Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    While that does have a tech sense limitation, it might still be possible.

Unlike auto-attack, and Auto-ranged attack would not be used as a primary/main source of damage. Their wouldn't be a ton of ppl trying to use that in combat to defeat mobs.

The main use of the auto-ranged attack would be an aid to help skill up ranged attack. (since 424 levels worth of skill ups, done by manually shooting one arrow at a time is mentally excruciating, not to mention a time sink thats at a high level even for this final fantasy.) Using an auto-ranged attack feature for skilling up would not have the problem of entering other command in the middle, or ws'ing, since their not really using that.

Honestly i feel an auto-ranged attack with a mear toggle on/off method, would be more then helpful to players. Despite any of the command problems the Dev's listed. I know id be willing to deal with those issues for this feature.
    (0)

Character
    Craftthree
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Solution for no auto attack: A "Permanant Double Shot" buff.

Heres why:

I used to think auto attack was a good idea until I looked deeper into the mechanics.

I enjoy the freedom of no auto attack, but on the other hand, I think square enix should make Double Shot for ranged weapons a "Permenant Double Shot" Buff to make up for this defect in the system. (Optionaly making Velocity Shot buff a duration buff instead)

I kidna feel that because of the need to make up for missed macro started attacks or low damage single attacks because of the duration of time without having double shot on and the unavoidable aspect of macro fumbling/timing or just plain human error and positioning for true shot, that rangers are not putting out the same non-burst/"average damage" as other average geared jobs. This is the reason I would suggest a need for a "Permanent Double Shot".

It almost feels like Rangers have to use huge "Burst Damage" to make up for the differance of the regular "Average Damage" another job would have done. Which creates a huge amount of hate disproportionate to "average damage" over time.

What "Permanant Double Shot" would do, is fill in the need for lost "average damage", and reduce the need for "burst damage" to make up for lost "average damage", kind of like a monks two hand hits. This would allow "burst damage" to be free'd up and used as bonus damage comparable to the quality of ammo and gil/time spent more then other jobs.

The downside right now is that as the ranger becomes more powerful and draws alot more agro from those insane bursts of damage needed to make up the average damage differance, it makes the ranger an unwanted tank, where as other jobs debatably wouldn't be tanking at that point from equivilent damage. Another downside is the fact that all mobs do not last as long as the wait time before the next "burst damage" becomes availiable, which results in abnormally lower damage on some mobs during chains, and abnormally higher on other mobs the burst becomes availbable for, resulting in both ranger tanking some mobs, and producing weak damage on other mobs, creating an unbalanced and very awkward flow of chain killing.

*Definitions: Burst Damage, Perma Double Shot, Average Damage.

"Burst damage" would be defined as Weapon Skill + Barrage + Weapon Skill.

"Perma Double Shot" would be defined as shooting two arrows every one ranged shot.

"Average damage" would be defined as regular hits without using special abilies or burst damage.

Side Note: This would be the fastest fix and most easy by devs. I would propose a long term adjustment to allow rangers the ability to choose to store half of thier "burst damage" and allow them to add it to thier "average damage" attacks for the duration up till the next "burst damage" is avialble. Which would cut burst damage hate in half, and ultimatly strengthen their "average damage" between "burst damage" cycles.
    (0)
    Last edited by Bahamut; 02-17-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    What the necro.

Ranged auto attacks aren't a good idea, not useful. IMO we just need to be able to use ranged Weapon Skills without being engaged.
    (2)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    What the necro.

Ranged auto attacks aren't a good idea, not useful. IMO we just need to be able to use ranged Weapon Skills without being engaged.
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind haste/march increasing snapshot in some way though. We're still way behind in terms of weapon skill frequency, however, that's a different story if you own a KC.

More than anything, I just want the recycle adjustments... so I don't feel guilty about going my favorite job (RNG) while I'm trying to finish my mythic.
    (2)

Here's a novel idea.
    Blow it up and change everything about ranged attackers to make them more in line with melee.
    No more ammo at all. By a single arrow/bullet/bolt of a certain type and all ranged attacks are of that type until a different ammo is equipped in slot. Lose TP as always for swapping ammo. Make getting ammo's like getting spells. Even better make it like getting BLU spells, where you have to learn certain ammo types from a ranged mobs. Others can be sold by NPC or found in chests or are rare drops from NM's.

Get rid of unlimited shot, recycle, etc.

Then turn ra into an auto attack function which can be hasted.

Then fix enmity so that rangers can shed it easily or can't reach cap and avoid having the mob wander over.

just my $0.02
    (2)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Yummypie
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    Here's a novel idea.
    Blow it up and change everything about ranged attackers to make them more in line with melee.
    No more ammo at all. By a single arrow/bullet/bolt of a certain type and all ranged attacks are of that type until a different ammo is equipped in slot. Lose TP as always for swapping ammo. Make getting ammo's like getting spells. Even better make it like getting BLU spells, where you have to learn certain ammo types from a ranged mobs. Others can be sold by NPC or found in chests or are rare drops from NM's.

Get rid of unlimited shot, recycle, etc.

Then turn ra into an auto attack function which can be hasted.

Then fix enmity so that rangers can shed it easily or can't reach cap and avoid having the mob wander over.

just my $0.02
    Can not be done or costs too much time. Range attack is currently similar to an ability. It can not be influenced by haste or slow and need the user to activate it. Changing it will either require a different set of auto attack for a few jobs.

Right now only melee attacks is auto attack. Everything else requires the player to activate. Depending on how auto attack is made 'auto attack is part of melee' or 'melee is part of auto attacking' you might be able to squeeze in ranged or you might have to remake the whole battle system.
    (0)

I do a manual auto attack on the rare occasions I get to use my rng using my pull macro with a wait command and all 6 lines filled but on <bt>. since hitting any other macro breaks that one I don't have an issue as my unlimited shot macro incorporates the ammo change and the change back. It's not a perfect fix, but it is viable. Still, SE has said something like this was in the works. Now, things with SE are sometimes in the works for 5+ years so...
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    This should go both ways:

Auto Attack needs to be universal, and there needs to be a "Delay Attack" mode so you don't have to turn around to stop auto-attacking.

Then we can have /haltattack macros for NMs who gain HP or use crazy JAs when hit after certain attacks/TP moves.

Mean while, it sucks you can't stack <wait> in macros, or else you could do:

/shoot <stnpc>
    /echo Ranged Attack = (<lastst>) <wait ##>
    /echo Ranged Attack Ready!
    /shoot <stnpc>
    /echo Ranged Attack = (<lastst>) <wait ##>
    /echo Ranged Attack Ready!

Since Delay 110 = 1 second, basically you'd do (Delay / 110) * 60 and get how long you'd need to <wait> (plus/minus whatever modifiers), then from there you'd just have to tap enter to confirm the shot. Too bad you can't loop macros, I guess? Maybe if you could you wouldn't even need to set it for confirm, just <t> then <lastst> over and over in a loop.
    (1)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Player
    No point, this game is too old, would take a huge amount of resources to overhaul. Let it be. If this game was brand new, there'd be hope but lets just accept these flaws for what they are. This game has 3-4 years left in it tops.
    (0)

Character
    Flupplewolfe
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    This is still relevant today. My view is what should be done is what the dev response described, but have a way to stop attacking while still engaged:

Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    Greetings,

We definitely understand the desire to have automatic ranged attacks and/or a toggle to switch it on and off. As the system is now, if we were to implement auto-ranged attacks, characters would be unable to use weapon skills or abilities during the ranged attack animation and the auto-ranged attack would interfere with the priority of the other abilities/WS. To address that issue would take a huge overhaul to the core system, so unfortunately it's not as simple as you might hope. However, we do understand there is a desire for an automatic ranged attack, and if it should change, we'll be sure to let you know.
    I think you could get by with just a toggle on/off, with the current system. Have people toggle it off when they want to get ready to weaponskill or use job abilities, this would be a large improvement. Also, while it's toggled on, your ranged weapon should stay out full time like Semih Lafina's trust. There'd also need to be a way to define and equipset for both snapshot and midshot of each shot.
    (1)
    Last edited by Fae; 01-26-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5