Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Slycer
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Meeble Burrows... why 20 hours?

So the title of this post basically sums it up, but I'll throw in some more detail.

Meeble Burrows is a very fun event. I played it almost ad nauseum on the test server, trying out every expedition, and they are great, short bursts of fun. I know they have a 15 minute time limit, but more realistically we're talking 5-10 minutes for most runs. Based on what we've seen on the test server, it looks like the rewards will be pretty good stuff too.

Now, the part I don't understand. Why are we restricted to enjoying this event for 5-10 minutes every 20 hours? That's 5-10 minutes out of every 1200 minutes. The entire focus of this past version update was Meeble Burrows and yet we're allowed to try it literally less than 1% of the time.

I understand the likely school of thought from the development team that this content needs to be drawn out until the next version update. It's very clear from the 20 hour timer and the progress-resetting nature of the event. That's all well and good, but there are other ways to draw it out. I may bite my tongue here... but... lower the boss drop rates a bit, give us somewhat less research marks... just let us try the event more frequently. There's a good bit of content here with 25 expeditions... and maybe even a secret one thrown in... but it will take literally three weeks just to try every expedition ONE TIME. At that rate, if we didn't have the test server, it wouldn't even be until some point next year when we had decent strategies nailed down.

Honestly, the event is fun enough that I'd rather just get a bunch of people on the test server and try it over and over again without worrying about the rewards. But is that really what you want to encourage?

The problem here is that you (the dev team) are not introducing vast amount of content at the same time. It's not like you gave us Meeble Burrows, but a bunch of other stuff to fill in the rest of the time when we are locked out of the burrows. In the past 3+ months, you gave us Meeble Burrows, and that's it. So... let us play it instead of locking us out of it.

I'm curious to see what other people think about this - especially those who have tried a few Meeble Burrows expeditions already.
    (41)
    Last edited by Slycer; 09-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.

You already said why 20hrs was put into place, here's why 5 tag max was implemented. you can go all the way to a boss in one day, but you can't take a break and come back to destroy all the zones repeatedly.

To what do others think of the event, I wish I knew more going into it. the one I've done had 1 mob that needed to be fished up. (thank God my rod was in my satchel) Overall I dislike the drops in it; just a few really good items most of the rest are basically trash. It really reminds me of MMM. They make a really interesting system, bring back things players haven't done in forever + some things that are just new ideas for an event altogether; opening boxes based on the gold chest lock system where it always opens but you gotta guess correct or a Mimic will be there to greet you.
    I digress and type badly; too late at night; it's a fun event I just wish I could do more often and wish it dropped more amazing toys. I'll enjoy it with a few friends twice a week and we'll probably be spamming researcher every other time to get the "Bonus to spoils" that probably unlocks the nicest drops before every boss until we find out where the good stuff that is unknown drops from.
    (0)
    Last edited by Chimerawizard; 09-27-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Character
    Insaniak
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I'm also disappointed with the limited amount of time we can spend on this event. The maximum is 75 minutes every 5 days but as you said realistically it's more like 20-45 minutes. This is probably the best designed content since abyssea and we hardly get to spend any time on it. =(
    (5)
    ↓ Trolling sapling ↓

Player
    Just burned through 3 sacks in like 20m. What the hell is this crap haha.
    (0)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    It much better than assault because they released it rank by rank and it took nearly 1 year for all the missions. 1 month to complete them all is not to bad, especially since you are not forced to do them everyday (from what I understood). Idk, do it 2x a week like I did assaults back in the days ? Anyone knows if the drops are deliverable, because then you could work on mules too ? It sounds easy enough that you can farm items on mules too.

Also we gained 4 hours compared to assault so that's 8/week instead of 7 mew, or about 3 weeks to fully complete.
    (0)
    Last edited by MarkovChain; 09-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post

I may bite my tongue here... but... lower the boss drop rates a bit, give us somewhat less research marks... just let us try the event more frequently.
    I'd much rather they keep the current mark/drop rate with current 20 hr cooldown time. It's fun yeah, but I'm not interested in doing it 24/7 due to low drop rate/very little point a run.
    (3)

I'm kind of put off by the very long cooldown for a short event too. Every 10-14-ish hours for a "tag" to refresh would have been more reasonable, I think
    (4)

Character
    Slycer
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Also we gained 4 hours compared to assault so that's 8/week instead of 7 mew, or about 3 weeks to fully complete.
    Just for reference, fully completing doesn't necessarily mean you get anything good. All of the bosses have several tiers of drops, and only the rarer ones seem to be any good. So you could fairly easily go through three weeks of runs and have nothing to show for it but research marks. There are a few good research marks items, but most of the good stuff seems to be not-so-great drop rate boss drops (again this info is based on the test server since obviously nobody has even tried a boss run on the real server yet because it takes five runs before you can try one). So it's not really like assault in that way, because almost all of the good assault items that people wanted at the time came from Assault Points. Add to that the fact that you need to go back to previous runs to re-farm buffs such as "bonus to spoils" before you try boss runs, and you're realistically looking at a lot longer than three weeks if you want a decent chance at anything good from the boss runs you do.

I guess the question I would want answered most, if someone from the community team reads this and is able to respond - is there some mechanism built into the system which significantly speeds up the time it takes to either acquire pheromones or access the bosses once you beat a certain number (possibly all) of the runs? If not, any plans to reduce the timer or add such a feature in the future? Any detail would be appreciated.
    (4)
    Last edited by Slycer; 09-28-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I wouldn't mind the 20-hour wait if it wern't for the other insanities in the design. If there's going to be a cooldown for entry then the limit shouldn't be only 5 pheromone sacks. I understand it may be to fight congestion, but I figured that's why the time limit was set so low.

Also:
    Why should I have to trade my tabula thing to be able to save up to 5 pheromones?
    Why do i have to have a wasted inventory space if I choose to use up all my pheromones?

The event itself is fun, but why is the whole process/system of entry have so many holes in logic? Abyssea/Voidwatch did it right with a simple "you get a chance every x hours, save up to infinity, burn them whenever", but now we're back to "play the event every few days or get bent".
    (5)

Player
    Not to mention we are supposed to build up our power by redoing earlier runs to get bonus on our books if I recall correctly, which makes it take even more time waiting.
    (0)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast