Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

stupid question about ochain

so I know the 90 ochain has an outrageous block rate, but I have not seen any data on the block rate for the 85 ochain, and was curious if it was any better than a shield you could buy off the AH(since its 50 ironclad plates and that's piss easy), the only info I was able to gather about it was from a friend that recently upgraded to a 90 ochain and that was limited to "the 90 version blocks noticeably more often" which I assumed would be the case anyway, I feel like a noob having to ask about this and I expect the first response to be "why not upgrade to 90+ anyway?" and the answer being I don't have time, the 85 version I could probably get cranked out in a few hours with friends, the 90 version and beyond would take substantially more time since the items drop off tier 3 VNMs, I'm basically trying to evaluate as to if the 85 ochain is worth the time if I'm not going to take it further, I'm expecting the answer to be no its not, but I would rather find out and be sure than not know and have it turn out to be worth it
    (0)

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    pretty certain the 85 (base ochain) isn't worth any time investment, if you aren't going to unlock it (upgrade it to 90)

the blockrate comes with the level 90 version iirc.
    (1)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    all right, that's what I was thinking, thanx
    (0)

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    ...... No its not, 90+ ochain or gtfo. I have no good facts, but the pld I rolled with practically hid his until 90... I never bothered asking why, but trusted his judgment, and helped him pop gazzillions and gazzilions of ifrits in altepa. I don't know, but if your that close, just start, you'll get it done soon enough. Imo. Good luck, nothing more reassuring than a good geared pld.
    (0)

Character
    Bryangelos
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Well to answer your question the 85 Ochain has normal shield block rate, so no its not worth your time. Also the 85 Ochain requires vnm's, the one you get with plates is not a ochain. So if you were to get the 85 ochain all you would need is azdaja for your 90 ochain.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bryangelos View Post
    Well to answer your question the 85 Ochain has normal shield block rate, so no its not worth your time. Also the 85 Ochain requires vnm's, the one you get with plates is not a ochain. So if you were to get the 85 ochain all you would need is azdaja for your 90 ochain.
    Exactly this lol. Unlike the other Empys, shield and harp require 3 trials in abyssea to be useful. Iron Plates just augments the Utilis Shield with def +9 (to total 10 def). Souls make it an Ochain lvl 85, then like Byrangelos said, you then need Azdaja Horns to make lvl 90.
    (1)

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Ochain 85 is nothing, 90 is were the block rate occurs. But, let me just say this. As a pld, if you have both aegis and ochan, you are going to be using alot aegis more on avg, so in your situation, I suggest getting the free drop shield from providence.

I did azdaja dual boxing and with a thf friend in two days, its a joke if you use nin or thf and have another nin or thf standing back to jump in after you pull (in case it uses dispell, mine it used in beginning or not at all. There was only like 1-2 times it used in the middle or end of the fight.), killing it on pld/nin without the friend was extremly hard, but i could at least survive the full dispel on pld, i just died every 3rd or so because of endoom and not being able to cursna fast enough (SE since changed the recast time on this spell), there were a few times i used 5 holy waters and 8 cursna and still died so i switched to nin.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

I do Azdaja whm (out of party), nin/dnc, thf/nin. Stun all spells. pull it towards the flux to fight in case of dispelga on pull. other tank can hold it while the puller gets new buffs. Really easy fight, but if you take others to help proc, they should all be /nin. (whm can probably be in pt too but preferably should be /nin too). Always tank from behind and eat spike flails with shadows.
    (0)