Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hello Dragoons,

We understand that wyvern breath damage is low and this is something that we would like adjust moving forward.

In regards to Ophannus's dragoon ability suggestion, before we adjust wyvern attack, speed, and accuracy, we would need to closely examine the damage dealt in conjunction with the actual dragoon. We'll keep you updated as we progress on this topic.
    (27)

Okipuit - Community Team

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    We understand that wyvern breath damage is low and this is something that we would like adjust moving forward.

Those guys really like wyverns, apparently.
    (6)

Player
    To further clarify, the developers need to examine the damage dealt in conjunction with the actual Dragoon on extremely high level targets (Hall of Mul, Provenance Watcher, Odin v.2). In hard fights like this, it seems like the Wyvern does almost nothing, and since the attack power of Dragoon is lower than other classes due to the availability of a pet, it seems unfair that the Wyvern is so weak on hard content. It's like burning a candle at both ends. Dragoon's attack power is weaker than a Warrior or Dark Knight because the Dragoon has a Wyvern--and the wyvern's damage in conjunction with the actual Dragoon should sum up to roughly as much as the other damage dealer jobs. This paradigm does hold true up until the Wyvern stops hitting for 70-80 damage with 300 damage Breaths and starts hitting for 30-40 with 20 damage breaths(while DRKs and WARs continue to do 3000-4000 damage weapon skills and Drakesbane and Stardiver are barely breaking 2k due to lack of strong abilities(thanks to having a Wyvern). The way I see it, the Wyvern's existence is meant to fill in the void the Dragoon has in the attack power department. Instead of getting strong abilities like Berserk or Souleater, the Wyvern was intended to fill in that damage potential over time by attacking fast and adding a breath attack after each WS. The problem is, which I can't stress enough, is the effectiveness of the Wyvern's power against any target higher level than "Even Match"; the usefulness plummets sharply after that threshold.

On lower difficulty content i.e Abyssea, Nyzul, Salvage, Wyvern damage is fair, as the breaths are not resisted and their regular attacks do moderate damage in conjunction with the Dragoon. It's on high endgame content where the damage becomes so lackluster that the Wyvern adds negligible damage to the Dragoon's performance and the only reason to bother keeping it alive is the benefit the DRG gets by proxy i.e Spirit and Soul Jump bonuses.

I would say that Wyvern breaths don't need a damage increase per se, their base damage is fine for what it is(a chunk of bonus damage on top of ever DRG weaponskill). What the wyvern breaths do need is perhaps an examination and reconsideration of NMs relative immunity to Breath-type damage. If breaths dealt as much damage when unresisted to these NMs as on regular mobs, that would be fine. Even with Deep Breathing and maximum Wyvern breath accuracy from Strafe,gear etc, I'm fairly certain Breath damage is still reduced as much as 80% on these NMs(maximum I was able to do was around 80 damage and I'm almost certain it wasn't a 1/2 , 1/4 or 1/8 resist; it's straight damage reduction).

Furthermore, as I said, a reconciliation of breath damage versus NMs would also benefit BLU since the physical attack power of their physical spells spells are skewed enormously against high level targets as well as PLD which would benefit from unrestrained Atonement/Spirits Within damage--consistent and accurate, albeit lowish damage against NMs would simply be another tool to aid them in holding hate versus monstrously buffed DDs.
    (21)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 11-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Thank you, Camate! I also hope this coincides with Blu's breath spells lacking far far behind in damage.
    (2)

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennotsukai View Post
    Thank you, Camate! I also hope this coincides with Blu's breath spells lacking far far behind in damage.
    Oops, I meant Okipuit, thank you! sorry...
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Firstly, Seconding Ophannus' posts. Nice to know the dev are at least looking at the DRG/Wyvern concern.

Secondly, some nitpicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Furthermore, as I said, a reconciliation of breath damage versus NMs would also benefit BLU since the physical attack power of their physical spells spells are skewed enormously against high level targets as well as PLD which would benefit from unrestrained Atonement/Spirits Within damage--consistent and accurate, albeit lowish damage against NMs would simply be another tool to aid them in holding hate versus monstrously buffed DDs.
    I didn't think Atonement and Spirits Within were Breath DMG. Although, pretty much every NM since VoidWalkers has has at least -50% to Atonement's DMG type. I thought they, along with Chi blast, were under a different DMG type.
    (3)

Character
    Vraelia
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    There's your damn 50 likes.

It would be SO fucking awesome though if SE actually gives a shit about RDM like they do every other job in this game.
    (1)
    99 Red Mage
    99 Black Mage
    99 Bard
    99 Thief
    99 Ninja
    99 White Mage
    99 Scholar
    Yeah, I need a good signature.

Character
    Supahkronic
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Good idea. But I would still LOVE to see the wyvern's healing breath fixed. They fixed the issue for SMN, but didn't fix the wyvern! ie-

Player uses Restoring Breath.
    Wyvern readies Healing Breath.
    Player defeats monster.
    Healing Breath fails to activate, but the timer stays down like it went off.
    (12)

Character
    Hashmalum
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Amazing. This may be a first. If there is a JP post about this subject whose translated reply we are receiving, I can't find it. While I wouldn't call it confirmed yet, this may be the first time the NA community has received a specific reply about anything.
    (8)

Player
    ^This.

Also some tests were done with Chi Blast/Atonement/SW and it was found there is no 'spirit damage' and they fall under 'non elemental breath' damage. There are only 3 damage types in the game: Physical, Magical, Breath. Atonement I'm not 100% sure about but Spirits Within is definitely breath(it's also an HP based attack which should be a clue that it's a breath). Since newer NMs take very little damage from Atonement, SW, Chi Blast and Breath damage but not magic specifically(most NMs have MDB but only a few have direct MDT/SDT), it could be inferred that SW/Mijin Gakure/Chi/Atonement are probably breath based since typically the thing with breath damage is that it ignores magic defense and they do a static/fixed amount of damage based on a proportion of HP or in Atonement's case Enmity. The hypothesis that those abilities are breaths fits in line with the fact that they may have not intended for chi/mijin/SW to be affected but since those NMs resist breaths and chi/mijin/SW, then those abilities and WS are most probably breaths as well since it would extra work to make NMs resist those separately rather than if they were just lumped in with other abilities of the same damage type i.e breath.

Also I think it was found that Cerberus takes extra damage from Atonement, SW, Chi Blast as well as breaths. So rather than it being that he takes extra damage from all of those separately, it's easier to just categorize all the aforementioned abilities/WS as dealing breath damage i.e nonphysical, nonmagical.
    (5)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 11-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast