Player

Afflatus Misery: Creating an alternative WHM play style

While afflatus solace did a good job of augmenting the normal MO of a white mage, misery has been left as little more than an ability activated when needed for esuna, before swapping back to solace.

With a view to making afflatus misery an actual alternative stance and play style to solace, I have thought of a few spells to enable this:

Regenja
    Cost - 150 MP
    Cast - 5 seconds
    Recast - 60 seconds
    Duration - 6 minutes
    Self target only, affects allies in area of effect
    Heals 1% of max HP/3 seconds.
    Afflatus Misery active: Regenja can be stacked with itself, up to five times, for a maximum of 5% of max HP/tick.
    Regen merits work as normal (+1-5 HP/tick), cleric's briault adds 0.1%, for 1.1%/tick.

Curaja
    Cost - 200 MP
    Cast - 3 seconds
    Recast - 30 seconds
    Self target only, affects allies in area of effect
    Heals 25% of missing HP.
    Afflatus Misery active: Each successive cast of Curaja increases the amount healed, to a maximum of 50% of missing HP. Cancelling Afflatus Misery will reset the counter.
    Cure potency+ will work as normal, with CP+50% raising the base Curaja to 37.5% of missing HP, and the cap to 75%.

Divine Shield
    Cost - 35 MP
    Cast - 3 seconds
    Recast - 10 seconds
    Duration - 5 minutes
    Single target, self only
    Increases shield block rate.
    Afflatus Solace active: Increases rate of enmity decay.
    Afflatus Misery active: Converts 10% of damage taken to MP.
    (0)

Character
    Dmer
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The problem with Misery is that is so situational. Solace is just by far more beneficial to idle in. Misery is for Esuna and fights where you know you will take damage (such as wyrms where everyone is standing in range of AOE).

The regenja spell you mention wouldn't be worth the stance change when you can simply Accession + regen 3. You don't even need to be in range to cast it.

Your Divine Shield spell seems like it might be nice if a shield isn't required to receive the two benefits of being in a stance. If it would require a shield then it has the same problem that misery has itself: the need to switch stance (or gear in this case) prior to taking damage.
    (0)
    99: WHM | RDM | SCH | SMN | BLM | BRD | BLU | DNC | BST | MNK
    90: PLD | WAR | SAM

Player
    The idea is to create an entirely alternative style, while afflatus solace would be for back line, instant curing, misery would provide front line, gradual/continuous healing. WHM would require gear suitable for being on the front line, of course, and what I posted was intended to just be a start.

As it stands, misery may as well be removed and solace made a trait. Having a JA that's just used as a prelude to casting esuna seems pointless.
    (0)

Character
    Dmer
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Aw, this is for lolmeleewhms? ok.
    (0)
    99: WHM | RDM | SCH | SMN | BLM | BRD | BLU | DNC | BST | MNK
    90: PLD | WAR | SAM

Player
    I thought that SE effectively intented misery to be for melee WHMs, or to encourage WHMs to melee, along with mystic boon. Afflatus misery just feels like they had an idea and started implementing it, then changed their minds or gave up and forgot about it.

Hmm, to add some more:

Curasa
    Cost - 50 MP
    Cast - 2 seconds
    Recast - 10 seconds
    Single target version of curaja, shares the same counter (successive casts of curasa will boost curaja, and vice versa).

Covenant
    Cost - 65 MP
    Cast - 4 seconds
    Recast - 60 seconds
    Duration - 10 minutes
    Single target, not self
    Adds additional HP restoral to any healing spell used on the target.
    Afflatus Misery active: Allows Covenant to be stacked on a target, up to 5 times.
    Bonus HP restored: 50+1/3*MND*# times stacked stacked
    (0)
    Last edited by Gwathuial; 03-20-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Character
    Ahrana
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 96
    I'll preface this with saying that I haven't played since January, but I found misery very useful....before abyssea.

In einherjar and limbus it did pretty well. Skeletons, bats, spiders, triple bats, leeches, and the like that did 250-300 damage AoE + status effects became jokes with the addition of mistery + cura + esuna. The ability to quickly strip off status effects like blind, slow, or attack down from the entire party with one quick cast kept damage output high, and being able to cure up the middling 250-300 damage with a cheap spell was a godsend. I still remember I would cruise through rooms where other white mages struggled, because they didn't take the time to learn when to use misery.

But then abyssea came, and misery became a lot less worth while. The ability of monsters to throw out wtfpwn aoe damage, aura's that couldn't be cured, and other such mechanics just turned white mage back into the stand in the back and curebomb job that it was before the esuna/cura patch. My job being able to be played to "full effect" as a dual box cure bomber was part of the reason why I lost interested and moved on, although I'm still thinking about coming back if they manage to bring back the feeling of being a useful member if you do more then cure bomb all the fights.
    (0)

Character
    Kaych
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I really like this idea Gwathuial. I mele all the time as WHM. It saves alot of MP with Cura, Esuna and Mystic Boon. What I would also like is Hastega and possibly make Auspice last longer. I personally go /sch so I can have sublimation up incase I get slept. If there was a way to wake ourselfs up also, without subbing /sch that would be great^_- I remember that the when you got cured in other Final Fantasy games, you woke up from the sleep, that includes the cures from Regen. Maybe that should be implemented for Afflatus Misery + Regenja. The Regenja would keep people awake(and would only be active as long as you mele)^_-
    (0)
    Its sometimes best to agree to disagree ^_-
    -----
    "/sigh factor" is when:
    - You are asked to set your HP when you already have your HP set the place you exit. O.o?
    - You need to repeat a quest a 100 times in order to cap your fame >_>

Character
    Aleste
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Regenja
    Very overpowered. For 750mp, recovering 5.5%/tic (average DD would have ~1,300hp, so ~70/tic) to all allies in range puts fully merited+geared regen3ga and regen4 to shame. Once the initial cost to get regenja boosted to that potency, the 150mp cost seems fairly cheap for a 6 minute super-regen-ga.

Curaja / Curasa
    Pretty much a quicker casting version of a curaga/cura crossbreed... I can't be the only one thinking that 75% hp (~700+) recovered to everyone for 200 mp seems a bit high. Could be abused by casting curasa on self multiple times times until the potency ramps up to 'efficient' levels.

Divine Shield
    Interesting, but does it require a shield to gain the benefit? I can't see many whitemages willingly choosing to switch from staff (22% potency boost) to a club/shield combo (Side note: why aren't there many cure potency clubs? max 10% single, 12% double dweomer).

Covenant
    Seems a viable spell to cast on anyone tanking (moreso on a paladin), as the additional curing will help reduce the amount of healing that the whitemage would have to cast. Has use for backline whitemages, as the recast timer matches the recast on misery allowing them to toggle in and cast. It's an interesting idea in practice, although you'd definitely need to tweak the formula.

Example: With 5 casts (w/ average 130 MND), you'll have an additional 266 HP (truncated) recovery for every healing magic spell. Casting cure 1 (w/ AF3+2 pants) would return ~15 MP on a 8MP (ie give you 7 MP every cast) cost spell and heal for 300. >.>;

I'm mildly confused as to why your spells are increased by successive casts (with relation to misery being up) rather than taking damage, which is what boosts misery in the first place ("Inspires you to draw strength from the damage you take."). Your spells seem rather overpowered IMHO, although, whether or not that was the intended purpose could be up for debate.

The main problem with misery isn't the fact that the spells are underpowered (It's the reverse, the spells are incredibly powerful and efficient) it has more to do with the situations when misery becomes more viable than solace are grossly far and few between.

In the games current state (ie. abyssea), most of the NMs have ludacrisly stupid auras (para, silence, amnesia, petrification, doom) that significantly reduces the viability of front lining. In addition to severely hampering your ability to heal, most of these NM's also like to spam heavy AOE damage, whether it be TP moves or magic; and as it stands, it is far too risky to warrant sticking a whitemage up into the fray where a Blizz-ga followed by a TP move will drop a mage.

In order to efficiently front-line you'll be needing to recover MORE MP with mystic boon (assuming an agreeable TP rate) than you would by taking a knee outside of range, whilst at the same time healing for MORE HP (remember, you're now in range; you'll also not have cureskin to help mitigate damage aswell) with less potency gear to do so.

Afflatus Misery seems to be designed with this purpose in mind, as the esuna and cura series become exceptionally efficient (recovering more hp for less mp cost) when a whitemage is closer to their allies. Although this hasn't helped reduce the chance of us getting 2-3 hit ko'd in the slightest, or us suffering incredibly debilitating ailments; and that is the direction I'd prefer SE to have a look at. Even if it was some minor enhancing-type spells such as:

Some sort of afflatus misery-aura spell that limits incoming damage to say.. 30% of maximum HP, allowing us to take 3 good hits and still be standing. Under solace, limit it to maybe ~90% max HP; thusly back line jobs won't get insta-ko'd by anything coming their way assuming they're standing near their whitemage. Maybe have it take MP for every time it takes effect.

Some self-targeting enhancing spell (with a decent duration) that removes a single ailment every 10 (15?) or so seconds (timer runs from when spell was initially cast) would be pretty awesome when front lining. We would still suffer the effects of a nasty para/silence/petrify, but only temporarily, although, it would lower the viability of esuna.
    (0)

Player
    Wow, responses.
    Yeah, they are pretty overpowered, though that was half-intentional as a starting point.

Thinking about altering them:

Regenja - Still AoE, self target only, getting rid of the stacking stuff. Instead it has a base value of say, 10 hp/tick (and maybe 1 mp/tick), but after taking damage, is temporarily boosted to say 50 hp/tick (+5 mp/tick) for ~10 seconds. Maybe only after taking damage above a certain threshold value, so regular hits aren't enough to activate it.

Covenant - Altering the additional healing effect to be like the misery effect, so the additional hp healed varies based on last damage taken (by the target of the spell, rather than the WHM). Under solace it would just give some small base amount, +50~100.

Conviction - Increases attack while decreasing damage taken. Base value of around +10/-10%. Under misery values increase as hp decreases, cap of something like +100/-50% at 20% hp.

And no, I didn't intend for divine shield to require a shield for the additional effects, although it's not so bad (Owleyes + shield).
    (0)