way for infinite "go home" ability?)

So, what do y'all think is the best single combination? I'm thinking of keeping my RDM as my main (I solo mostly) and seeing how much I can solo as RDM99/WHM49.

The only thing I would be missing would be a "warp" feature/spell (unless there is a new way to do that which won't run out of "charges" or uses?)
    There's no 1 single job that covers all aspect, you'd better off with job change button. Note that lving is really fast and easy, so it's better to lv multiple jobs if you want to cover all aspect.

As for Warp: Warp scroll is cheap, and you can get 1 for free, there are also many warp items. I only really /BLM for warp if I'm NPCing blinker before nerf, now nobody NPC blinker anymore.

If I'm running around in town, I often run on COR/THF and pop flee then reset flee with random deal and use movement speed+ roll. This combination wouldn't have sneak/invis though. If I need sneak/invis I just /DNC and movement speed+ roll.

RDM solo is fairly slow and inefficient unless you're soloing hardcore stuff. BLU, BST, DNC, PUP or NIN are pretty good solo jobs depending on what you're fighting, or THF if you need TH. All above jobs works very well in dyna, BLU works best if you solo salvage, NIN is best Abyssea solo with red proc, and PUP/THF is good for dyna solo if competition is high. THF/DNC works decently if you're just farming stuff and need TH.
    (1)
    Last edited by Afania; 12-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Eice View Post
    If maws are the new travel thing to where I can go almost anywhere with them, I'll probably just stay rdm99/nin49 (when I get there).
    Take it from a fellow career rdm back before aby made dalamud look like a choco egg, if you main rdm/nin you are in trouble when it comes to getting into any endgame content. Believe me its a rare case that a group, esp a pug, will say "rdm? sure bring it down!"

Plus other jobs solo faster than rdm now, I know I lvled and geared up dnc and its way faster and survives better in most cases. But there is always bst which everyone uses now for solo and if you want to do anything group wise, even sch is more in need so look at other mage classes that may fit your play style, or heavy dd. Regardless its always good to have nin whm blm or blu just for seal/+2/empy item farming
    (0)

Player
    RDM/NIN is hard to get into endgame with, but depending on the work put into it, its possible. I DD in vw on RDM/NIN often, and also tank adds on it as of late, the primary problem is that thanks to most RDMs, and the way they are looked upon now days, its often thought RDM is a terrible job never worth the invite. I have however built up a reputation between friends and VW leaders as a badass RDM, and thanks to it my rate of being turned down went from 90%, to roughly 20% at best. So honestly I think its possible to make it work, from experience, but its surely not something you can go out and do in a night, its alot of work, and even after you have the gear, its a matter of getting some nice people who will let you show you can use it, after that, you will become a bit more accepted because people should realize your good at it, or at least, thats how it was, and has been for me.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    Take it from a fellow career rdm back before aby made dalamud look like a choco egg, if you main rdm/nin you are in trouble when it comes to getting into any endgame content. Believe me its a rare case that a group, esp a pug, will say "rdm? sure bring it down!"
    The era of one main job is over. People can play a career RDM and a career THF and a career WAR all at the same time. If he wants to be RDM, he should be, but for other events, he will need a job that's more useful to the group. That doesn't mean he has to give up on RDM though. He made it clear that he likes the idea of soloing old content, and for that RDM is still decent.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    The era of one main job is over. People can play a career RDM and a career THF and a career WAR all at the same time. If he wants to be RDM, he should be, but for other events, he will need a job that's more useful to the group. That doesn't mean he has to give up on RDM though. He made it clear that he likes the idea of soloing old content, and for that RDM is still decent.
    I disagree with your POV regarding "able to career RDM THF WAR at the same time" though, at least it's not achieveable by 99.9999% of playerbase with just 1 character. 95% of player I know of doesn't even career 1 job and just gear many jobs to avg level based on event needs, let alone 2. Ppl who career 3 jobs is either very hardcore, or have multiple characters.
    (0)

Career 2-3 jobs isn't really *that* hard. 5-6 career jobs, maybe.
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Career 2-3 jobs isn't really *that* hard. 5-6 career jobs, maybe.
    How'd you have enough merit/inventory space and time to farm all that lv 99 R/E/M for 3 jobs, for majority of players on 1 character at least? Some jobs like WAR BRD need at least 2 lv 99 R/E to perform properly, which is kinda out of reach for average players to 99 4+ R/E. Your 2~3 jobs have to at least overlap a bit to achieve this.
    (0)

Player
    If your talking about WAR having both Ukon and Rag, your talking at Legion levels, in which case no, most people wont have 3 jobs that high. If your talking about something such as Prov levels, meaning 90~99 R/M/E with full +2 as well as VW gear, perhaps some NNI or Limbus gear, then yeah, I think that alot of people can get 2~3 jobs that fairly easy if they take the job seriously and have a decent group of friend or LS. So really depends on your standards for a job to count as a 'career' job.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast