Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Beast for the Feast

The air is getting colder and the leaves have changed colors. This can only mean that Thanksgiving is here! Of course, what would Thanksgiving be without a feast? The Community Team is doing their best to coordinate with the culinary guild to create the tastiest foods Vana’diel has to offer. However, their hands are tied because they’re busy with the preparations and have yet to secure the main meat dish! Adventurers from all over Vana’diel must slay the tastiest beast and bring it to the feast!

The sky is the limit here, so bring in any kind of monster! (We want to try them all!) Provide up to 5 screenshots to show off how your hunt was executed as well as a short commentary as to why you chose your beast for the feast and what adventurers can expect taste-wise.

Three lucky winners will receive a contest-exclusive rare dish of Rolanberry Delightaru to decorate their Mog Houses with. Also, all participants will receive an Athena Orb!

So put on your Hunter's Beret and bring home the Behemoth!

Contest Entry Period
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 to Friday, November 30, 2012 6:00pm PST

How to Enter
    Hunt down a FINAL FANTASY XI monster for this year's Thanksgiving main course and show us how you caught it! Any monster is fine!

Post the following with your entry:
    1. Screenshots of the hunt (up to 5 images)
    2. In 500 words or less, comment on the below:
    3. What were the keys to getting this marvelous monster for the feast?
    4. Why do you think this monster is the best choice for the feast?
    5. What can adventurers expect taste-wise?

*When posting your screenshot images, please utilize image hosting sites such as Flickr, Imgur, Yfrog, etc. as attachments will not be enabled.

Please Note
    • One entry per person. If multiple entries are posted, only the first one submitted will be accepted.
    • Prospective contestants must have a North America Square Enix Account to enter.
    • Normal forum rules apply to all posts within the contest thread.
    • Square Enix reserves the right to judge whether or not material is appropriate for public display.

Inappropriate submissions will be moderated. If entries fall under any of the below categories, it will result in a disqualification and the post will be deleted by a moderator:
    • Any posts containing obscenity, vulgarity, discrimination, or any other offensive subject matter
    • Infringements upon copyright/intellectual property, personal credit, privacy, etc.
    • Counter to public order and/or morals
    • Submissions with content judged to be grossly deviant from the established theme
    • Images that have been heavily modified by photo editing software

Prizes
    Three Grand Prize Winners
    • A "Rolanberry Delightaru" in-game furnishing
    Name:  forum1121_01.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  38.2 KB
    • An Athena Orb - This orb grants entry into the Heroines' Holdfast battlefield.
    All Participants Receive
    • An Athena Orb - This orb grants entry into the Heroines' Holdfast battlefield.
    *Prizes are all in-game items and do not have any monetary value.
    *All prizes will be distributed to the character associated with the forum account that submits the entry.

Selection
    The Community Team will select winners based on screen shot quality and overall creativity of the entry.

Winners will be announced on or around December 4, 2012.

SQUARE ENIX OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES
    All entries and other materials (the "Entry Materials") (including all copyright, trademark, and other proprietary rights associated therewith) submitted by you become the property of Square Enix upon submission, and Entry Materials will not be returned to any contestant. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge that Square Enix will own all rights to use, modify, and make derivative works of the Entry Materials, without separate compensation to you or any other person or entity. You agree to take, at Square Enix's expense, any further action (including, without limitation, execution of affidavits and other documents) reasonably requested by Square Enix to effect, perfect, or confirm Square Enix's ownership rights as set forth above in this paragraph. Entry Materials may be used by contestants only for purposes of the Contest or for private, personal, non-public viewing. Entry materials received by Square Enix may be destroyed by Square Enix at any time following the Contest.

ORIGINAL WORK OF AUTHORSHIP

You hereby warrant and represent that (a) as between you and parties other than Square Enix, you own all rights to all Entry Materials submitted by you; and (b) other than the fact that all intellectual property embodied in and related to the FFXI game, including all copyrighted works and trademarks and derivative works thereof, are the exclusive property of Square Enix, all such Entry Materials are original works of authorship on your part and have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work and do not violate, misappropriate, or infringe any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary right of any other person or entity.
    (10)
    Gildrein - Community Team

Player

Behold! The Dark Rider!
    Upon successful capture of the Rider, I was able to prepare him thus;
    Bound and tied like a succulent rack of lamb. (All equipment was kept and will be given out at the Starlight Celebration!)
    *Chef's Note* This delicious meal might taste a little like horse meat, but rest assured this equine is exquisite! ENJOY!
    (1)

Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Plentiful dishes, uncommon dishes, rare dishes, exotic dishes; all spectacular in their own right. But none measure up to this single opportunity to feast upon a dish that will never be seen again on vana'diel!! The taste... of a God!!

As he slaved away many a long night to prepare himself for the challenge of bringing you the truly ultimate dish, the Dark Knight Godofgods, sought out to defeat the Dark God Promathia. He marched his way to the battle grounds with his Twilight Scythe in hand, to confront the Twilight God Himself.

In a battle that will be remembered for all of eternity on abyssea, he is bringing home a dish created from the fallen God. For one time only, at the Moogle's Thanksgiving Feast, will the world have a chance to partake in this legendary dish. A dish that can only be descried as... Heavenly
    (1)

Character
    Clairefox
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

"Delicious" Delphine <3

This year I was going to host a Thanksgiving most Vegan
    Not for me of course, for I'm the carnivorous of most,
    But for all my friends, who's like for red meat is most seethin
    So, I set out on a quest to find the most delicious "roast"

To capture this feast, I set out on Beast,
    Sickle in hand, and with my most trusty comrade,
    We traversed over the Rolanberry, even collecting some while we harried

Until..

There yonder..

Our main dish was marinating in the shade
    surrounded by smashed berries and the Grubs that they fed
    She looked already divine on a platter of green
    most tender and moist, of course the obvious choice

Some parts grilled and some baked,
    Our friends ate and ate!
    sauteed vines in a rolanberry sauce,
    molboro steaks made just to taste,
    mashed buds with extra Selbina Butter,
    She wasn't just the main course,
    Delicieuse Delphine was a most delicious whole dinner!

(sorry for the poem getting less rhyme-y,
    I was too busy drooling over miss Delphine's hiney)
    (5)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I believe a dish that matches the theme of giving thanks is what is appropriate. The basics of life are what's important. Specifically, life itself. Because at any moment, you will be murdered by me.

The bodies of each of my victims are buried (You don't get to know where) and forgotten...

...until now. Well, this particular time the magics of this area seem to have reanimated the corpses of some of my victims, but that is no trouble.

With Thankgiving, what better way of celebrating your appreciation of life than by devouring the Decayed Flesh of the less fortunate? Adventurers can expect to learn to truly appreciate life once they have bitten into such flesh. As the small pockets of mysterious liquid amongst the meat explode into your mouth, you will have a difficult time choking it down as mixed drops of blood, saliva and pus drip down your chin and onto your plate.

So as you chow down this year, just remember to be thankful that you are still alive.

I look forward to killing (and maybe eating) you all soon!

(5)

Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

No Feast Too Grand

Greetings! I am Toadie, a mere “jack of all trades” that loves to cook and leader of Team Toad. My journey begins with my fellow members: Uloulo, the brilliant Scholar, and Lupa, the graceful Dancer. It was up to me to provide the main dish for the grandest feast of this year’s holiday. Only the finest and greatest food ever seen should grace the table for this feast. No feast was too grand to hunt down a mighty beast for the main dish. After much discussion, debate, and deliberation, I concluded that a Thanksgiving feast is nothing without a massive roasted divine bird, Suzaku!

We traveled to the far-off lands in the sky whispered about in legends, Tu’Lia. We quickly made our way to Ve’Lugannon Palace to explore its twisty passages in search of the cutlass we needed to draw out the Brigandish Blade. It was a long battle before we could claim the Gem of the South from his carcass. Elated, we made haste to the Shrine of Ru’Avitau. Once inside, we navigated through the many floors to find Faust diligently keeping guard. It was no small feat, but we finally claimed the Summerstone from within his shattered remains. All that was left to do in our hunt was to take the gem and stone to Suzaku’s island and use them to flush it out of hiding.

Once there, we rested and prepped ourselves for what we hoped would be a glorious and triumphant battle. All went smoothly until Lupa took a Flare in the face. It wasn’t long before Uloulo and I met a similar fate. We ended up blistered in places we didn’t know existed! Our eyebrows were burned clean off and our eyelashes were singed into frayed curls! Defeated, we ran like the fried Tarutarus we were before we became Suzaku’s feast. Burned to the base of our bones, humiliated to high heaven, but not completely cooked beyond cognition, I pondered the options before us. Admit defeat and eat humble pie, or change our battle plan and return to Tu’Lia to combat Suzaku once more. I concluded that no feast was too grand for failure! We mended our charred wounds in preparation for our return to Tu’Lia.

Returning to Tu’Lia with greater caution, we flushed Suzaku out once more. In the end we finally had slain the beast, looking no better than our first encounter. I now had the massive divine bird with which to prepare the greatest dish ever known. Rubbing it down with sage and black pepper, I stuffed it with white bread seasoned with sunflower seeds, bay leaves and wild onions. Delicately glazed in honeyed rolanberry sauce, it was roasted to perfection with popotos and winterflower. One bite of its savory sweetness renders the soul to sigh in quiet joy.

From my kitchen to yours, I wish you a happy holiday and pray you enjoy the merriment and food with your most cherished companions!
    (10)

Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    love that last pic Toadie
    (0)

Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Thank you!

It took some time to get the emotes timed right so it looked like everyone was celebrating.
    (0)

Character
    Vasche
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

To the Kraken!

The beast I seek dwells down by the bay.

I make my preparations and it's time to slay!

To the island now, I've spotted my prey!

Die now Kraken, you'll be my feast this day!

This delicacy can be cooked in any way!

The outcome is so delicious and moist!

It's clear to me that Kraken's the best choice!
    (3)

Character
    Nivinyraal
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    My Links Thanksgiving dinner would first start with appetizers: Flint Caviar on Goblin Crackers, Meat Chiefkabobs, and Herbed Crawler Eggs.

For the main course, I decided to go with a tur-duck-en style dish (small bird inside medium bird inside large bird) made from rare locally raised birds and ingredients sourced from the best stock Vanadiel has to offer.

I start by acquiring the ingredients for our main course:

Habergoass from Batallia Downs(S). The mild climate and elevation of this area breeds an absolutely succulent species of Ba which has long been extinct on the Quon continent called the Habergoass which feeds off of organically grown amateur adventurers. Naturally for our main course, this birds Earthy taste is a perfect addition to the dish.

Chary Apkallu from Mount Zhayolm. The hostile and smoke filled volcanic mountain and ashey soil far to the east is home to a rare Apkallu named Chary Apkallu whose smokey, charred taste and tender minerally flesh compliment the earthy taste of the Habergoass and the local vegetables deliciously. An absolute must for our main course.

Okyupete from Misareaux Coast. The thick lush grasslands and stream fed waterfall outside of the Tavnazian Stonghold in Misareaux Coast has bred an exquisite breed of bird, Okyupete, which thrives at the base of the falls in the overcast weather of the coast. The salty air and fertile land has given this bird the best food possible, and created an environment comparable only to the circumstances existent in the black Tajima-ushi strain of Wagyū cattle (commonly called Kobe') and it is reflected in the flavor of this bird raising it to a pinnacle all its own. We would accept no less for such a fine dining experience.

The three birds are first de-boned and then layered inside one another (Habergoass inside Chary Apkallu inside Okyupete) with layers of Galkan Sausage (removed from casing) in between each. The Okyupete is then sewn shut at the breastbone sealing the two smaller birds inside. The "Okykallugoass" is then rubbed with a spice mixture of Black Pepper, Mhaura Garlic and Misareaux parsley and braised in a large pot with with Olive Oil, San D' Orian Carrots, Wild Onions, Mithran Tomatos, and Popotos.

Our main course will be served with Roasted Corn, Beaugreen Sautee, Nopales Salad, Pumpkin Soup and Karni Yarik. Assuming that by now we are not all passed out with the Itis, drooling in our chairs at the dinner table, we will also be serving dessert: Apple and Rolanberry Pie.

Happy Thanksgiving all
    (4)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast