Character
    Anais
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

The Desirable gallant Knight in shiny armor

This is an honest attempt to make SE dev. to improve, PLD

While we are aware that PLD class has strengths and weakness, as any other class, we want to express that:

PLD being the class with high deffencive capabilities, and middle-low dmg capability, has very little to offer to a Group, in a Group Oriented game, mainly because all of his job abilities-traits are focus to deffend himself (being rampart the exception) and do not grant any benefit to the group when the "technically enmity cap" has been reached.

We do not ask to extend PLD dmg capabilities, we ask you to redirect PLD as a Group Oriented class.

After digging through hundreds of new ideas, it seems the most viable way to make PLD fit in a group oriented (i repeat it again) game is:

add new job trait

New Job Trait Suggestion: Vallation

Vallation: Job Traits are always active. Allows you to protect party members by placing yourself between them and the enemy.
    (Ryce from Odin original idea)

the meaning of this trait is NOT to change the target of any given enemy to PLD but to redirect partial dmg taken from players in a group to the PLD when the conditions are met.

a final word, we want PLD to have deffencive resources to aid everyone in a group, not to deffend only himself.
    (1)
    Last edited by Anais; 10-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anais View Post
    This is an honest attempt to make SE dev. to improve, PLD

While we are aware that PLD class has strengths and weakness, as any other class, we want to express that:

PLD being the class with high deffencive capabilities, and middle-low dmg capability, has very little to offer to a Group, in a Group Oriented game, mainly because all of his job abilities-traits are focus to deffend himself (being rampart the exception) and do not grant any benefit to the group when the "technically enmity cap" has been reached.

We do not ask to extend PLD dmg capabilities, we ask you to redirect PLD as a Group Oriented class.

After digging through hundreds of new ideas, it seems the most viable way to make PLD fit in a group oriented (i repeat it again) game is:

add new job trait

New Job Trait Suggestion: Vallation

Vallation: Job Traits are always active. Allows you to protect party members by placing yourself between them and the enemy.
    (Ryce from Odin original idea)

the meaning of this trait is NOT to change the target of any given enemy to PLD but to redirect partial dmg taken from players in a group to the PLD when the conditions are met.

a final word, we want PLD to have deffencive resources to aid everyone in a group, not to deffend only himself.
    Perma-Cover? Not going to happen. Would lead to too many insta kills of the PLD as well. AoE attack does 300+ damage to each party member. PLD would have to absorb 300 x 6 damage = 1800 damage. Only a Galka or a Elvaan PLD might survive that kind of hit.

Granted that example is extreme, but it proves my point. If you are offering a type of Perma-Cover ability, how much of the damage does the PLD absorb from the group? Is it on or off during AoE attacks? what's the % of the players damage does the PLD take? It's not a bad idea, but still needs some work, and it just seems unnecessary when Cover does basically the same thing you are proposing, just that it isn't a job trait.
    (0)
    Last edited by Teraniku; 10-18-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I think it'll function as cover already does, only on the entire alliance, and the player trying to get covered would still need to be behind the pld. I always wanted cover to be longer duration, shorter recast, and able to cover anyone behind me for that duration. I don't think that alone fixes pld all together, (other jobs dmg output is a lot of it) but giving a pld an option to stick his shield between players and mobs will add to its usefulness. I.e. blms able to nuke til their hearts content while the pld blocks attacks to the blm.... Love the idea in theory, in practice the timers are crippling. Ally wide, "cover" short recast, bam..
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Teraniku View Post
    Perma-Cover? Not going to happen. Would lead to too many insta kills of the PLD as well. AoE attack does 300+ damage to each party member. PLD would have to absorb 300 x 6 damage = 1800 damage. Only a Galka or a Elvaan PLD might survive that kind of hit.
    "Don't stand in the fire!" or something to that effect comes to mind.
    (0)

This is actually a pretty decent idea. There's dozens of ideas about how to fix the enmity system, usually falling short when the numbers are crunched. I believe this has potential. Instead of making it permanent 100% absorb, make it tied to current enmity.

For instance, if the pld is 90% to capped enmity, then he takes 90% of the damage directed at the target while the target takes the remaining 10%. This would have to be restricted to party only, to prevent 1 pld from protecting the whole alliance's DDs. And obviously AOE moves would still hit everyone. I see this bringing back pld as a way to allow DDs to remain in full DD gear on high damaging NMs.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragonlord; 10-29-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    For instance, if the pld has 90% of total enmity, then he takes 90% of the damage directed at the target while the target takes the remaining 10%. This would have to be restricted to party only, to prevent 1 pld from protecting the whole alliance's DDs. And obviously AOE moves would still hit everyone. I see this bringing back pld as a way to allow DDs to remain in full DD gear on high damaging NMs.
    If the PLD has 90% of total enmity, why would he need to cover other DDs? They wouldn't have hate...
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    If the PLD has 90% of total enmity, why would he need to cover other DDs? They wouldn't have hate...
    I was referring to the individual's enmity, as in 90% on the way to capping. Not like libra that reads everyone's enmity then pools it into a total then calculates percentages of that total.

I see my wording was iffy, fixed my first post.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    I was referring to the individual's enmity, as in 90% on the way to capping. Not like libra that reads everyone's enmity then pools it into a total then calculates percentages of that total.

I see my wording was iffy, fixed my first post.
    OK, so how would this ability help when both are at capped enmity?

Sorry I don't mean to be picky, I just obviously don't get it.
    (0)

The other players' enmities don't matter. If the pld remains at capped hate, he would take 100% of the damage (which is impossible as getting hit would then reduce the enmity). So basically it would balance out. As the pld takes larger portion of damage, their enmity is reduced, and it would fall to an equilibrium. Where the equilibrium falls depends on the pld's ability to mitigate damage, hate reduction, and their damage output. Therefore better pld = more damage blocked.
    (0)

Doesn't sound like too bad an idea. Are you having in mind a limit for how many players could be protected by the paladin at once? Protecting 10 melees with a single PLD sounds a bit... well, overpowered. Perhaps the damage reduction should be split among the players the PLD is protecting?

Example: PLD at enmity cap = 100% damage directed towards PLD for a single party member standing behind the PLD. However, if two party members stand behind the paladin while he is at max enmity, the damage redirection will be 50% for each of the players behind him. For three, 33%, and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Gear and/or merits to enhance the effect could increase the amount of damage redirected when protecting multiple people, for example by letting the PLD redirect 75% of damage to himself for two party members behind him, 50% for 3, 33% for 4.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-30-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast