Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Zanece
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Because fishing rod movement is tied directly to fps. So if you had a high end machine, it made it impossible to catch fish sometimes. Most fishers should know about this by now...
    (0)

Character
    Greffex
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    100% agree with the poster who said minnows and sinking minnows should be able to buy from a shop full time for a higher gil price, make it happen se.
    (0)

Good morning,

Sorry to keep you all waiting on the new fishing adjustments. I’m sure you’ve heard this quite often, but the Development Team really is quite busy and they haven’t had much time to focus on fishing specific changes. The following adjustments are what we are considering at the moment (…and please keep in mind this is very rough). Nevertheless, we would like to update you on the current status. Because we are in the preliminary stage, nothing is definite at the moment. In addition, a time has not been decided as to when we will be moving full steam ahead. With that said, please check out what we have planned:

Basic Outline
    • For the reeling in mechanics, we do not plan on completely removing it but we are going to make adjustments.
    • As mentioned in my earlier post, we plan on leaving reeling mechanics itself as a challenge to those with insufficient skills.
    • Fishing skills will have a bigger impact on results compared to the current system. In addition, the reeling in mechanics will be simplified as much as possible.
    • If your fishing skill is high, you can pull up a fish without having to reel in at all! (Similar to goldfish scooping featured in the past Sunbreeze Festivals.)
    • For the reel in mechanics, we will try to make it so there is minimal difference between clients regardless of their specifications.

Major changes

Reeling Entry commands
    Previously, players were able to reduce their catch’s HP by half when they continued to enter commands in the opposite direction that their rod was pulled towards. However, since many users have pointed out that continuing to enter commands highlights the user’s machine specs rather than game-playing skills, we plan to change this function to “enter the command once” and you will be able to achieve the same results as the current multiple inputs.

In this case, if the command entry is successful, the catch’s HP can be reduced greatly based on fishing skills and rod quality. However, if entry fails, the catch will recover a bit of HP. We are looking into an effect in which the catch’s recovery rate is reduced based on fishing skill. Once the command is entered, regardless of whether it fails or succeeds, the rod will pull. In other words, repeating the command will do nothing.

Rod Animations
    We will also make adjustments to the rod movement animations. The main situations we are looking to improve are when the rod is leaning far in either direction but does not stay for a long enough time for the user to enter a command. We will try to adjust this mechanic so you will have enough time to enter your desired commands.

Regen and DoT of catch based on fishing skill
    Another idea we have is to implement a combo bonus type effect. (i.e. Reduce the catch’s HP further, reducing the fish’s HP over time, make the catch unable to flee, etc.) These effects will be granted when the user is able to successfully respond to the movements of the rod consecutively. Please keep in mind that this is not set in stone, but we thought this would be an interesting addition.

Skill Rate ComparisonCatch>UserCatch=UserCatch<User
    CurrentRegenNo ChangeDoT
    NewRegenDoTStronger DoT

Basically, if the user’s fishing skill value is greater than or equal to the catch’s fishing resistance skill value, the catch’s HP will decrease. As our plan is to make the effects more noticeable than they are currently, as soon as the user’s fishing skill value matches the catch’s fishing resistance skill value, a DoT will be applied to the catch, and from there, the higher the user’s fishing skill value, the stronger the DoT applied.

For example, if a user with a fishing skill of 100 catches a carp with very low fishing resistance skill value, then the catch’s HP will decrease rapidly even without any rod commands due to the high DoT effect. This aspect closely resembles the initial features for the fishing system.

Oppositely, if a user with a fishing skill of 0 catches a fish with a high fishing resistance skill value, such as a bastore bream or black sole, the catch’s HP will recover rapidly due to the high regen effect. This aspect resembles the current features for the fishing system.

We will determine the detailed mechanics based on testing results. Of course we will implement the changes on the test server for all of you to try out, as well.
    Other changes

High Priority Adjustment
    This is a feature that has already been implemented, but it is currently not based on any skill values. With the current changes, we plan on allowing for higher critical rates based on the user having higher fishing skill values than the catch. We also think it may be okay to add additional effects, such as immunity to fishing fatigue.
    Fishing fatigue
    Currently, once a certain number of fish are caught, the user cannot catch any more fish for the rest of the day.
    This feature was first implemented to combat RMT activity. If we simply take out this feature, RMT activity may increase greatly. As such, instead of removing it, we plan on implementing conditions that can be met to increase the fishing cap.
    • Successfully caught a fish after critical
    • Usable items to recover fishing fatigue
    • Catches that recover fishing fatigue after caught

The above are nothing but suggestions, but we would like to consider a feature that recovers users’ fishing fatigue as a reward.
    Fishing ring effects

Regarding fishing rings, their numerical values for calculation may be adjusted based on the changes to the system.

However, it seems that the effects for most can be carried on as is, so we believe that users will be able to continue to use these items for similar purposes.
    For now, we are looking at the above ideas as the main framework for our revamp.
    Once we develop these ideas further and finalize the features, we will begin implementation. However, we would like to take our time to determine the optimal settings for reeling in time length and success determination elements.
    In addition, we are also considering variables such as weather, time, and age.

P.S.

This applies to all of our posts, but just because there are aspects that have not been mentioned, it does not mean that we will not make adjustments to those aspects. If there are things that you have noticed, we will be able to look into them if you bring them to our attention.

Also, please understand that it would be very difficult to implement all of the aspects mentioned above all at once, so we would appreciate it if you would look forward to these improvements with patience.
    (12)

Okipuit - Community Team

Character
    Hashmalum
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    But is the minigame still going to be handled entirely client-side? Because as long as it is, the cheats will always be with us.
    (1)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    Good morning,

Sorry to keep you all waiting on the new fishing adjustments. I’m sure you’ve heard this quite often, but the Development Team really is quite busy and they haven’t had much time to focus on fishing specific changes. The following adjustments are what we are considering at the moment (…and please keep in mind this is very rough). Nevertheless, we would like to update you on the current status. Because we are in the preliminary stage, nothing is definite at the moment. In addition, a time has not been decided as to when we will be moving full steam ahead. With that said, please check out what we have planned:

~~~~ Yadda Yada Yaddda ~~~~

Also, please understand that it would be very difficult to implement all of the aspects mentioned above all at once, so we would appreciate it if you would look forward to these improvements with patience.

Next suggestion. If you catch a monster it should drop an area based fish or the consumable bait you used to reel it in when you kill it.

IE: Sarick defeats climmer crab.
    You reclaim the <bait> from the climmer crab.
    (12)
    Last edited by Sarick; 11-16-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarick View Post
    Next suggestion. If you catch a monster it should drop an area based fish or the consumable bait you used to reel it in when you kill it.

IE: Sarick defeats climmer crab.
    You reclaim the <bait> from the climmer crab.
    Well done for quoting the entire post for no reason other than to extend the page down >.>
    (7)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    Fishing fatigue
    Currently, once a certain number of fish are caught, the user cannot catch any more fish for the rest of the day.
    This feature was first implemented to combat RMT activity. If we simply take out this feature, RMT activity may increase greatly. As such, instead of removing it, we plan on implementing conditions that can be met to increase the fishing cap.
    • Successfully caught a fish after critical
    • Usable items to recover fishing fatigue
    • Catches that recover fishing fatigue after caught

The above are nothing but suggestions, but we would like to consider a feature that recovers users’ fishing fatigue as a reward.
    Quests would be an interesting way to implement this.

I think there are two different quest styles that can be done, and I think a mixture of both would be the best "solution" to increasing the amount of fishing someone can do.

Multiple Goblin Bag style expansion quests to increase the maximum space.
    Limit availability of these quests not just by fame but also from very new accounts. Having an account that has played for a long time is a short of investment that would be harder for RMT to achieve.

Repeatable fatigue reset quests.
    Fatigue reset quests should preclude bots completing it somehow (like a sort of CAPTCHA). If the fatigue reset itself is an item, it should be tagged Rare/Ex to prevent stockpiling in remote locations. Ideally, whatever the quest is should also have some side function that helps the server, such as the player's actions filling crafting guild shops with items they don't normally stock.
    (4)

Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmalum View Post
    But is the minigame still going to be handled entirely client-side? Because as long as it is, the cheats will always be with us.
    FFXIV showed us the horror that is server-side moderated crafting mini-games.

FFXIV failed on many levels .. I didn't stop playing and my level 50 is waiting for V2 but there's no denying the initial release of V1 was abominable .. and one of those levels was SE's paranoia about RMT and their fixation on anti-RMT devices.

Thus, XIV was designed almost entirely with server-side moderated mechanics, which lead to the horrendous lag in all the crafting UI operations, item trading to NPC/players, various battle situations etc.

ALL IN THE NAME OF ANTI-RMT! And you know what .. IT DIDN'T WORK! There were still gathering bots galore.

XI doesn't need that insanity. For once, SE should stop considering making players 'collateral damage' to their anti-RMT activities!

I always intended to fish in XI, I do so in other games, but I loathed the 'twitch-based' mechanic which made XI fishing a trial I wasn't prepared to tolerate. I can see why even 'legit' players, who otherwise never cheated or bought or sold gil, resorted to fish bots because the 'legit' way was a total pain.
    (4)
    Last edited by Kraggy; 11-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Character
    Cariadora
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

Save a crafter. Say no to NPC sales!

Quote Originally Posted by wish12oz View Post
    Please remove the increasing delay between casts as you catch more fish.
    Thanks

An NPC that sells unlimited Sinking Minnows and NQ Minnows at a fixed price (maybe 700gil each NQ and 2500gil Sinking) would also be greatly appreciated.
    Honestly, I hope this type of message is generally ignored. As a long time crafter, it bothers me immensely when people want to see market driven prices undercut by NPC's. If an NPC is going to be implemented to provide an item that has historically been provided by crafters, the price should be well above the normal prices (with normal fluctuations) on the servers. If no crafter were providing these, it would seem a fair thing to ask for an NPC. Yet as an alchemist, I have rarely seen a shortage of these lures on the auction house, except when the prices have tanked so low that they aren't worth the effort of making. Please do not implement these types of NPC sales.
    (4)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°€

Looks pretty much like what I was expecting from what they have mentioned before.

I'm interested, a lot, but I'm a little bit worried how much the rod movement changes will skew the ability to identify what has been hooked.

Will definitely check it out on the test-server as soon as possible, if I can. ^^

I really doubt even such a drastic move as removing the daily limit would increase the RMT-activity and the reason for that is the fact that it is already quite easy to go around it. Especially so for the RMT, and especially so because of Abyssea/Grounds of Valor. All it really hurts, in my opinion, is the legit players who do not have multiple characters.

I speak as one who has never used a bot, or even the windower, and it can still be an annoyance... Will be interesting to see how they will be alleviating the fatigue exactly, how much, and how practical it will be in the grand-scheme of things.

I wouldn't mind more (practical) fishing quests. That is, something else than 10000 carps to carp about...
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast