Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Masekase
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Remove or decrease race stat penalties

Please remove or decrease race penalties. Even give a slight increase to best stat and a slight decrease to the weakest stat.

11 points + on best stat or worst stat is too much.
    (8)
    Last edited by Masekase; 12-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but aside from HP/MP the races are not very different. What exactly do you mean by race penalties?
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Poor tarus and their HPs.
    (5)

Character
    Masekase
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I mean take elvaan they get 11 more str on drk knight. Where as atru get around 11 extra INT over elvaan. I think it should be moved more to say 4-5 difference on weak/strongest stat. Same with hp etc so you are choosing the races more on cosmetics than anything else.
    (3)
    Last edited by Masekase; 12-06-2012 at 09:59 AM.

It's really not a big issue for any stats other than hp/mp.
    (12)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    aside from HP/MP the races are not very different
    Pretty much this. While an 11 point stat bonus (that merits do nothing to fix mind you, since everyone merits STR) is a pretty big difference, it won't really affect your DPS as much as having 445 more HP (difference between a Tarutaru and a Galka on MNK/WAR).

On the other hand, I'd argue that the 417 or so more MP (Tarutaru vs. Galka on SMN/WHM) won't make a difference at all, and just require different gear during macros, since with the amount of Refresh max MP only matters during really fast usage of your MP such as Chainspell (hard to cover if you're nuking, but for stuff like Chainstun, it won't even matter), Manawall (macroing in max MP gear can cover, although having more HP would too), or for using Perfect Defense (currently easy to cover with max MP gear, however it is being changed and might be slightly harder).

Basically, you can't macro in better gear for Max HP because everything you wear sacrifices your stats for other things and you almost always need Max HP (unless macroing for a Devotion Macro), but you can almost always macro for Max MP because it is only needed momentarily. Additionally there are some piece of HP gear that boost by a percentage (every percent is a 4 HP bonus for Galka over Tarutaru). Combine this with breath weapons and Soul Eater (however nerfed they are on "hard" content) and you get the problem even worse.

While you might be able to shrug off 11 STR or whatever the difference is, if you get hit for a certain amount of damage and having around 445 more HP would have helped, your DPS drops to nothing, which is a much, much bigger difference.

Basically, Tarutaru is the worst race selection right now because melee is the best way to deal damage, and Tarutaru not only has a slight disadvantage (lower STR) but it has a major, major disadvantage (way lower HP). Short of the best pieces of gear having latents just for Tarutaru (such as by bringing Tarutaru HP up to Hume levels, something like a 220 HP difference), nothing is going to fix this either.

Incidentally, Galka is the best race to play due to their major HP advantage and no real downsides, but the difference isn't so major that a Mithra, Hume, or Elvaan are totally out in the cold. (HP more then Tarutaru each has is Hume/Mithra: 220, Elvaan: 316, Galka: 445.)
    (4)

Maybe there should be a refresh buff that was affected by max mp? Refresh x% of max mp per tick, for example. That would help tarus with their huge MP pool more than other races.

If it was 0.25% of max MP, it would give 2 mp refresh if you had 800 mp, but 4 mp refresh if you had 1600 mp, for example.

It's not exactly uncommon among various games for mana regeneration to be affected by how big a mana pool you have. It's actually something I've been wondering why isn't in effect in this game.

I am not a taru myself, but I definitely think this is a real issue for tarus. My idea (not really mine, it's been around for ages) would improve things a bit.

-edit-
    Only now I realize that i typed hp instead of mp. It was pretty late last night when i made this post. Let's see if it turns out better now.
    (2)
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-06-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe there should be a refresh buff that was affected by max hp? Refresh x% of max hp per tick, for example. That would help tarus with their huge MP pool more than other races.

If it was 0.25% of max MP, it would give 2 mp refresh if you had 800 mp, but 4 mp refresh if you had 1600 mp, for example.

It's not exactly uncommon among various games for mana regeneration to be affected by how big a mana pool you can have. It's actually something I've been wondering why isn't in effect in this game.
    20+ refresh is easy to hit with gear/set up from fellow players. The game is designed with the co-op to be vital for not only efficiency, but also success. It would only be a giant issue because the majority of people who are on mage jobs aren't career WHM/SCH/SMN/RDM/BLMs, they're usually just people who don't have the decked out DD's required for the event, so they go on their ok-geared mage job that they have leveled and geared to be "passable".
    (0)

I know it is easy to hit 20+ refresh with gear and support. What I'm saying is that it would be nice if someone who had a much bigger mana pool also regenerated their mana faster than those with smaller pools.

An issue that was brought up in this thread is that there is little benefit in having a super-sized mana pool, because it is how fast you can regenerate your MP that really matters. This means that a lot of the supposed-advantage that tarus were meant to have on the magical side is lost, while the magical disadvantage for galkas is diminished. It could be partially turned around again if there was gear that increased refresh rates based on maximum MP, instead of a flat rate.
    (0)

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Try laying down a few curaga3-4's, remove debuffs, and maintain a haste cycle on a Galka MP pool outside of [A]/VW without taking a breather.

Inb4 /RDM
    It's bad, and you should feel bad for thinking about it.
    (2)

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast