Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    "Melee" side is a matter of WS selection and gear options. Fix those and we're set.
    This I couldn't agree more with. Tho some actually job traits would be sweet.

"Mage" side is about SE removing the stick from their arse and letting us aoe buffs.
    This not so much, tho i wouldn't be upset to have it happen. Just moving our self target buff's in to single's targeted ones would do just fine. Honestly I fine it some what silly that any one would make a job so selfish in it's casting. Especially in a MMORPG game.
    (9)

Character
    Calatilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    The problem with RDM is the player base can't agree on what to do with it,and SE has no clue where they're going with the job, if they're even going anywhere with it at all.
    (1)

Character
    Calatilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrantsyn View Post
    This I couldn't agree more with. Tho some actually job traits would be sweet.
    RDM (of all jobs) should have been given Fencer, since, well, that's essentially what they are. Sure you can get it though sub, but they shouldn't have to.
    (4)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I actually would say leave DW gained only by /nin or /dnc

That said, I'd vote for a new Job Trait.

main-gauche
    Allows user to equip a parrying-dagger in their left hand. (sub slot)
    Level 40 - RDM (10% Delay reduction)

Main hand must be a sword, this does give it available to all as /RDM however the only real jobs that /RDM either have native DW or can't equip Swords/Daggers

Seeing as we're depicted as a fencer, with main weapons being rapier's/épée and having B skill in both Daggers and Swords, etc it fits the image perfectly, also it allows for the additional damage, the 10% is so they can make it so Enhances "Dual Wield" Effect equipment works with it, along with a possible new category for equipment Enhances "main-gauche" effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
    (7)
    Last edited by Daniel_Hatcher; 08-25-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Well seeing as the bonus's from Fencer transfer to weapon skills, it would be a good trait to give RDM at the same levels as WAR gets.

Fencer V at 99 is
    +9% Crit +55 TP

Couple this with giving RDM all the EX sword weapon skills and us having CDC and it's not a bad setup. Still loses to DW builds but at least it can hold it's own when your not /NIN or /DNC.
    (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I always assumed the problem with rdm was that SE's paradigm for them is to be jack of all trades and master of none, and in the min/maxing world of ffxi master of none kind of sucks, meaning SE's idea for rdm is for it to suck...

which I think is stupid to design a job to suck, but I cant readily think of a new idea to fix rdm that wouldnt subtract from its versatility or make it OP

but then again my rdm isnt above 60 yet so maybe my understanding of it is totally skewed, just thought I'd post my thought on it since I hadnt seen it mentioned yet
    I do like rdm and hope SE eventually gives it some nice toys that are exclusive to the job, but somehow I see this being a lower priority for the dev team than finishing the up coming new jobs or rebalancing other jobs :/
    (0)

Character
    Tamarsamar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    Your argument is one of false dichotomy. It is not mage OR melee, it's both. A Red Mage without melee capability is called a Scholar. If you don't believe me go check their spell lists, everything *mage* RDM can do a SCH can do better.
    Not my false dichotomy. The point of the original post was that the Red Mage community as a whole was apparently split into simultaneously wanting and not wanting two different sets of fixes; a collective false dichotomy.

Judging from the initial response to this thread, though, it seems that I was partially mistaken.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    I love back in 2006 when they said Mythics would be the casual-player's alternative to Relic weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    FFXI Official Forums in a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by saevel
    The stupid is strong here.

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarsamar View Post
    Not my false dichotomy. The point of the original post was that the Red Mage community as a whole was apparently split into simultaneously wanting and not wanting two different sets of fixes; a collective false dichotomy.

Judging from the initial response to this thread, though, it seems that I was partially mistaken.
    It does seem like that from the outside, but anyone that still plays RDM or continues to have interest in it has similar opinions. We give idea after idea because we hope one will stick and not be rolled into DNC or RNF or SCH....or GEO....or FML....

We all agree we are on the shallow side of the pools in multiple categories:
    • Haste Gear for DDing
    • WS gear
    • WSs
    • Useful Enfeebles
    • Job Traits for melee
    • Job Abilities for magic (double cast where?)

None of us think that we need giant buffs. Just enough to put us back in the game. Compare BLU to RDM. We want to be somewhere closer to that. We are currently 100% perspiration and 0% dev team inspiration. We don't need free rides, but SE has given out enough of them already that it seems insulting that we don't even get a fair shake at the buff tree that so many jobs suckle upon.
    (6)
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    I actually would say leave DW gained only by /nin or /dnc

That said, I'd vote for a new Job Trait.

main-gauche
    Allows user to equip a parrying-dagger in their left hand. (sub slot)
    Level 40 - RDM (10% Delay reduction)

Main hand must be a sword, this does give it available to all as /RDM however the only real jobs that /RDM either have native DW or can't equip Swords/Daggers

Seeing as we're depicted as a fencer, with main weapons being rapier's/épée and having B skill in both Daggers and Swords, etc it fits the image perfectly, also it allows for the additional damage, the 10% is so they can make it so Enhances "Dual Wield" Effect equipment works with it, along with a possible new category for equipment Enhances "main-gauche" effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
    Does the parrying dagger give Parrying Skill?
    Does this trait stack with Dual Wield so that if you do it while /NIN or /DNC you get further reductions?
    If you main hand a Dagger (i.e. Mandau) and offhand a sword, do you still get the trait? What about rapier and epee type swords if not all swords?
    (2)
    Last edited by ManaKing; 08-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaKing View Post
    Does the parrying dagger give Parrying Skill?
    Does this trait stack with Dual Wield so that if you do it while /NIN or /DNC you get further reductions?
    If you main hand a Dagger (i.e. Mandau) and offhand a sword, do you still get the trait? What about rapier and epee type swords if not all swords?
    For SE to be lazy, I'd probably just have it so any dagger can go there, while potentially adding one such as:

Parrying Dagger
    DMG 45 Delay 170
    Attack +15 Parrying Skill +15
    Increases rate of Parrying
    "Tactical Parry" +2
    Level 99 RDM

I'd have it so equipment with "Dual Wield" + on it would effect it, so it's completely possible the trait itself would increase it, while adding two swords instead of just sword/dagger but it would have to only increase Sword & Dagger not Dagger & Dagger/Sword & Sword.

Would be up to SE, personally I'd say yes, but if they wanted to be specific it would probably only be off-hand.

Again, it'd just be best to do all swords.
    (4)

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast