Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Iakothm View Post
    because the ps3 has been hacked like the psp. You can now get custom firmware and just download iso's and play them.

I was thinking more with "cheating" in mind instead of "piracy".

@Mirage
    Oh and FYI there's no such thing as "pirated FFXI on PS2" because the HDD DNAS protection is vicious and the simple glimpse of modchip patching code on the PS2 memory makes PlayOnline freeze on a black screen at boot. Also you can't get the discs to install with a modchip on the PS2. If you can't install original discs with a modchip installed, trying to install copies with a modchip is moot point as you can't boot the copies without a mod chip... (lol it's the egg before chicken dilemma, no ?)

So no, there's no such thing as people playing FFXI on the PS2 with pirated copies.
    (2)

I know there isn't. That was kind of my point.

There is a lot of hacking and cracking that works when you're only playing offline games. When you need to verify your game up against a constantly updated server, however, it's not as simple to get around the security as it is when you have direct physical access to the system.

FF14 is going to ask the pirated game "yeah well, where is your game key again?" and then proceed to not give you access. If you already have an account for the PC version, SE is either not going to give a damn, because they make the significant part of their revenue from the monthly fees anyway.

Alternatively, if they do care a lot about the initial PS3 sales, it would be simple to supply another product key with the PS3 version, and require an account that is meant to be usable by both PS3 and PC clients to be registered with both PS3 and PC product keys.

Now when you try to connect with the pirated PS3 client, by using an account that only has a PC product code, the server will be all "cool, you bought the game for the PC, now where's that fancy PS3 registration code again?" and then proceed to not let you log in.

As long as SE's game servers themselves aren't hacked, no one is going to be playing without paying SE what they want you to pay, no matter how ultra super turbo extremely hacked your console is.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    We already know they will REQUIRE a separated license key for each platform (The SE account website does imply that very subtly when you create your contents) regardless of your character data.
    (0)

If you knew that, why did you even bring up that you doubt there will even be a PS3 version?

If that is confirmed, there is no way a hacked PS3 would let anyone play without buying the game for PS3, after all.

I'm however not sure if "imply very subtly" is the same as a confirmation.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you knew that, why did you even bring up that you doubt there will even be a PS3 version?

If that is confirmed, there is no way a hacked PS3 would let anyone play without buying the game for PS3, after all.

I'm however not sure if "imply very subtly" is the same as a confirmation.
    You did not understand what I said, did you ? I said there are CHEAT ENGINES out for the PS3 and they DO WORK on SEN.
    (0)

And you're not understanding what I'm saying. FF14 won't be utilizing SEN, it will be utilizing SE's own authentication servers, and these servers will not let you in without a legit product key, like the one you needed to register your FF11 account with.
    (0)

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And you're not understanding what I'm saying. FF14 won't be utilizing SEN, it will be utilizing SE's own authentication servers, and these servers will not let you in without a legit product key, like the one you needed to register your FF11 account with.
    You that are purposely ignoring the fact that I am saying people will trojan the console and hack the game regardless of it using SEN or not to be played.
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    They should just go with free to play honestly, I mean it seems like they are adopting this strategy with the IOs apps, giving it to you for free and then nickel and dime you for premium price if you want the full experience. Resulting in some of the most expensive IOs games ever released. Which probably not a bad idea, since we can pick and choose which additional content we want to access. Certainly most of us will not even care about Legion, Neo Nyzul, Neo Einherjar, Neo Limbus, and Meeble Burrows and probably would save tons of money if it were free to play and just pick the contents you like to do the most. This also force them to actually make a good sellable contents and not half ass attempt at creating hold over type of contents. Bad contents = low sales.
    (1)
    Last edited by Luvbunny; 10-28-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Personally would like a FFXI Mac OSX version. Rather not separate the HD out for a windows partition just to play FFXI on my laptop.
    (1)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    We are lucky they still making the Xbox version.... If they are not even porting it to PS3 and WiiU, or Vita or DS3, chances are they are not porting it anywhere but keep it as PC version only - and Xbox +PS2 (in japan only).
    (0)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast