Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kysaiana
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I have Summoning skill capped but I'll agree it's really slow to skill up. I have the earring from Gustav tunnel so it was slightly more bearable to cap. Best bet is to use skill up food, do some GoV till you get a few levels of magic/melee skill up prowess and or skill up when martial master is around. Even with all of these things combined the rate is crap, but you'll most likely cap smn magic long before SE does anything, or says they can't because of X and Y.

I somehow capped smn skill and yet can't seem to cap enhancing skill, even on SCH which has D base... I've tried spamming spells on my lvl 95 fellow and still can't seem to cap. So yeah, magic skill ups suck.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Secondplanet View Post
    I've never had a problem getting my summon magic to cap. Play the job, have fun with it and it will be capped in no time at all. Now only if SE would take the cap off damage output and we can all be happy summoners.... with out cait sith >.<
    I play the job, have fun with it, and then after "no time at all", I am still at 150.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I play the job, have fun with it, and then after "no time at all", I am still at 150.
    That's what leeching exp does for you.
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Leave this debate out of here please, don't need to ruin another thread with that garbage. This is entirely unrelated to EXP gain. Skilling up Summoning Magic is provably much slower than anything else, only Enhancing Magic is even in the same class as it. And soloing SMN to 99 is not an acceptable solution, even if it would cap your skill (which is false).
    (8)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    I don't understand this sentence. How does buff duration not matter? 6min20s AoE Haste is not important? Some buffs wear off after 1min (like Inferno Howl) which is nothing, it's so little it can't be used to buff before a fight starts, because by the time everyone uses their JAs and engages it's already half worn-off.

What is "enough"? 150 MP? Because with low Summoning Magic skill, that's all you'll get. With capped skill and good gear you'll easily get the 500 MP range. That's a massive difference right there. And unlike Blood Pacts, for which skill bonus caps at 500, the Elemental Siphon bonus from skill is uncapped.
    If you cycle your buffs right you can keep the ones up that matter easily and throw in stuff like inferno howl when you can, personally I never use that other than solo seeing as it cancels samba's.

If your getting 150mp that is certainly not a reasonable amount of skill and an even worse gear set, I have a friend with the skill of a lvl 37 who gets more mp than that thanks to gear. Enough mp is enough to cycle your BP's for 5mins. If you can't do that try /sch or /rdm for sublimation/convert refresh/aspir
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    I didn't leech for a second. If you don't know how fast exp is even outside of abyssea is nowadays, I guess it's more likely that you've done more leeching than I did.
    (6)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    If you cycle your buffs right you can keep the ones up that matter easily and throw in stuff like inferno howl when you can, personally I never use that other than solo seeing as it cancels samba's.
    Yes, if you waste all your time and MP on cycling buffs that would otherwise last up to four times as long you can keep everything up. Means you can't do anything else in that time, though. If that's acceptable for you, you're a sucky SMN.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    If your getting 150mp that is certainly not a reasonable amount of skill and an even worse gear set, I have a friend with the skill of a lvl 37 who gets more mp than that thanks to gear. Enough mp is enough to cycle your BP's for 5mins. If you can't do that try /sch or /rdm for sublimation/convert refresh/aspir
    You said skill isn't important, I showed you how much of a difference it can make. And you're lying with that statement anyway. Lv.37 caps at 114, even with 80 skill from gear (which is a significant amount) he'd only have ~200 skill and would get 150 MP native (before day/weather adjustment).

Your entire argument is that you can compensate for the shortcoming in skill by doing certain things, and while that's mostly true, that argument in itself acknowledges that there is a shortcoming with lacking skill. All the things you said you can do to make up for it means you can't put that time and MP into good use outside of keeping buffs up. And no, even with 500 MP Siphon you can run out of MP even if you only spam Blood Pact: Rage, which you'll find out if you ever do trials. Skill makes a significant difference for SMN, both in solo and especially in group situations (good luck landing Shock Squall on endgame content with anything less than 400 skill).
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Romulis
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Leave this debate out of here please, don't need to ruin another thread with that garbage. This is entirely unrelated to EXP gain. Skilling up Summoning Magic is provably much slower than anything else, only Enhancing Magic is even in the same class as it. And soloing SMN to 99 is not an acceptable solution, even if it would cap your skill (which is false).
    oh no you cant leave that out... i partied to level my smn to 75 and still got the cap not long after i hit 75. i leeched from 75-95 because well.... i was lazy and guess what?? im not even close to being recapped. leeching has given people a new way to get capped faster which is good but also they forget with that speed comes consequences like .... capping abilities out. deal with it, yes its semi slow but as we all know the more ya play it the more the skill will go up.
    (3)

Character
    Hashmalum
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulis View Post
    oh no you cant leave that out... i partied to level my smn to 75 and still got the cap not long after i hit 75. i leeched from 75-95 because well.... i was lazy and guess what?? im not even close to being recapped. leeching has given people a new way to get capped faster which is good but also they forget with that speed comes consequences like .... capping abilities out. deal with it, yes its semi slow but as we all know the more ya play it the more the skill will go up.
    In other words, you leveled to 75 in the old days when leveling was dog slow and you had plenty of time to skill up whether you liked it or not. You literally have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you accuse other people of leeching just because they are underskilled. You should be quiet before you embarrass yourself further.
    (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Romulis View Post
    No direct offense to you sir, as You don't seem to be the type I'm angry at, But The general ignorance I'm seeing coming from the topic of fast exp and abyssea, like this is like a disease of stupid anger spreading across the self entitled masses. I find the rationale of the people who foam at the mouth at the sight of anything Abyssea related and how it changed Experience entirely more frustrating than all of the Leechers combined screams of Perle and Aurore.

What am i rambling about one might ask? Only that I had capped Summoning Skill at 75, And Kept my skills as close to cap as possible with the increase in Level cap. It was, As i mentioned, Up to speed around level 85~90, And then feel behind due to the lack of Summoner Friendly content with High level Enemies, as well as overall Lack of chances to Skill up due to Blood Pact restraints.

The Skill is painful to upgrade, Regardless of how quickly or slowly you level, It is an annoying skill to cap. On par with Enhancing Magic. While i personally believe all Magic spells need their Skill up rate significantly adjusted, I believe Summoning and Enhancing above others need to be given a boost.

Voidwatch is generally the only thing, and unless your only job is Summoner, or your other jobs really suck, You generally don't have the luxury of Summoner, Which causes further slow downs. I mean, You could easily sit outside town for 8-10 Hours a day for a few months and cap your Summoning magic by Summon and releasing, But I ask the relevance of such a grind. I like the idea of Skilling up, but it should be relatively easy and come naturally as you do content within some timely manner.

I've capped pretty much all of my Skills, but Summoning remains uncapped due to the limitations, both system and in place by Players, make it quite the troubling skill. Perhaps not in need of an Immediate and vital addressing, But I understand where the OP Is coming from, and the mindset of "He must be an abyssea noob" or "Try harder" is simply irrational.

We can dismount the High horses and look at this subjectively, The Skill sucks to skill up, Just like Guard and Parry did, While its not as tedious as maybe Guard was, Its still significantly tedious, It would be nice if it could be helped a tad.

I know they've updated skilling up quite a many time, So its unlikely they will look into it again, But i simply am saying, I'm not without understanding for the OP, and we need to stop treating Skilling up like some glorious right of passage. In reality, its a terrible grind and nothing else.
    (4)

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast