Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Nezkeys
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    by the way what do i press to back out of windower to check links (ive just installed it and gonna try backing out and back in)
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezkeys79 View Post
    I tried it but it made the graphics settings worse. when i tried to alter them i was given a very limited graphical config compared to the official ffxi config. Windowed mode made my game lag and I lost the chat function (but it did warn it would have negative effects before applying it).
    Hmm... what can you tell me about your computer hardware and OS? This might be something that can be fixed with troubleshooting.

To be honest its not my idea of a game if i am forced to keep backing out to check a faq or forum. I want sufficient clues/ info in game (but not handheld) to stay there. Not to mention disrupting the flow its kind of like cheating or being helped all the way if i am constantly referring to stuff on websites/forums.
    I like to think of the community websites as additional UI, such as a quest guide being in addition to the help text you get in game.

The swimming/flying chocobo was the only cosmetic suggestion I made, unless they make an expansion or new areas to make it more functional. I dont know what you mean by closed off areas either? If i can walk from bastok to san d'oria etc then I should be able to fly over that too. of course it zones but so what they can make it zone higher up its not impossible however I would prefer a zoneless world map like FFX its just more seamless.
    It would need a new expansion to make it functional. There are several reasons why.

There are zones that exist that you can't access in the present that exist in the past for example, so those zones would need to be remade for the present day, as well as other areas we can't access.

Many of the zones were never meant to be flown over. This is a problem because they might be using traditional game mapping techniques to save resources such as using a skybox or unused areas. Take for example this video of an unused/incomplete zone from FFXI, you'll notice the graphics around the edge of the map are incomplete. This is common in many games, but FFXI has to do this quite a bit in order to run on older computers and support platforms like the PS2.

Additionally, any time you moved into a new area, you'd have the old loading screen come up, since FFXI is designed intensively with zones (it would require a major and hugely expensive overhaul to implement this).

Stuff like voice acting or flying chocobos might seem cosmetic and easy to do in nature, but they take a lot of work to implement, let along implement right, and often times you have to design the game to do this from the get-go.

At best we might see flying chocobos for Seekers of Aldouin areas, if SE implemented them from the start for those areas, but we'd have to ask them for that specifically.
    (0)

Character
    Nezkeys
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    its a load of rubbish. unistalling it sticking with the original stuff
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You might want to try these steps for windowed mode:

When using full screen mode FINAL FANTASY XI, you will be unable to switch applications while playing.

To utilize windowed mode which will allow changing applications while running the game:
    - Select "Start"
    - Select "Programs"
    - Select "PlayOnline"
    - Select "FINAL FANTASY XI"
    - Select "FINAL FANTASY XI Config"
    - Select the "General" tab
    - Check the "Start in Windowed mode" box

While playing in windowed mode, you will be able to navigate to other applications with your mouse/task bar or by pressing Alt+Tab.
    (0)

Character
    Nezkeys
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    i used windowed mode all yesterday but the game definitely runs slower when using it and frame rates are choppy, but like i said there is a warning it may do this depending on system using. I figured out why the bottom line of chat was obscured though....the task bar needed to be dragged down. ill continue using it though cause its handy being able to check links etc
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2