Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99

[dev1139] Job Ability Adjustments: Tabula Rasa

Please keep responses constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildrein View Post
    The job abilities below have been adjusted in the following ways:
    • Scholar
      • Embrava (castable only while Tabula Rasa is in effect)
        • Effect duration will be reduced from five minutes to ninety seconds.
        • Haste potency will increase by 1% for every twenty points of one's enhancing magic skill instead of for every fifteen points. Therefore, an enhancing magic skill value of 500 will increase the potency of haste by a maximum of 25%
        • Embrava will grant the effect of Refresh instead of Regain. The value of the effect, however, will remain the same.
    Well it is no secret that the vast majority of the community is severely displeased by this, to include myself (in fact as of this posting there are only 3 people who like the adjustment). However lets face it, this needed to happen. Entire strategies based upon the presence of two scholars and summoners using our special abilities was reducing us to Embrava casters instead of SCHs and in dire need of fixers. The new producer Matsui is definitely in the right when he said fixing these was better than counter-attacking them.

While I do agree with the reasoning behind it, I believe it has gone over-board with adjustments on multiple levels and needs to be adjusted. This is why it is on the test server so we can say what needs adjusting. I'll outline the points of this adjustment.

1. Effect duration will be reduced from five minutes to ninety seconds.
    90 second duration reduces this ability to 3 minutes with Perpetuation, 3.75 minutes with Savant's Bracers +2. That makes this our shortest buff in our arsenal even with Perpetuation. Even with the special ability recast reduction coming (going to be hard adjusting from saying 2hr) 3.75 is paltry for an ability of this class. I recommend increasing it even 30 seconds to a 120 second duration (2 minutes). This gives 4 minutes on perpetuation, 5 minutes with Savant's Bracers +2. Far more reasonable.

2. Haste potency will increase by 1% for every twenty enhancing magic skill. Will increase the potency of haste by a maximum of 25%.
    Honestly I don't have an issue with this one, since it already stacks with normal haste. I think this was adjusted well, but I know someone will have some contributions to make on it so I outlined it for easy reference.
    3. Embrava will grant the effect of Refresh instead of Regain. This (and I try to be understanding and respectful) is the worst adjustment that could possibly be made. MP hasn't been an issue since lvl 75 and even outside of abyssea I rarely see anyone run low on MP. I recommend keeping regain on because it helps not only typical melee, but ranged users and melee mages (mp restoral ws) as well. I would assume regain would need adjustment as well with this so I'd reduce it equal with the reduction of haste.

These are just my recommendations, so everyone feel free to bring your recommendations to the table on how this should be adjusted. Just understand it is going to happen regardless, so try to provide constructive criticism on how it should be adjusted.
    (1)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    If it has to be adjusted at all I'm fine with the way you have it really. This is the type of nerf I was expecting when it was originally announced. What they came up with takes an SP spell and drops it into the dumpster that's already overflowing with a heap of stinking Scholar 76-99 spells.
    (1)

Character
    Zeroresolve
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I agree 100% for this nerf but why stop there since the conception of this job was 1/2 assed from the start with the nit picking of what could be Aoe'd whether on white or Black addendum finaly resting on mostly useless spells like bio,drain and aspir on blk not even allowing aoe of helix or up to tier3 nukes to actually have a decent proc array for vw or abyssea.

Now i know omg if sch could do that poor poor blm's would be overpowerd i call bs innate ability by blm they will alway do more damage so scholar will never out magic dd them. So onto whm part aoe cures, phalanx,erase cool. Haste should have been in the mix others spells that are currently allowed are lol.

Funny though how it is ok to step on some jobs toes like whm, rdm but not blms. Maybe if you went back and read the original descriptions for the jobs it might help.
    Please stop with the stupid adjustments like adding crap for the sake of adding something so it looks like you earned a paycheck new abilities with a shared timer of others is stupid.

The whole reason Embrava has been nerfed is JP players whined cause they use to be uber an got all the new stuff 1st but now the North american and euros are doing it so game has to be adjusted .

But after all is said and done TYTYTTYTYTY for ruining another job i liked maybe. FFxi trashbin ~RDM,SCH more to come !!
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    1. Effect duration will be reduced from five minutes to ninety seconds.
    90 second duration reduces this ability to 3 minutes with Perpetuation, 3.75 minutes with Savant's Bracers +2. That makes this our shortest buff in our arsenal even with Perpetuation. Even with the special ability recast reduction coming (going to be hard adjusting from saying 2hr) 3.75 is paltry for an ability of this class. I recommend increasing it even 30 seconds to a 120 second duration (2 minutes). This gives 4 minutes on perpetuation, 5 minutes with Savant's Bracers +2. Far more reasonable.
    We shouldn't forget that TR lasts for 3 mins now, so you can recast it after ~2:45 to get a total of ~6:30 of Embrava. There are also instances where you can lock TR on, so you can recast it many times. This doesn't take away from the fact that a SV Bard still offers more now for melees, but then again, BRD has always been much more of a support job than SCH ever was. It's just a shame that Kaustra hasn't been improved to be useful so SCH can go back to being more of a Nuker/healer than buffer.
    (1)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    We shouldn't forget that TR lasts for 3 mins now, so you can recast it after ~2:45 to get a total of ~6:30 of Embrava. There are also instances where you can lock TR on, so you can recast it many times. This doesn't take away from the fact that a SV Bard still offers more now for melees, but then again, BRD has always been much more of a support job than SCH ever was. It's just a shame that Kaustra hasn't been improved to be useful so SCH can go back to being more of a Nuker/healer than buffer.
    I'd like to see a focus on Kaustra too, especially since that was the one that I was more excited about when these two spells were announced. Conceptually it's a lot more interesting to me than Embrava. The most disappointing aspect is that anything I would hope it to be really useful on resists darkness. Currently I only find it useful for mowing through trash mobs for 3.5 minutes. There were a couple old battles I helped returning friends finish where it was decent too. But relegating it to those uses is sad for an SP spell.

I had hoped for a light counterpart in the new SP ability (Ultima), but curiously we're strapped with another enmity move. With that in mind, maybe I actually don't want SE to focus on Kaustra as it may just lose any usefulness it currently has. If they really insist on this new incarnation of Embrava but are interested in giving SCH a good replacement, I'd love it if Kaustra were buffed as a consolation. Non-elemental maybe? I couldn't get a boost from my magian dark staff, but that wouldn't really gimp my current uses for it that much, and it may then be more potent on things that matter.
    (1)
    Last edited by Merton9999; 10-28-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I seriously doubt they will make SCH better now, we had a really great 2 hours for awhile. Then it's taken away from us and rendered somewhat less useful. We should voice our opinion in regards the new proposed 2 hours. Seriously... giving us the same ability that is currently exist in the hand of thieves is ridiculous.... Considering Bard also has the same ability, in songs, that they can cast over and over.

They should at least make Kaustra extremely potent for Einherjar mob or whenever you are doing events where double dark weather is present. And make it stack with Noctohelix. So that Scholar can be the best job for damage over time spells. I doubt this will happen, I mean, an adjustment that actually make Scholar job even better????
    (2)
    Last edited by Luvbunny; 10-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.