Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

I think I figured out what's causing the crashs (The new idle anti-collision update)

The crashes seem to be a result of the new collision detection system.

If you run into people who have been idle it will cause the system to shutdown eventually.

How did I figure this out? After thinking about it and having 0 crashes I decided to start running into idle people as a test (Always avoided people). AS SOON as I checked the auction house after doing this I crashed.

Go ahead people try the new anti-collision system then open your inventory do a few things or open the auction house. I think this is what's causing the problems. Running into NPCs followed by Idle players seems to make it crash more.

Update:

Does anyone know if the Japanese player base are having these crashes? If they aren't that would explain why we haven't heard from the developers about the real problem.

After closer review, It seems that swapping a lot of gear and the blinking effect might have something to do with it. It would explain why I crash less then others.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sarick; 09-27-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Honestly, I'm not willing to try it again because I've crashed enough yesterday (and I feel I will do so again by accident anyway), but from what I remember I can confirm this. The times I crashed I was definitely running through people before. Whether or not that's the reason I can't say, but it does point that way.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Kayvindra
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    While its a good guess I don't think that's the only reason why people are crashing. A good example of this is my linkshell's Legion runs yesterday and today. I crashed multiple times as well as other people in the shell while casting magic, using 2 hours and other random job abilities (Both PC and Xbox players in my shell having this issue). Possibly at one point I or an LS member ran through an idle person and that could have caused the first crash. However, upon logging back in, if this was the problem, we should not have continued to crash because after re-logging back in we were in Legion where we're all running around in zone, meaning no idle people for us to run through.
    (0)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayvindra View Post
    While its a good guess I don't think that's the only reason why people are crashing. A good example of this is my linkshell's Legion runs yesterday and today. I crashed multiple times as well as other people in the shell while casting magic, using 2 hours and other random job abilities.
    Memory corruption is like a fuzzy bomb. It doesn't always explode until something activates it. You can run a loaded program with corrupted memory and not even notice it. Until the data is called from that corrupted location the program will continue hauling along like everything is perfect.

Just the logic for the collision detection could be messed up.

Lets say you have CBA0123456789ABC In memory the bold part decides if a target activates a collusion. Now say you hit someone idle and the 1-9 is pushed to the wrong address and comes out to CBA0120123456789 see how 789 over ran into the ABC part?
    Now if th
    (0)
    Last edited by Sarick; 09-26-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Kayvindra
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Right, but AFTER we crashed and relogged back into the game there was no one idle in the zone and yet myself and others continued to crash multiple times. I could see the collision with an idle player possibly causing the first crash, but what about the 2nd, 3rd etc?
    (0)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayvindra View Post
    Right, but AFTER we crashed and relogged back into the game there was no one idle in the zone and yet myself and others continued to crash multiple times. I could see the collision with an idle player possibly causing the first crash, but what about the 2nd, 3rd etc?
    It could still the anti-collision detection system just not causing damage from idle but from collision being on.

Run through people who are idle see if you crash. Then run through moving people and see if you crash. I've played several hours not having issues. Then after running into people or npcs it starts crashing. Needs ore testing from someone other then me. I sick of crashing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sarick; 09-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Character
    Kayvindra
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    My linkshell is basically having to cancel our events until its fixed because we can't exactly do Legion/ADL when half of us are crashing every 4-5 minutes. It upsets me that SE hasn't even commented on this except:
    - The game may crash when items are displayed in your inventory or in the purchase screen on NPCs.

Absolutely nothing about people crashing who aren't looking at inventory and crashing. No mention that they acknowledge that there is an issue other then the inventory/NPC crashes.
    (0)

Character
    Kayvindra
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarick View Post
    It could still the anti-collision detection system just not causing damage from idle but from collision being on.

Run through people who are idle see if you crash. Then run through moving people and see if you crash. I've done it enough after not having issues for over 10 hours after running into people or npcs it starts crashing.

Yea I actually posted on the other thread you posted in about this. I ran through a bunch of people in Bastok Mines who were idle, some moving, zoned into my MH, ran through my moogle. Each time after I ran through someone I opened my inventory and I haven't crashed....yet.
    (0)

Character
    Vagrua
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Add me to the list of crashers. Was selling an Elixir at an NPC and crashed just now. Some linkshell members were crashing in between events too.
    (0)

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    The collision detection thing doesn't have anything to do with the crashing, at least not in the way you think. We were doing the 3 caturaes + PW last night and had a total of 8 or 9 crashes throughout the fights, and I can assure you noone was afk/idle. In fact, every time I have crashed, it's been in the middle of fighting something - except the one time I crashed while scrolling through my inventory looking for an item to trade to someone else.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast