Character
    Rehl
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 60

Good trade craft for BST?

I’m back after a five year break and loving most of the new changes. I heard that some of the crafts have been hit pretty hard and aren't as useful or profitable anymore though. Mainly because of increased drops or floods of materials. I had been focusing on cooking since I’m a BST but I had been hoping to take on an armor crafting skill as well at some point. I had already leveled bonecraft up to about 30 before I left because I kept collecting so many animal parts, but stopped because I didn’t have any leatherworking skill. While I would always want something profitable, I mainly want a craft that will allow me to make my own armor or weapons. I always find that so rewarding in MMOs and making my own beetle set was a joy. Should I stick with BC or find something else?
    (0)

might want to still consider Cooking, at least to a reasonable level to make your consumables. Synergy works nicely with it as well to cut your costs further--use the same mats for the jug pets, but the NQ Synergy result is often the HQ1 Crafting result.

You can fly through levels so fast now, you really may not find yourself going through nearly half the armor/weapon sets you would in years past when XP was such a grindfest. Pretty much, you use mediocre gear to get to cap, then get the good stuff and wear it until it falls apart or SE releases some new shinies you just have to have.

Also, keep in mind that since BST's Charm has been rendered virtually obsolete (in the scope of newer content at least)--those consumables (jug pets, pet biscuits, mulsums, etc.) will be a perpetual cost issue for you. Being able to make most of what you need from readily obtainable ingredients can make a big difference to your bottom line.

If you are in the habit of using /NIN a lot, having other crafts leveled up enough to make your primary NIN tools can come handy as well (ie: Shihei--being able to make elemental tools could be more a luxury unless you plan on using NIN a lot for Proc's).
    (1)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Rehl
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 60
    Thanks very much, I've got a much better grasp of the crafting world now. I was planning on leveling cooking to max for jugs and pet food anyway, but I'll probably take the time I was going to level bonecraft and put it into fishing.
    (0)