Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    I wish that I could sell, trade, bazaar or NPC the dwarf pugils and drill calamaries I'm getting in my Mog Garden. The skill-up rate is so slow that I don't know if I'll ever take it up as a serious hobby. Granted, I've only done it in my Mog Garden for RoE objectives, and actually managed to get to level 1. But from the posts it sounds like it wouldn't matter if I actually went out into the field.
    (0)

2. 07-05-2014 04:00 PM

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
    So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
    I wanna (fish!), I wanna (fish!), I wanna (fish!), I wanna (fish!)
    I wanna reel a fishy wishy and get a fishy wishy skill!
    (4)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Honestly I don't see how they can be bothered by botters at all anymore. After this nerf fishing is at like 600k/day tops. Meanwhile you can make 1mil+ in 30 minutes salvage and similar in dynamis. Heck I'm fairly certain you could probably make money faster now just tending your mog garden <.<.

So I have like 5 characters at 100+ fishing because that takes all of a month to level and 3 with ebisus rods because that also doesn't take long now especially if you have one to fish for you but in the time it takes me to clear my invent and get bait for fishing I can make more gil than I would get fishing all day long
    (1)
    Last edited by dasva; 07-06-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Character
    Allellujah
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post

As far as guide I somewhat follow kida's guide which doesn't seem to exist anymore . So I'll kinda have to do this from memory so might not be exact since it's been awhile since last I skilled up and well I've gotten like 6 characters to 100+
    I actually help Kida run his disciplesoftheland.com site for FFXIV now and talked to him today about updating his fishing guide on finalfishing.com I don't know if he'll start playing again or not but I have so maybe I can make some updates for him. He is going to look into though.

You can contact him on the ffxiv site I mentioned above or https://twitter.com/KidaTheDisciple
    (0)

Character
    Calatilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Any chance of any increase in fishing skill rate? I`ve been fishing for a few hrs a day for the past week and I haven't seen a single skill up. All the other crafts were given crafting kits to speed them along to lv50, why has fishing been left with nothing but none existent skill ups?
    (1)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Calatilla View Post
    Any chance of any increase in fishing skill rate? I`ve been fishing for a few hrs a day for the past week and I haven't seen a single skill up. All the other crafts were given crafting kits to speed them along to lv50, why has fishing been left with nothing but none existent skill ups?
    There is a very hard to get LV.1 all jobs synthesis Shawl something cape I saw another person wearing with all of the fishermen gears on his galka character but I'd like to find out if it really does speed up the rate of fishing your skill ups since it says on it: Increased syntheses skill gain rate of crafts. It's looking like you have high fishing skill's or advanced far enough in pre-existing quests + the gutting of fish by a certain npc to get it even, youch at !% drop rate.
    (0)
    Last edited by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle; 08-05-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

YosemiteYogorockBlondelle,

I wouldn't say it's hard, or even difficult, but indeed, the trick to getting the shaper's shawl is to have a fishing skill at or around level 100, and having the best rod in the game already (I believe it is not impossible with somewhat lower skill and a lesser rod, but I would not suggest one to go through such an ordeal, for even with my trusty Ebichu (or Ebisu), Mega Moglification, and a fishing skill of 107 without equipment bonuses doesn't make it too fun).

Fishing skill at around 30 and a little bit (or a lot) of gil may also bring one to the shawl.

I got one from about seven trades I think. That's only because I actually wanted a friend to get it first, then maybe I'd get one for myself. If I had, say, nine catches, I'd send the eight via delivery box to the friend, and trade in one myself because, really, there's no way I'd get it like that.

Well, the game obviously knows these things, so I did get it just like that, while the friend has traded in around one hundred (and counting).

The first case is mainly why you will often see fishing-related equipment on someone with the shawl as well; it comes from pretty much the bossest of boss fish after all (possibly the most annoying one, too), the matsui, er, matsya.

I do not believe the shawl affects fishing skill gain, but I could be wrong, too. I do think it's not something we players can test...
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74

Going a bit of slightly off topic with discussion between Fishing & crafts & a Quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post

I wouldn't say it's hard, or even difficult, but indeed, the trick to getting the shaper's shawl is to have a fishing skill at or around level 100, and having the best rod in the game already (I believe it is not impossible with somewhat lower skill and a lesser rod, but I would not suggest one to go through such an ordeal, for even with my trusty Ebichu (or Ebisu), Mega Moglification, and a fishing skill of 107 without equipment bonuses doesn't make it too fun).

Fishing skill at around 30 and a little bit (or a lot) of gil may also bring one to the shawl.

I got one from about seven trades I think. That's only because I actually wanted a friend to get it first, then maybe I'd get one for myself. If I had, say, nine catches, I'd send the eight via delivery box to the friend, and trade in one myself because, really, there's no way I'd get it like that.

Well, the game obviously knows these things, so I did get it just like that, while the friend has traded in around one hundred (and counting).

The first case is mainly why you will often see fishing-related equipment on someone with the shawl as well; it comes from pretty much the bossest of boss fish after all (possibly the most annoying one, too), the matsui, er, matsya.

I do not believe the shawl affects fishing skill gain, but I could be wrong, too. I do think it's not something we players can test...

@Dragoy: First off I wanted to thank you for your very cool response and only thing I was going to add even though it is a bit off of this topic was that i was also thinking of this cape for use in all the other crafts as well and very much love to have that my very cape to try out myself. ;-)

Now for something else and I wonder how many of you have completed the 30,000 carp quest in port san d'oria just to finally achieve the satisfaction of the goal that the quest has finally been completed and have finally achieved your lu-shang's fishing rod even though the ebisu fishing rod is far better and have done this quest completion with-in a day or a week and not becoming many years?

The reason I ask is that i've been on this quest for a very long time since about after starting this game years ago, must of been i'm assuming about 2004 when I stumbled upon the quest and started it into wanting to complete it but going numb after fishing for quite awhile and deciding to get back to all of the other stuff that needs be done in game.

Anyways, I'm still stuck on this quest not being completed even now it being the year of 2014 and have found it hard to even touch 30,000 carp into that i've only obtaining 1,300 or 1,500 at the most thus far, not to mention it doesn't help the fish are all only stackable to 12 instead of 99 to match the bait now stacked at 99. If we could hand in more carp then stacked to 12 into instead stackable to 99 for this quest it would help a great deal in some ways, however I would rather see if this old quest could have its number of carp reduced to 3,000 or maybe 2,000 at the lowest. Yes, I know its a possible drop of amount of gil for this fishing rod sold on the AH but it's still breakable to see it at the price its still at today on my server. So thinking if this was reduced in the amount of carp handed in, the price of the rod would actually still remain the same since it has taken me at least 10 years to even reach 1,500 carp at stacks of 12's with even limited space.

Would you agree that this old timer of a quest could use a great amount of adjustment especially since eminence has started to get into the fishing craft spectrum as well? Would they add a fish that could count as 1000 fish per hand in which only are a stack of 12 or if it became stackable to 99? if they changed it to where fish became stackable to 99 then crafts such as cooking could be caught up to the other crafts that have had there adjustments made to make crafting easier to complete. :-0

Edited In: I was reaching for more then one goal or scenario in how the achieved goal on the quest cold be changed to get be completed in a more meaningful or better logical way to the finish line!
    (0)
    Last edited by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle; 08-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

You'll be pleased to know that it's not 30,000 but mere 10,000 carps that are required. :D

Perhaps you were thinking of the alexandrite and the mythics, heh. In any case, I, too, started that quest around 2004-2005 I believe, or 2006-2007, but left it for a long while. My main motivation for fishing was to reach level 30 to be able to trade in the bhefhel marlin to Zaldon.

It seemed way too time-consuming to level up more, so in the end of 2013, I was still at around level 45. As for the carps, at around November 18th of 2013, I decided it's time. I was a bit under 2537 carps, and from there, it took me until January 1st, 2014, at 2:54 (a.m.) to finish it up.

It went a lot faster than I ever thought, once I put in all the dedication I had to put into it. I would also buy moat carp stacks from the auction house for 6,000 to 7,000 gil. Unfortunately I did not make note of how many I bought exactly, but it wasn't much all in all, for not many people would sell them.

Then I had no goal again with regards to fishing. I did some here and there, and was eyeing the lik and gugrusaurus a bit... At some point, I decided to try my luck with them, and about 10,320,446 gil, 205 lik, and 332 gugrusaurus later, I had the items for the Ebisu. I'm still not happy about buying all of those, but it seemed a too big of a time-sink to level up and fish them with the Lu Shang's, as that's a big annoyance even at skill level 100 due to the rod breaking with them.

So it was, that I set out to level up to at least the Ebisu quest, and that was done on February 24th, 2014. Well, actually a week before that, for I finished it merely couple of hours after conquest tally. This of course meant I had to wait a full week, still! That's definitely something that should be adjusted to a maximum of one day (Vana'dial time) in my opinion. Anyblue, I found a new objective quite easily: get the shaper's shawl for a friend of mine, and perhaps for myself as well. It's somewhat dismaying that I happened to obtain mine first, but I wont go complaining about it; that's just how things work for me. >.>;

Do I feel the Lu Shang's should be easier to get? Probably. 10,000 carps is quite a lot, still, and the rod (which I'm not even planning on selling, but keeping even though I already have my Ebichu) isn't even the bestest of the bestest.

However, it's completely doable, since even I did it! And no, I have never used third-party software to fish for me, unlike so many others unfortunately do. >.<

I definitely feel we need stronger lines (the matsya needs to stop breaking mine).

Just some quick thoughts!

Blubb ! !! !
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9