Character
    Daemythos
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Returning summoner!

Hello friends;

I just returned to the game, after along absence, (left when Abyssea 1st came out..... moving to another country on the other side of the world, tends to hamper the MMO lifestyle)

My SMN is currently @80, and I'm lost after a 2 year absence.

What should I be doing? I think at one time I was working on building a staff for Fenrir, those trials they put out, but I'm not 100% sure anymore as to what I should be doing, or what my goal WAS at the time..heh.

Is scholar the preferred sub job for SMN now? or is it still Whm?

Any new summons I should be aware of? (I dont think so eh?.... still need Odin I)

So lost, lol...

Any advice, or better yet anything I should be reading would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Get to 99 first, it should not be hard. The trial staves are still the best for the avatars you wanna use, so should still work on those, but when you get the chance, do the empyrean armor as well. Keep an eye out for those shouts.

SCH is generally preferred atm, but that won't be the case much longer, seeing how the Embrava nerf is imminent.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Annalise
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Odin is pretty useless. It's not a bad idea to get him, but he really doesn't see any practical use.

Red Mage I would say is the preferred sub. Refresh for self as well as convert is nice. I basically never run out of MP anymore. While solo I have 3/tick refresh before refresh, 6/tick with refresh. Sch may have some uses for weather if your perpetuation set is really bad.

After 80 the bloodpact wards get some nice buffing.

Garuda's is great for movement speed.
    Leviathan's is a pretty potent AoE attack down.
    Shiva's is pretty potent AoE Evasion down.
    Ifrit's is enfire that does ~43/hit at 99
    Ramuh is AoE stun, it can last a really long time, it's really good
    Titan is great, AoE buff Earthen armor, if something hits for 75% of life or more, damage is reduced by 45% (stacks with bard song, up to 95% total combined)
    Carbuncle is AoE multiple status removal, useful at times
    Fenrir ward is useless
    Diabolos Ward is pretty bad. Low accuracy and expensive dispel
    (0)

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
    Odin is pretty useless. It's not a bad idea to get him, but he really doesn't see any practical use.
    Odin's still useful on HNMs ou can't zerg down with PD/Embrava (i.e. Arch Omega/Ultima, I imagine Odin II). After the SP update I can see Odin > Astral Conduit being a very useful combination for a quick burst of damage on these mobs.

As was said, sub RDM in terms of sub job, working on AF3 is good but please don't consider it the "be all and end all" in terms of SMN gear because it just isn't (and too many people think it is). In terms of Magain stavees, work on a Pet:MAB staff and probably Thunder Perp staff (Ramuh is more or less the preferred Avatar in terms of Endgame for Thunderstorm/Shock Squall), the MAB staff in particular is easy to obtain. Also work on upgrading your Relic Armour to +2 because all pieces are very useful.
    (0)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    Odin's still useful on HNMs ou can't zerg down with PD/Embrava (i.e. Arch Omega/Ultima, I imagine Odin II). After the SP update I can see Odin > Astral Conduit being a very useful combination for a quick burst of damage on these mobs.
    Using Odin can only be done once, as it will remove the Astral Flow status. Unless you were referring to Odin > other Avatar, which would work, but regular DDs will still be preferred for Odin II.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm not debating that normal DDs would be better in most circumstances (Arch-omega being an exception due to the PDT), and yes I was referring to the use of your best Meritted nuke immediately after with Astral Conduit. It's situational, same as Alexander (however Alex being the much more useful of the two)
    (0)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Daemythos
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Cheers, thanks for that information everyone.

I must confess, I never actually got my hands on any summoner relic gear, I've done Dyna, but could never seem to get a drop. I was always too busy doing everything else but my own gear advancement, in the end anyways.

...which reminds me I have a few of the main story quest lines to finish, how are they?

In terms of Magain stavees, work on a Pet:MAB staff
    Magain stave? PEt:MAB? magic...attack bonus?

I'm heaps behind everyone, and I suspect all my gear is pretty pathetic nowadays, but that's ok, I'm sure I can tinker away with it.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexterity-Jones View Post
    Magain stave? PEt:MAB? magic...attack bonus?
    It's one of the ice-stick Magian trials, branching off from the main at Trial 846 as far as I know. In terms of what is involved, it is very analogous to the -perpetuation trials.
    (0)
    Last edited by SpankWustler; 11-18-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Character
    Daemythos
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Awesome, thanks for that.

and thanks to you all for the advice. much appreciated.

You can still only do one trial at a time correct?
    (0)
    Last edited by Dexterity-Jones; 11-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I would do the elemental stalves that have perpetuation on them and then swap in Soulscourge after your BP activation.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast