Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    Can't help but notice the events you listed are incredibly boring. I realize there's a formula at work here, where we do events for gear and shinies, but we only do those events for the shinies and not because the event is fun.
    If everything is boring to you, including PvP, then I really can't think of much else that you find fun, prehaps you can try another game. Although personally I haven't play a single MMO that doesn't get incredibly boring after you spend 200+ hours into the game. I quit WoW/warhammer/FFXIV after a few days of playing, only SWTOR still struggling because of the story(but planning to quit after I finish story), cuz most of them just using same game mechanic over and over.

Yes we do event for shinies, that's just the way it goes in MMO, that after 1st time you do something, 2nd time it got incredibly boring. If it doesn't offer reward, no matter how fun it is nobody will be interested in doing it for 2nd time. And the main goal of MMO is to keep players playing.

The only way is probably a well made, balanced PvP system, so those players stick around and improve their skill to get better result. Like how players play Starcraft, or Street fighter4 over and over, to practice and get better at it.

Other then that, there aren't many game mechanic that's "incredibly fun". Most likely it'd just be kill this, kill that. Dodge attack, guard boss attack, dodge trap, select right skill rotation, kill epic boss and so on, like every other MMO out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    Off Topic: I'm of the opinion that they should offer non stat related customization as a reward more often. They should add things like warp points that can only be gotten by beating certain tiers of content a certain number of times, or enhancements that turn that butt ugly gear into "super fly, I'm the bestest of the bestest and you can tell just by looking at my gear" type gear. Instead of having events where you have a 1/10 chance of getting an item that's worth 1,000,000 gil, they could just make the event drop 100k every time (These numbers are of course just an example, as every event would be different).
    No, it won't work for the person you replied His problem is that no matter what he does, he found it incredibly boring, and he'd rather do something with no reward but something fun. Personally besides PvP, or some sort of archievement system, I couldn't think of any game mechanic that can keep players play for years and always find it entertaining, without offering shinies/reward.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 11-06-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    If everything is boring to you, including PvP, then I really can't think of much else that you find fun, prehaps you can try another game. Although personally I haven't play a single MMO that doesn't get incredibly boring after you spend 200+ hours into the game. I quit WoW/warhammer/FFXIV after a few days of playing, only SWTOR still struggling because of the story(but planning to quit after I finish story), cuz most of them just using same game mechanic over and over.
    Incorrect. I enjoy Campaigns, Besieged and the occasional Brenner match. Limbus is mildly entertaining, occasionally awesome if we pick the harder version, and I have fun being a jerk in Dyna here and there. Einherjar is another rather fun event that I enjoy with my LS though I haven't been going much lately. I like "Kill all of the things!" events as well as pieces of content that I can either solo or duo to pass time and earn merits or whatever I happen to be busying myself with at the time. Assault is pretty fun too when I can get more than one other person willing to go.

Frank brings up an interesting idea, I would also like to see some form of non-stat related customization. Mostly because I want to annoy the crap out of everyone around me by coloring all of my armor bright pink.
    (2)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    Incorrect. I enjoy Campaigns, Besieged and the occasional Brenner match. Limbus is mildly entertaining, occasionally awesome if we pick the harder version, and I have fun being a jerk in Dyna here and there. Einherjar is another rather fun event that I enjoy with my LS though I haven't been going much lately. I like "Kill all of the things!" events as well as pieces of content that I can either solo or duo to pass time and earn merits or whatever I happen to be busying myself with at the time. Assault is pretty fun too when I can get more than one other person willing to go.
    1. Campaign isn't much more fun than every other event. You just kill mobs without much strategy too.
    2. Besieged is lag feast
    3. Brenner is PvP which I mentioned.
    4. Ein/limbus is do it for shinies event.

Honestly your comment confused me, first you complained events are boring and ppl only do for shines, then you listed a bunch of events you had fun and ppl did for shines too. So what exactly do you want? An event that's fun but doesn't offer shines? What exactly do you want that you think it's fun? If you like kill all, pretty much everything in XI is kill all.

There really isn't anything wrong with event offering shines. It provides incentive to do more than once and keep players around. I don't see a point to take the reward away from event, it will just make the event utterly pointless to do and that's it. However, having shines doesn't stop the players from doing it for fun.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 11-08-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Player
    Its good to offer items, its good to offer fun, its great to have both in one. The problem is most of the time they don't go together. VW, good gear, no fun because its more annoying and aggravating than anything. PvP is fun, but no rewards for doing it.
    (1)

Character
    Kaliyah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Personally, when the group did as they were expected (us meds, split on kill all floors etc) the event was fun regardless of if we ultimately won, or didn't win in my experience. It was when the lack of using meds, or people not following directions that made it seem aggravating cause the event was so time sensitive on top of luck dependent. Sadly a big portion of getting through things fast was tied to Embrava up to this point. I hope that with the change to the spell and what little they are actually adjusting ontop of that for NNI, they will notice the difficulty and adjust it a bit more.

Without the changes to Embrava, I'm fairly certain that the original make up of people I did this with would probably had greater than 50% success rate on hitting fl100 especially when considering lamp floors had more down time than needed just waiting for them to reset in some cases. With the Embrava changes, I would rather see them limit the number of times you can land on a lamp floor each run to 4 times.
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    1. Campaign isn't much more fun than every other event. You just kill mobs without much strategy too.
    2. Besieged is lag feast
    3. Brenner is PvP which I mentioned.
    4. Ein/limbus is do it for shinies event.
    I have my opinion about the events currently available, and you have yours. Can't we just leave it at that?

Honestly your comment confused me, first you complained events are boring and ppl only do for shines, then you listed a bunch of events you had fun and ppl did for shines too. So what exactly do you want? An event that's fun but doesn't offer shines? What exactly do you want that you think it's fun? If you like kill all, pretty much everything in XI is kill all.
    I want the game to be fun again. I can make my own fun with LS buddies while we do events, but most events aren't tailored to being fun, they have a list of objectives and how we choose to accomplish those objectives may or may not produce a fun experience. For example, when fighting anything other than Odin in Einherjar we just run straight at it and hack and slash our way to victory. But if our DDs do it while wearing "the outfit" we have a bit more fun, and there are unshaven Elvaan and Galka legs exposed everywhere. I feel sorry for our Taru friends at these events.

There really isn't anything wrong with event offering shines. It provides incentive to do more than once and keep players around. I don't see a point to take the reward away from event, it will just make the event utterly pointless to do and that's it. However, having shines doesn't stop the players from doing it for fun.
    I never said there was anything wrong with rewards for events, I just commented on the fact that most of these events are just a means to an end, and are designed for maximum grinding rather than being entertaining. The only fun happens when we make it happen. But I don't think it has to be that way.
    (0)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    So what exactly do you want? An event that's fun but doesn't offer shines? What exactly do you want that you think it's fun? If you like kill all, pretty much everything in XI is kill all.

Any event in a MMORPG that doesn't offer both fun and advancement at the same time, is a failure. Yes, I understand the implications of what I'm saying. There's a lot of failure in this game and many others.
    (4)

Character
    Detzu
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by wish12oz View Post
    Random thoughts I want to reply to since I last looked at this thread like 3 days ago:

Playing a melee job is not all that hard. You engage things, you use abilities once in awhile, and you WS when you have 100 TP. Simple as that.

The skill part of these jobs comes in knowing what gear to get and use for what enemies, WSing right before or right when you get 100 TP, knowing when it is most effective to use your abilities, learning how to acquire the gear you need, actually acquiring it, etc. For Nyzul specifically, macroing on/off run fast shoes to do your best to remove engage/disengage position lock is a pretty skill based thing to do, knowing when the flan NM suddenly gets healed when you hit it with your stick so you don't suddenly fill it back up to 100%, having good memory so you know which ways you have run already, which ways other players have run already, where other players are when they say things like "I found it," and knowing to not follow the other person when there are two ways you could go.

SAM is good in Neo Nyzul? Since when?
    WAR MNK and BLU are the best melees for Neo Nyzul, and I will explain why.

WAR because it has a huge single target WS (Ukkos Fury), a big damage AOE WS (Fell Cleave) and Tomahawk for annoying mobs that take reduced damage, like some of the flan NMs, slimes, skeletons, etc, that you constantly fight all the time. It also has cheap/easy to acquire run fast shoes (Hermes Sandels) from the AH.

BLU for the same reasons as WAR, big damage single target WS/spells, AOE spells, decently easy to acquire run speed (Crimson pants, but these are harder than Hermes) plus it gets stuns, and can do magic damage to stuff to avoid slashing damage penalties or take advantage of stuff that takes extra magic damage or no physical damage.

MNK is worse off than the previous two, but it can use Formless Strikes to fight the flan NM when it goes into "physical damage heals me mode," or to beat on things like slimes. It also has Hermes Sandels. And its not like the stuff in Neo Nyzul is hard at all, so it doesn't take much of a hit from being a 1 handed weapon job.

SAM DRK DRG do not have this one advantage MNK has over them, so they are all inferior compared to it. And 1 handed melees are generally just bad compared to 2 handed in any event where you basically sit at capped haste all the time, since their Dual Wild suffers tremendously, their WS's are all inferior damage comparatively and their overall DoT is just much lower, and thats the only thing the remaining jobs have going for them.
    Sorry for the mega delay, but do you know drk have twilight scythe and with apoc can almost solo a complete floor of NMs?
    (1)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    hmmm well if you were to have to chose from a war with all tricks and gear vrs a drk nni would heavily favor the drk i mean tomahawk is nice but its only a 25-30% Sdt drop, and most of the in jobs for nni have better ways to get around pdt blus of course are going to req it(nasty attack penalty but alittle def down makes it barely noticeable) mnks formless (tho they take a 40% to 5% dmg penalty for it) as dutz said drk has twilight which ignores -Sdt and i think -dt as well. A drk with relic scythe has alot more serviablity than a war, thax to an hp draining weponskill, and tho ukon is a beast of a weapons skill Gs merit weapon-skill can go toe to toe with it, and drk using there tricks can make it come out on top.

this part is just my opinion, but after embrava loses its balls blu mnk drk nin(maybe) and dnc will be the go to jobs for dd slots in nni(tho this is assuming emp harp brd take over at least 1 of the schs slots)
    (0)

Character
    Peldin
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    agreed with everything up until you mentioned nin as a top dd slot
    (0)

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19