Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kingfury
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Reinvent Red Mage Enfeebling, Enhancing, and Healing: New "EMBEDMENT" Ability

As time has passed over the years playing ffxi, I've listened to the outcry from the RDMs to the DEVs in regards to fixing their role in the end game party set up. Every update for RDM has failed to do that unfortunately at this point, so I wanted to present my concept that may help.

Reinvent Red Mage's Role as Enfeebler, Enhancer, and Healer

EnSpell Embed Ability (Embedment):
    In a situation where a players standard magic is not enough to cripple an enemy target, RDMs will be called into the battle to "Embed" a specific enfeebling, enhancing, or healing effect using a modified Enspell technique.

RDM Job Ability Embedment
    Obtained: Red Mage Level 50
    Recast Time: 15 secs
    Duration: 0:30-3:00(Depending on enspell charge)
    Description

The ability to embed the elemental nature of the users current enspell into the body of an enemy target.
    The ability by itself does not activate the desired elemental effect within the enemy target, but rather primes the target so the RDM can charge the embedded element using a supporting enspell and induce the proper corisponding spell to produce the desired enfeebling, enhancing, or healing effect.

Ability Mechanics
    The desired Embedment effect activation depends on (1.)which enspell is embedded, followed by (2.)which active enspell is used to charge the embeded enspell, and lastly (3.)which magic spell is cast to activate the effect.

Example:
    (1.) (Enspell + Embedment ability) > (2.) (Enspell charge) > (3.) (Activation Spell) = Desired effect
    As all spells in ffxi are aligned with a particular elemental quality, each embedded effect will only be activated once a specific elemental combination between the embedded enspell, the enspell used to charge the embedded enspell, and the spell used to activate the effect are used. If either of the 3 steps are not supportive of one another, the RDM will see a shatering-like visual effect burst from within the enemy target signifying the improper elemental combination has resulted in a non usuable effect. Upon a successful elemental combination, however, a imploding visual effect in the center of the enemy target will appear to the RDM signifying such.

An example of a Properly executed Embedded Enfeebling elemental effect would work as follows:
    (1.) (Enspell "Enthunder II"(lowers the target's resistance against Earth) + Embedment ability) > (2.) (Enspell charge "Enstone II"(supports the embedded enspell) ) > (3.) (Activation Spell "Slow II"(Earth based spell) ) = Desired effect "Slow II Elemental Aura effect on Main enemy target and any surrounding enemies"[/B]
    Charging effect duration:
    Enspell charging is achieved by striking the embedded enemy target with a supportive elemental enspell successfully multiple times. The RDM needs to successfully strike the enemy target once with the proper supportive enspell to progress to the 3rd step of activating the elemental effect. The maximum charging of the embedded enspell is only needed if the RDM wishes the effect duration to be lengthened past 30 secs(the duration of an embedment effect with only one successful enspell hit). A status icon will indicate the current charge amount of the embedded enspell as each successful hit lands on the enemy target. Once fully charged, the status icon will change to make the RDM aware of this. Certain embedded effects may require more of a charge to reach maximum duration than other effects. Additionally, the surrounding zone weather and day could effect the potency of each charge amount per hit.

Once the embedded effect is activated, depending on the nature of the effect, it can either effect the main enemy target as well as surrounding enemies, or subsequently the surrounding party members as effects are dispursed as auras eminating from the embedded enemy target. All embedded effects are based on the available spells within the magic list of the RDM activating the effect. Not all available RDM spells however will be allowed to be used to activate an embedded effect. All embedded effects function as an aura effect and while they are similar to their magic counterparts, they are actually "elemental effects" rather than magic. The overall potency of the effects will depend however on the RDM's respective magic skill rankings.

Enfeebling effects: If Dia III is used as the activation spell for the embedded effect, the enemy will be inflicted by an "Enfeebling elemental effect" Dia III and also produce an AOE Aura of the same enfeebling effect to any surrounding enemy targets.

Enhancing effects: If Phalanx is used as the activation spell for the embedded effect, the embedded enemy will be inflicted with an Aura that effects all party members within the vacinity with the "Enhancing elemental effect" of Phalanx.

Healing effects: If Cure IV is used as the activation spell for the embedded effect, the embedded enemy will be inflicted with an Aura that effects all party members within the vacinity with the "Healing elemental effect" of Cure IV every 15 seconds (Every player in the vacinity will receive the equivilant of a Cure IV every 15 seconds for the duration of the embedded effect).

Enemy elemental Resistance:

In the event that an enemy is immune to a specific enfeelbing magic spell, there could still be a chance that the use of an Embedded elemental effect will still be able to inflict a similar disired enfeebling effect. If an enemy is highly resistant to a particular element, however, a RDM will be pressed to use a maximum charged embedded effect to attempt inflicting the target, though they would not be guarunteed a full duration even if the embed is successfull. When pitted against an enemy that is highly resistant to a particular element, the enemy target will build a higher resistance after each successful embedded effect until becomming immune to the effect. This immunity can be reversed by using an opposing embedded element effect over time allowing a full reset of the enemies immunity to the previous effect.
    (4)
    Last edited by kingfury; 08-15-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Player
    I like your pictures, did you draw them?
    (0)
    Live, Laugh, LOVE.

Character
    Koren
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    That was a rather long and convoluted way of asking for auras.

It's my understanding that to use this ability you first need the Enspell II that weakens the desired element (Enthunder II) + the Enbedment ability. Then cast the Enspell II (Enstone II) and hit an enemy receiving something similar to DNC Finishing Moves. Then it is finished by casting the appropriate supporting spell (Slow II) to give the target an aura of the spell. The Enbedment process can fail if you use the wrong spells.

There's a few issues with this.

1. It's looks to take a long time to do. You have 2 Enspells to cast, the ability, the final spell and the melee time all to create an aura effect. In that time you probably could have hit all of them with single target enfeebling spells.

2. The process can fail. During the time between the second Enspell and the finishing spell, the RDM would be locked from casting any other spells until the process is complete or have to start all over again.

3. There is no purpose to the first step I can see other than to complicate it. Enbedment can just as easily be combined to any Enspell to start the charging process rather than one Enspell to start and a second Enspell to charge.

4. RDM does not have Enlight II or Endark II and is unable to use healing with Enbedment according to your method unless you associate Cures with something other than light.

It needs to be streamlined. Have an Enspell (Enstone II) active. Activate Enbedment to start a charges per hit. Charges are used up when a supportive spell (Slow II) is cast. An unsupported spell (Paralyze II) will not use up charges. Simple and to the point.

All that being said, I don't see this doing what RDM is hoping for, a secure spot in the endgame scene. There are very few places where players fight a significant number of mobs at once and those are either slept, or held. Enfeebling as a whole benefits long fights; DoTs give more damage, Paralyze and Slow prevent more attacks, etc. It's pretty obvious this was designed to put RDM on the frontlines, but the style of getting charges through Enspell II effects favors weak, fast weapons like daggers. With high defense and evasion of endgame NMs and RDM B rating in knives and swords, it would take someone exceptionally geared with a proper subjob to be effective. I've tried hitting things with my average geared BLU while /SCH in VW and I'll just say it was less than impressive.

To reiterate, looks interesting, certainly something people can support, but I don't think it will bring the results you're after.
    (3)

Character
    Kingfury
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Koren View Post
    That was a rather long and convoluted way of asking for auras.

It's my understanding that to use this ability you first need the Enspell II that weakens the desired element (Enthunder II) + the Enbedment ability. Then cast the Enspell II (Enstone II) and hit an enemy receiving something similar to DNC Finishing Moves. Then it is finished by casting the appropriate supporting spell (Slow II) to give the target an aura of the spell. The Enbedment process can fail if you use the wrong spells.

There's a few issues with this.

1. It's looks to take a long time to do. You have 2 Enspells to cast, the ability, the final spell and the melee time all to create an aura effect. In that time you probably could have hit all of them with single target enfeebling spells.
    -----------------------
    Well, I had to describe it out past just saying "RDMs needs an ability that makes their spells Aura-like" lol. Yep you have the concept down.

I figured it would sound like a long winded process written out lol, but it wouldn't be thanks to the loads of "Fast cast" that RDMs have, the casting would be nearly seamless while moving from steps 1-3. As far as the "melee time", just remember the RDM would only have to strike the target once to activate the Enspell charge step before casting the appropriate spell. That would result in at least 30 secs of Aura effect.

2. The process can fail. During the time between the second Enspell and the finishing spell, the RDM would be locked from casting any other spells until the process is complete or have to start all over again.
    -----------------------
    Well, Yes, and Not exactly. The idea was derived around the concept of skillfully knowing ones' spells intimately to create unique aura effects, so Yes, a skilled RDM would rarely fail to produce the desired effect while a rookie RDM would be pressed to focus during combat to be effective with this process. Not exactly because the RDM would be able to cast on themselves and other party members without penalty, just not on the enemy which has been hit with the embedment ability. Once the Enspell has been embedded and the enspell charge has landed, casting the wrong spell on the target would in fact cause the process to fail.

3. There is no purpose to the first step I can see other than to complicate it. Enbedment can just as easily be combined to any Enspell to start the charging process rather than one Enspell to start and a second Enspell to charge.

4. RDM does not have Enlight II or Endark II and is unable to use healing with Enbedment according to your method unless you associate Cures with something other than light.
    ------------------------
    The answer lies in my last statement,
    "The idea was derived around the concept of skillfully knowing ones' spells intimately to create unique aura effects".
    Also I did realized that RDM is without Enlight and Endark, but I wished to create a combo system that could create light and dark elements by mixing enspells. I opted out on filling in the exact process of doing so in the Original Post, but for the most part, I figured a second enspell charge would be added to the mix to create either a light or dark embedment effect. Again it wouldn't be designed to take long at all, but should be rewarding once mastered.

It needs to be streamlined. Have an Enspell (Enstone II) active. Activate Enbedment to start a charges per hit. Charges are used up when a supportive spell (Slow II) is cast. An unsupported spell (Paralyze II) will not use up charges. Simple and to the point.

All that being said, I don't see this doing what RDM is hoping for, a secure spot in the endgame scene. There are very few places where players fight a significant number of mobs at once and those are either slept, or held. Enfeebling as a whole benefits long fights; DoTs give more damage, Paralyze and Slow prevent more attacks, etc. It's pretty obvious this was designed to put RDM on the frontlines, but the style of getting charges through Enspell II effects favors weak, fast weapons like daggers. With high defense and evasion of endgame NMs and RDM B rating in knives and swords, it would take someone exceptionally geared with a proper subjob to be effective. I've tried hitting things with my average geared BLU while /SCH in VW and I'll just say it was less than impressive.
    --------------------------
    To be honest, the concept started streamlined as you explained it, and at one point I figured this method could be for tier 1 Enspells (which would work nicely), but when I thought about the lack of skill involved vs the benefits I leaned towards something that would take a bit more concentration and practice. After all, it's not just about putting the RDM back into the end game party set up, but creating a process that a player could feel accomplished once they've mastered the process/ability. BLUs got this type of deep functionality built into their arsenal from the jump, so they only had up to go from there.

Very good insight in regards to the difficulty of actually hitting most of the current End Game NMs with a sword, so perhaps the DEVs could include an high Accuracy bonus while Embedment is active and being charged. I would assume a RDM would equip a multi-hit sword (Joyeuse or one of the TotM Sword) to make the charging process quicker. Gear swapping in some High amounts of Accuracy gear and popping some accuracy food would most likely be the result of a prepared RDM from then on if this became RDMs staple functionality.

To reiterate, looks interesting, certainly something people can support, but I don't think it will bring the results you're after.
    ----------------------------
    Thanks for the great feedback and insight /
    Ultimately, I was shooting for something that could be powerful and useful for a RDM in end game content that would alter their fate from being excluded while empowering the tools they already have at their disposal. Only creative development from the DEVs and testing by hard core RDMs would truly tell if this would be a viable answer to that issue.
    (0)
    Last edited by kingfury; 08-16-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Character
    Kingfury
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Badieh View Post
    I like your pictures, did you draw them?
    ------------------------
    indeed I did ^^
    (0)

I love that picture of the Red Mage... it is EXACTLY the way I picture Red Mage: doing some crazy elemental damage through weaponry. You rule.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfury View Post
    ------------------------
    indeed I did ^^
    Can you draw pictures of my character?
    (0)
    Live, Laugh, LOVE.

Hahah, it seems your drawing prowess has attracted more attention than the idea it was supposed to support.

I rather like the idea of sort of making the target a victim of elemental affinity, but first, they'll probably never grant us the aura effect, and second, it feels a bit convoluted. It's a roundabout, Skill Chain like way of simply enfeebling a target/buffing allies. Parties have traditionally foregone such methods for simpler routes.

If it's going to be a three-step process, it could actually stand to include other party members, and unlike Skill Chains, maybe result in something effortless (on their part, because who wants to cooperate with the melee RDM) to execute.

I've always wanted to see En-spells carry more than just poorly-scaled damage, some native beneficial effect independent of some special ability.
    (1)

612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Hiya King

Not to rain on a great idea but SE made it pretty clear they don't want aura's with RDM. Tho I will give you much credit for such a clever way of getting it in there. As always you illustration are awesome.
    (1)

Character
    Ashbringer
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfury View Post
    ------------------------
    indeed I did ^^
    Hey there! I wondered if I could take you up on the offer to design me a sig please. If so, I would very much like my character to be in full duelist, in combat if possible. Have fun with it and im sure I will love it! Would very much appreciate it if you could please.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast