Character
    Vahnziox
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

New player dissapointed

Hello people.

I tried playing Final Fantasy XI, about 6 months ago and reached level 60 by the help of about 3 -5 very nice people. (helping me do limit break)

After about a 5 month break i tried to play the game again, i reached level 70, but quickly found that there are no items on AH at my level, nor the items i need to have the items crafted, NOR a person to answer my /yell in Jeuno even if I did have the items to craft it. So im stuck with one conclusion..

either grindingly level my own crafts to the appropriate level, then farm my own items and craft my own gear. OR .... stop playing this game entirely.

I have currently chosen the latter. If someone would be so kind as to explain at what point this game becomes enjoyable and enriched with teamwork and good ole "MMO" fun, it would be greatly appreciated. Or let me know if in fact the game is a shear solo game, and a linkshell is just a chat room to get you through some boring moments?

Thank you
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniolaut View Post
    If someone would be so kind as to explain at what point this game becomes enjoyable and enriched with teamwork and good ole "MMO" fun, it would be greatly appreciated. Or let me know if in fact the game is a shear solo game, and a linkshell is just a chat room to get you through some boring moments?
    The game has changed dramatically. It's not a game that ranges from 1-75 anymore. It's a game that centers on 99 and offers very little before then. Trying to max your gear before then, as sad as it may sound, is pointless. It's increasingly complicated to do (as you noticed yourself) and pretty pointless to begin with, as any given level is only a very short interlude to the next, up until 99, and gear itself doesn't matter nearly as much for those levels, as long as you keep up with weapons.

That means...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniolaut View Post
    either grindingly level my own crafts to the appropriate level, then farm my own items and craft my own gear. OR .... stop playing this game entirely.
    Or stop worrying about those things and get to 90+, where the game finally starts. Everything before then is just wasting time trying to get there. If that doesn't appeal to you and you're one of the people who arbitrarily value the grind to the final level, then this game will no longer offer you much, I'm afraid.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

I agree with Arcon... The game has changed a lot but its still a lot of fun (at least for me) dont let yourself down because of these minor bumps on the road^^ get to 90 and get your aurore/teal/perle sets for starters then start working for better gear
    (0)
    My friends make this game even better

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Or stop worrying about those things and get to 90+, where the game finally starts. Everything before then is just wasting time trying to get there. If that doesn't appeal to you and you're one of the people who arbitrarily value the grind to the final level, then this game will no longer offer you much, I'm afraid.
    How does one get to 90+ when there is no appropriate gear in the first place? Are you suggesting an FC party?
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    How does one get to 90+ when there is no appropriate gear in the first place? Are you suggesting an FC party?
    What does gear have to do with leveling? You don't need armor at all, only weapons if you're melee, nothing if you're a mage. And that holds true until Abyssea at Lv70+, where you can join worm parties or Dom Ops. Even there you won't need much gear to be able to join, although at that point several cheap options are available (such as cruor gear and trial weapons).

@Daniolaut:
    Like Lyberty said, the game is still fun, the focus just shifted, that's all. If you can hold out until the higher levels, you'll find plenty of things to do and often also people to do them with.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    So you're suggesting that this guy go out pantsless. Nice.
    (2)

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    buy equipment from npc's
    (0)

What does gear has to do with leveling nowadays? People dont bother about your gear when you are lvling in abyssea... Its not a big deal anymore, that being said just get a weapon and go have some fun! @Daniolaut: I just saw that we are in the same server, i would help you out getting some stuff done but I am taking a break from the game for personal reasons, I hope when I get back you are still around take care and enjoy the game!
    (0)
    My friends make this game even better

you have to let go of your old trappings wanting the best gear for every level.

basically, get npc gear, then maybe collect your AF1, then get that ugly ass abyssea gear. start building your magian weapon. and, boom, people will care about you and help you collect the gear you should have.

as far as gear to beat maat, if you get in a decent LS, i bet people would loan you whatever it is suggested for the maat fight. if they still have any of the gear, haha. i do see you're thf, however. i personally find steal + gear jinx for that maat fight. you could do it naked! get in an LS and they'll help you farm that testimony...
    (1)

Character
    Vahnziox
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    LOL I am VERY thankful for all the replies so far. I had to read all of them until someone finally realized why i was needing gear at level 70. Prior to level 70 i didnt really care.. TOOO much about gear but you do need some

Yeah at level 70 you either need THF AF (im a THF) OR you need gear to carry you better through the Maat battle. The likeliness someone is kind enough to loan me gear is not a completely bad idea, but its very unrealistic. As you see here most people are out to make a mockery of new player not help them LOL ... if you dont know what im talking about, let me remind you of the most used coined term "noob"

I did manage to find a way to get my testimony, its actually kind of silly that most things arent really solo-able but i manage to find a way .. anyway but think about it.. how fun is an MMO if youre ALWAYS solo-ing everything? (which i have rank 5 in my home nation, and level 5 Jeuno fame, meaning i've solo'ed quite a bit.)

I did try to steal from Maat but only once, and i just felt that it seemed to be a lot of work i've put into the game so far, and yet I'm still solo-ing everything, and have yet to see any really rewarding fun to be had for leveling my jobs....

So .. what do level 99 people do anyway? you guys having loads of fun? Also what is this level 70+ stuff I can do? Abby parties? Dom ops? worm parties?
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast