Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    What I want is the get skillups when I fish. If I catch 40 fish that are 10 levels above my skill I would expect to get at least 4-5 0.1 skillups. But I got no skill ups at all from catching 40 fish 10+ levels above my skill level. What is the point of fishing if you can never level up. Unless I have the time to catch 2000 fish per day, and you eliminate restrictions on number of fish, I will never level.
    (1)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    No need to be overly dramatic. RNG will be random. You will level up give it time. It's like completely given up because something with 50% droprate doesn't drop 4 times in a row. Calm down and let the statistics even out. It's nowhere near as bad as half you seem to want to make it you are just incredibly impatient. If they made it 2k fish a day I could probably get 0-100 within a week

Seriously you think that's bad try any other craft except cooking to high levels. Watch as you spend litterally several hours farming and/or spend millions of gil on a single ingredient for a single synth just to have it blow up in your face with no skillup and huge losses. Or try rl fishing lol.

As far as guide I somewhat follow kida's guide which doesn't seem to exist anymore . So I'll kinda have to do this from memory so might not be exact since it's been awhile since last I skilled up and well I've gotten like 6 characters to 100+

Moat carp to 11
    Pipira ~27
    Crystal bass ~ 35
    Shall shell to 53
    Forget what I did for the next few levels but most of them suck as far as bite rate goes. If you have or know a bonecrafter you can do trumpets for decent profits either way whatever bridge in this gap you find do it till about 60. Though you could just go to the next step at a meh bite rate right at 53.

This step is slighlty different since you will be targetting 2 fish. You will use shrimp lure at nashmau docks to do so and you will be going for Mercanbaligi which cap at 86 and ahtapot which caps at 90. As long as you aren't too far under the level your bite rate will be awesome and you can find yourself capping for the day in about 3-4 hours with a whole bunch of fish that npc for 700 or 800 each. After that skilling up doesn't matter too much. Without ebisus this will probably be your fastest consistent money and if you are serious about fishing you will be working on the ebisus. Once you get ebisus you will want to fish Hakryu for money which will slowly skill you up in the process.

There is also an interesting alternate method of skilling up. Similar to crafting if you fail to catch a fish you can still skill up. So the idea is to force yourself to lose a catch by using a composite rod on "too small" fish. You wont catch anything so you wont be getting any gil while doing this and the few fish I tried doing this I had bad bite rates (though that might be because I was trying crescent fish at like level 25 lol) but if you have a bunch of time left over in the day after hitting hte 200 fish limit this might be for you. I haven't really done this method much but here are some example fish with there caps to use

53 : Istridye from the Nashmau docks (Robber or Rogue Rig)
    69 : Crescent Fish from East Sarutabaruta (???) - I didn't do this one
    75 : Tavnazian Goby from the Lufaise Meadows G-9 Bridge (Minnow)
    88 : Black Ghost from the Caedarva Mire I-10 Island (Worm Lure)

Also for anyone that doesn't know if you plan on skilling up participate in the fish ranking each time. Double skillup rate is awesome
    (0)

Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Is there really a double skill up for fishing? In my experience there is no skillup in fishing!!!
    (1)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by esmrambo View Post
    Is there really a double skill-up for fishing? In my experience there is no skill-ups in fishing!!!
    Well, I haven't done much fishing since the change and mostly due to the fact I really don't catch anything and feel like I'm wasting my time on the fishing when there is plenty of other stuff in the game where you actually get something for doing something at least!! Well at least for rusty buckets you get a mesley 50 gil for the piece of junk which is a unusable item besides letting it take up space in your mog house.
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Is there really a double skill up for fishing? In my experience there is no skillup in fishing!!!
    Skillup ring litterally gives you an extra chance to skillup each catch. I've actually got 2 +.3s on a single catch.
    (0)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74

Hard to get rings!

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Skillup ring litterally gives you an extra chance to skillup each catch. I've actually got 2 +.3s on a single catch.
    Good luck getting any of the fishing rings!! ;-/
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    The one ring is rather easy to get, as are all of the company, really.

Or at least it should be again soon'ish, when people are done with the RoE fish ranking objective... Before that, the game had to fill in blanks with fake players on the ranking results, so it was not, and should not be too big of an issue to be ranked up high enough once that clears out a bit.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle View Post
    Good luck getting any of the fishing rings!! ;-/
    I'd just wait till it was one of the more annoying fish. Often on the more annoying ones less than 20 people would enter so automatic ring to anyone that did
    (0)

Character
    Nakts
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    People have been flooding the ranking, I figured it was because of the ROE thing, but I had a pretty strong entry and was still only 24th.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    On common ones it's pretty bad. I remember it was jungle catfish once... litterally spent a full week pulling up 200 a day and used the best one and got like 30th.... then one time it was sea zombie and litterally only 4 people entered <.<.

Not sure about the RoE thing since you only have to enter not win anything... and generally you can skillup so fast that if you get one and fish to cap each day by the time you can win another you will be too high to matter. So I was always rather perplexed why people keep entering over and over and over again. If it's really popular sometimes people will bazaar good fish outside... they are rather expensive but in my experience they also tend to be about as good as you can fish up and so win alot though always check ranges for your fish before buying
    (0)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast