Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Suggestions to increase the current state of Summoner for Lv.99

This is gonna get ignored by SE, but still...

Don't usually post suggestions on the OF, but given the current state of Summoner the devs need nudging into giving it worthwhile adjustments into current Abilities.

Blood Pact delay
    As I've maintained when I've posted on the subject as to what Summoner needs, it's a re-working of the Blood Pact delay. Way I see it, there are a few options.
    Option 1: Straight decrease in Blood Pact delay.
    Option 2: Remove the universal timer altogether and allow individual Blood Pacts to be subject to their own timer. Change Blood Pact delay gear to a variant of Fast Cast for Blood Pacts.
    Option 3: Add a "stance" type ability that works like a kind of opposite to Avatar's Favor. Increases perpetuation for a reduction in Blood Pact delay. Like Fan/Saber Dance, have each ability overwrite each other.

Adjustments to current Blood Pacts
    Older Blood Pact: Wards need adjusting. I've posted my opinions on another thread, but I'll it quote here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    Blood Pact Wards.... the newer stuff they've thought through, even if some of their effects are useless (Heavenward Howl anyone?). So, I think the following needs to be changed:
    - Earthen Ward; damage formula atm is: (Lv x2)+50, meaning at Lv.99 your looking at 248 from Stoneskin, which is around 80 less than capped Stoneskin (ignoring Stoneskin gear) from the spell (which can be accessioned). Simple fix, change the formula to (Skill x 0.66), capping at 500 skill like everything else, that's at least equal to Stoneskin from other jobs.
    - Noctoshield; Caps at 13 (not sure if there's any sort of Lv/skill modifier). Make it equal to around -25~-30 at Lv.99, make it affected by skill if you want, but my gimp RDM mule with 140 enhancing can pump out better Phalanxes than my Main's SMN with 536 skill.
    - Fenrir Blood Pacts; For the love of god, remove the moon phase modifier. It makes the Blood Pacts unreliable, so people don't use them instead make them something like;
    -- Ecliptic Growl; Currently +1~7 stats, just make it something like +5 to all stats
    -- Ecliptic Howl; Currently +1~25 Acc/Eva. Making it +15 would put it on par with Blade Madrigal, with the bonus of Evasion (Madrigal still being better due to Song+ gear, Marcato and Soul Voice)
    -- Heavenward Howl; We really don't care about Enaspir. Really. Just get rid of that and make it purely Endrain, duration/potency based on skill or something.
    - Dream Shroud; MAB/MDB +1~10 based on time of day. compare it to Wizard's Roll, +2~12, not based on time of day (however, based partially on luck). Remove the day modifier, make it +7~10
    - Curative Blood Pacts; At least add some sort of modifier (other than TP) that will increase their potency to around 600~700 at least at Lv.99. Making them more potent than Cure IV is excessive, but atm they're pretty tame considering with a subjob that grants access to Cure IV and the gear for it, you can pump out more potent Cures (even if the Blood Pacts are AoE). Remove the TP modifier period.
    In addition:
    - Introduce a high level piercing Blood Pact. Cait Sith is a good opportunity to do this.
    - Introduce a wave of Lv.99 Blood Pact: Rages. Where current Blood Pacts deal sufficient damage in terms of Damage per pact, I'm sure most Summoners would agree that we would like some diversity since we've been using the same damage pacts as we were at 75.
    - This is something that Summoner surely needs in order to increase the effectiveness of enfeebling pacts: Add a message in the chat log when any debuffs inflicted by the avatar wear off.

Elemental Spirits
    As it stands, Elemental Spirits are pretty useless besides LightSpirit for Cures/Buffs. My only suggestion on this would be;
    - Add an ability on a Universal timer (like BP:R/BP:W) to allow to the Summoner to force the spirit to instant cast a spell from the spirit's spell list. The spell will cost the same amount as the spell from any other job, and ignore the spellcasting timer for spirits. This will allow for a little control as to what the spirits cast, as well as give Summoner's a few emergency proc spells.
    (20)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Mokeil
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't think we'll get an actual acknowledgment, either, but a part of me still holds on to hope. If we can get one solid location for all our hopes and ideas it might get a bit more notice, so here goes...

I said it in another thread and I'll go ahead and say it here: I wholeheartedly second the need for changes to the potency of older Wards, and for a change in our BP delay timer. From where I stand, these are the two biggest things holding back Summoner. There are other little things, yes, but these are the two biggest.

For Wards: Anyone subbing Scholar (even, say, a Thief) can give a better AoE Stoneskin and Blink than I can provide from my main job. Both RDM/SCH and SCH/RDM can give an AoE Phalanx (Accession MP Cost: 42) that easily knocks off over 30 damage, but Noctoshield (MP Cost: 92) is stuck at only 13 damage negated. This is not right. We need a potency boost.

For BP Delay: Let's face it, melees have gotten faster than ever these days. Thanks to all the haste and Store TP options out there, it is not hard for them to bust out a solid Weapon Skill at least every 30 seconds. And yet we're stuck back at 45. Cut back on the restriction to -BP delay, allowing us to hit -30 seconds, and suddenly our damage will start to shoot back up to respectable levels. We'll still be outclassed at overall DoT, but our spike damage will be on par with everyone else. Easing up on the -BP delay will also allow us to offer both buffing support and curing support a little easier, too.

Goodness knows, it might also have us actually switching avatars more often, helping to justify that recent, oh-so-awesome change to Avatar recast.

Our Spirits could use some love, too. Until Elemental Siphon came along, I only ever used these as emergency monster distraction devices. Now, they're just disposable batteries. A change to their AI and an ability to choose a spell off of their list to force-ably cast might do the trick.

Avatar's Favor is just loaded with problems. A good place to start looking to make it more usable is to remove the aura potency reset that happens when you use a Blood Pact. I understood that the trade off for the aura was a decrease in damage, but to then set it so that trying to do anything resets the aura? Really now, SE, we might start to get the idea that you all just don't like us at this rate.

There are a couple of other things, but anything else is just nitpicking small stuff. Not that they don't need looking at, but I consider Wards and BP delay the most important, with Spirits and Favor right behind them.
    (5)

Character
    Annalise
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I think your option #2 will be flat out denied because of how SE has said JA timers work in the past. This is why on many jobs, new JAs share timers. There apparently isn't the room to account for all the separate JAs and that's why they are shared.

SMN, through bloodpacts, has two JA timers. One for Rage, one for Ward. They would have to completely rework things to be able to separate all bloodpact timers.

Not to say I wouldn't love separate timers, because I would. Yet this is why they would not.
    (0)

They could just separate magical and physical abilities as a workaround. That would just lead to one, maybe two additional pet commands.
    (0)

Character
    Areayea
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'm glad the split it up into two pacts, for that reason of having to wait a whole minute, but that's just me coming from the PS2 release with smn main most my ffxi career. However, I completely agree the new bps to lvl 99 are worthless, they should have given us better options, and smn used to be more about mp, but now with MM and actually useful gear (remember austere... only like 1 or 2 ava perp-), I think it's safe to say now we are more concerned about the blood pacts. WHY SE WHY DID YOU GIVE US AN ENASPIR... and most of the up to 99 bps are pretty much wards, why didn't we get any rages.
    (1)

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Areayea View Post
    However, I completely agree the new bps to lvl 99 are worthless
    To be fair to them, the Lv.82~92 Wards are useful. Even Soothing Ruby is useful as a sort of Esuna+1. 95+ pacts are incredibly bad, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Areayea View Post
    most of the up to 99 bps are pretty much wards, why didn't we get any rages.
    We got 3 rages. They had the damage equivilant to Lv.65 Blood Pact Rages. The point is our damage source now is exactly the same as it was at 75. Same speed too, the only thing that's increased since is the damage per pact. While Summoner was never a replacement for a DD, it was still capable of fairly decent DoT in comparison at 75 and now it isn't.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sargent; 11-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Areayea
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    To be fair to them, the Lv.82~92 Wards are useful. Even Soothing Ruby is useful as a sort of Esuna+1. 95+ pacts are incredibly bad, however.

We got 3 rages. They had the damage equivilant to Lv.65 Blood Pact Rages. The point is our damage source now is exactly the same as it was at 75. Same speed too, the only thing that's increased since is the damage per pact. While Summoner was never a replacement for a DD, it was still capable of fairly decent DoT in comparison at 75 and now it isn't.

eh true, that's just how useless they were >.> I forgot what they did, but yes the soothing ruby was a good one, and then again they did give us Alex... but now they're gimping him, and before fell cleave, Odin was the way to go
    (1)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    They first need to remove the -15 cap on bp gear delay, my standard gear set has over -15 and it bothers me I went through all the work to get the perpet/bp timer staffs and the 2 staffs Im missing are not even needed since I up'd my gear. If I wouldnt have put so much work into them I would /toss them and get a chat staff. But my luck is then they would come out with another trial that would give them a worthwhile trait and I would have to redo them all.

They also need to make smn magic skill worthwhile. I hate that my capped/merited and geared 500+ smn magic skill does the same dmg as my roomies who burned his up and is sitting at 100 skill.

A reduction in BP timers would be wonderful 45 seconds is way too long considering the low damage output. I do not forsee SE doing anything about it tho
    (3)

Character
    Mokeil
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    To be fair to them, the Lv.82~92 Wards are useful. Even Soothing Ruby is useful as a sort of Esuna+1. 95+ pacts are incredibly bad, however
    With that blasted 45 second timer we have, its a pain to choose between which type of support we give - status removal or HP restoration. Soothing Ruby does one; Spring Water does both. Guess which one gets more use from me?

Now, Inferno Howl and Fleet Wind on the other hand... Those have easily become two of my favorite Wards to use. Its just a shame they ruined the trend of decent Wards by having the last two be an unreliable Samba and a targeted Dispel (because Altana knows I've never seen it land death, even it you manage to get the blasted mob to sleep first).
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    They also need to make smn magic skill worthwhile. I hate that my capped/merited and geared 500+ smn magic skill does the same dmg as my roomies who burned his up and is sitting at 100 skill.
    Accuracy is very much worthwhile. A 100 skill SMN will not land a BP on any kind of relevant content. Although I still agree that a damage boost be very welcome, along with the BP delay cap adjustment.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast