Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Dev. Posts

Hybrid View

Interim Report – Sorry to keep you all waiting!

Hello everyone! I have a message from Producer Akihiko Matsui to share with you all. Please take a moment to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    Hello.

Thank you all very much for your continued patronage of FINAL FANTASY XI.

Firstly, let me apologize that so much time has passed since my last post.

I have been struggling to comprehend each of the below points and organize everything to tell you all, and before I knew it, months had already passed by.
    • How has Vana'diel changed in the past two years?
    • How do all of the players feel about these changes?
    • What kinds of discussions are taking place within the development and operations team?
    • With what kind of intentions and ways of thinking is work being done?
    • What are the plans from here on out?

I'm at a point that I'd really like more time for all of this, but I can't just keeping saying that.

With that said, I'd like to share with you an interim report of what we are doing right now and what we would like to do moving forward.

Regarding the Roadmap

I apologize for the delays with the currently released roadmap. There are two reasons for this.

The first reason is that since the schedule was released before the announcement of Seekers of Adoulin, the effects of the development load for the expansion were much larger than anticipated.

The second reason is that the hours needed to work on and discuss all of the forum topics was much greater than we anticipated.

While we looked into a revised version of the roadmap to release, instead of redoing everything that was up until March 2013, we feel it's necessary to take time to build out a proper development plan from next year on, starting with redefining development plans and then deciding on the practical work content so that we do not disappoint all of you.

It's hard for me to ask this, as we've already caused everyone to worry and be inconvenienced, but please give us a bit more time.

Understanding the Current Situation

I have been reading over what everyone thinks, not only from all of the posts made on the forum, but from players' blogs, Twitter, and other sources.

For example, there's the concern with content and that the necessary content is not reaching the necessary people.

When thinking about the amount of content made thus far, it's not that the amount of content is skimpy by any means; however, I believe a contributing factor for this concern is that a lot of older content requires more than a party, but it has become quite difficult for a lot of players to do things with full parties these days.

Currently, due to the fact that there's a lack of low-difficulty and casual content, a majority of players are focusing on high-difficulty content, and there has been a lot of feedback that even though they log in they can't do what they want (nothing to do). Also affecting this is that things have become more complicated since adjustments have been made to drop rates and item stats.

Development Plans

With all that said, to make it easy to understand, we will be redefining and deciding on themes for the below points:
    • Content structure
    • Jobs overall
    • How to add stats to items
    • How to hand out rewards

I'd personally like to see players that are below level 99 reach level 99 quickly (we will be looking into whether we can make adjustments so that the level 95 limit quest can be completed solo), and for players that have reached level 99, I’d like to create separate elements such as solo, group, casual, hardcore, and provide game play after defining themes for new elements and adjusted elements.

It's necessary to make adjustments to increase the win/success rate for content that has already been played out by the top groups so that players that come later can catch-up.

For example, strengthening players through job adjustments or the addition of gear may work, but another good method is to directly lower the difficulty of content. Of course this is all on the basis that we provide another challenge and even better rewards for the top groups.

Also, in regards to existing content, we will be redefining the number of people required, the level spread, and reward difficulty, and look into making adjustments to fit the needs of the current Vana'diel.
    (I feel it would be best to work on the paths to these various types of content for adventurers that are coming back after a long break.)

In regards to item stats, this is a crucial growth element as you cannot level up past level 99. It's necessary to release items with stronger and really good stats in the future. For how you receive items, as many of you have requested on the forums, I'd like to have a point system in place for when you miss out on a reward that has its drop rate set low due to difficulty adjustments.

Additionally, there are a number of things that need to be decided such as aspects of battle that are not balanced up to level 99. For example, I believe the workings of the entire enmity system needs adjustment and the problem of TP given to enemies is an important issue to look into.

Once the framework of all of this has been decided, I will talk to the staff and we’ll decide exactly what we would like to do from here on out. Once all the details have been organized I will be sure to share the future plans with you all. Of course that will not be the ultimate finalized plan, as we would like to really hear your feedback now more than ever.

In Closing

I believe there are quite a few of you who would like me to communicate swiftly and with a high frequency like when I was using Twitter. Back then I was able to focus on Twitter all day long, but unfortunately these days I'm not as free as I once was. Sorry about that.

However, once things calm down a bit I would like to show my face a bit more.
    (Even though I am taking notes while I read the forum, I haven't been able to handle it all…)

I’m still in the midst of learning what it means to be producer, but I am doing the very best I can and would like to build a FINAL FANTASY XI with you all that will be loved by everyone.

Again, thank you all so much for your continued support.
    (79)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Phaffi
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    solo contenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    (15)
    Last edited by Phafi; 11-29-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Player
    Nice words, I only hope it is followed with the same kind of action. I admittedly have lately felt very disappointed with things being done, I believe right now that you are good with telling us things, the only question we still have yet to really see answered is, is it all talk, or will you show us that you are ready to turn this game into something greater than it has ever been before?

I like that you say you are looking at player feedback and taking it into account, and while I do not necessarily doubt this, I do wish that player ideas could be used a bit more often. Some of my more personal problems I have seen this with are things such as Excalibur's problems with Enspells, and RDM's new SP ability which the player base easily shared what we thought it should be, with almost everyone in agreement, however it was seemingly ignored. I do not expect everything to be done exactly as we ask, but when players agree in large enough numbers about something, it should mean something, as well as when good points are brought up against something thought to be an error, or flawed feature. Something else along these lines is the problem with Blue Magic Additional Effects on many spells, and their low land rate, I think the fact of how often this is reported as a bug, speaks for itself how bad this problem is and why it should not be ignored.
    (14)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Currently, due to the fact that there's a lack of low-difficulty and casual content, a majority of players are focusing on high-difficulty content, and there has been a lot of feedback that even though they log in they can't do what they want (nothing to do).
    So basically they are telling us that everyone is capped on easy content and don't do legion because it's too hard, so that when they log, poof, nothing to do ? Nope you didn't get it, people don't do it because the rewards are gimp. Put nyzul gear into legion and you'll see what I mean.
    (1)

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    So basically they are telling us that everyone is capped on easy content and don't do legion because it's too hard, so that when they log, poof, nothing to do ? Nope you didn't get it, people don't do it because the rewards are gimp. Put nyzul gear into legion and you'll see what I mean.
    Oh yeah, cause Khepri pieces are totally gimp. Same with Huginn feet, Tenryuu tekko +1, and let's not forget the Iaso pieces too! Legion is too difficult for pick-up groups to do, and thus isn't shouted for like Voidwatch is. Recall that the subject is the gear, not about "x jobs are useless, so why gear it?", so the response of job usage is irrelevant. Then, the gear is important and makes Legion a priority in some job's optimal sets.
    (12)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprias View Post
    Oh yeah, cause Khepri pieces are totally gimp. Same with Huginn feet, Tenryuu tekko +1, and let's not forget the Iaso pieces too! Legion is too difficult for pick-up groups to do, and thus isn't shouted for like Voidwatch is. Recall that the subject is the gear, not about "x jobs are useless, so why gear it?", so the response of job usage is irrelevant. Then, the gear is important and makes Legion a priority in some job's optimal sets.
    While some of the Abj gear is amazing like Iaso Head/Feet, I have to say the price for -1s are very, very, deterring.
    (10)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    While some of the Abj gear is amazing like Iaso Head/Feet, I have to say the price for -1s are very, very, deterring.
    This is a result of less materials being available, and some of those materials are from Legion alone. While the prices are incredibly spiked, the value of gil has decreased as an inflation has occurred from NPCing items being an increased phenomena. Also, getting the craft skill level to do these synths is a huge investment. However, at least it is much easier nowadays to make 1M than it was when Abyssea first released.

Edit: Implied that making 1M is easier to make, thus the cost of the items isn't as hard as it seems.
    (2)
    Last edited by Cyprias; 11-29-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    This.

Get rid of some logs, and add more of the lvl 100+ synth materials to VW. Make it easier to reach 110, and cheaper to synth the gear.
    (5)

Player
    In regards to item stats, this is a crucial growth element as you cannot level up past level 99. It's necessary to release items with stronger and really good stats in the future. For how you receive items, as many of you have requested on the forums, I'd like to have a point system in place for when you miss out on a reward that has its drop rate set low due to difficulty adjustments.

Additionally, there are a number of things that need to be decided such as aspects of battle that are not balanced up to level 99. For example, I believe the workings of the entire enmity system needs adjustment and the problem of TP given to enemies is an important issue to look into.

If this stuff actually comes to pass, I shall never speak of the Development Bros failing to wear pants ever again.
    (17)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Let us, the player base with programming skills, contribute to development.
    (5)

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast