Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Clandestine
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

White Mage - a few ideas from an outsider

My brother is a Lv90 WHM, but I have barely touched the job. I've been playing the game for almost 7 years now though, so I've observed enough to have my own ideas... also I've been a fan of the Final Fantasy series for almost 17 years now, so I know this job enough... I think. These ideas all come from previous installments of the Final Fantasy series:

(JA) Pray - Recovers HP for all allies in the area of effect at no MP cost. Duration: Instant Recast: 10 minutes
    HP recovered = MND x 1.25 + .25 x (target's VIT)
    So, for instance, if the WHM has 100 MND and the Target has 100 VIT, HP Recovered = 150 HP
    (JT) Miracle - Occasionally removes status ailments with Pray. Chance of removal per status ailment: 10%.
    The game does a check for each individual status ailment on the affected targets. So, for example, if you got nailed with Bad Breath's blind, silence, paralyze, and poison, you might see Blind and Paralyze go, while silence and poison persist or only 1, or all, or none would be removed.
    Magic Reflect - Returns magic back to the caster at half strength. MP Cost: 150 MP Duration: varies or 10 minutes Cast time: 10 seconds Recast: 2 minutes
    The protective barrier produced by this spell absorbs 50% of the damage and returns 50% back at the caster. The 50% returned is able to be reduced or increased based on normal damage modifiers (like if the target takes 50% more damage from fire). The amount of damage absorbed by the barrier is based on the following formula:
    (caster's enhancing skill + .25 caster's MND) x .1 (receiver of reflect's CHR)
    (4)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    They gave us similar. Pray/Martyr, Miracle/Benison. Reflect would be game breaking, but then again, you chould make it consumable. Only one instance per casting.(Rdm would get it too at a higher lvl/potentcy as a self only spell. Potentcy should be effected by enhancing skill.)
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Reflect sounds like a lot of fun... I think it might be game breaking to be able to buff others with it though.
    (0)

Character
    Dmer
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Why do people keep requesting Reflect? It makes absolutely no sense in a game where the majority of mobs that use elemental spells are also resistant/immune or actually absorb that same element.
    (0)
    99: WHM | RDM | SCH | SMN | BLM | BRD | BLU | DNC | BST | MNK
    90: PLD | WAR | SAM

Character
    Clandestine
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    In case you're new to the series though, it would also reflect Curative and recovery magic back as well and that would be added to the "damage" absorbed and make it fade faster. So in that sense, it balances out a little bit, but even making it a self buff would be welcomed I think.

I posted stuff to get a feel for what people who actually play the job think and because I was bored. I do appreciate the constructive criticism. ^^
    (1)

A form of Reflect is already in the game...it is called mimic used by the colibri...Reflect should be not be able to be cancelled thus making its use more strategic...it would be good to use on weakened players to keep them from getting one shotted by a random AoE spell...would be useless if the mob does not cast magic...additionally reflected magic ignores protective barriers like the ahrimans have but what would be game breaking would be the fact that with reflect also goes the ability of casting damage spells on oneself or allies to be reflected at the target mob.
    (0)
    90 WHM, RDM
    85 WAR

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I don't see how it would be game breaking. White mages don't have powerful nukes like Black Mages have. To have reflect to cast on themselves (even at a 10 minute recast timer with a 2 minute duration [opposite of your timers :P] ) or Reflectra to get the entire party, I wouldn't call it game breaking. Reflecting half of the damage you would normally take from a spell would sit pretty much in the better Banish III damage area, which is absolutely not game-breaking in the least. I would certainly welcome a reflect, though I'm unsure how it would react with ga spells, given 'PS2 limitations' and all.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Character
    Clandestine
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    They gave us similar. Pray/Martyr, Miracle/Benison. Reflect would be game breaking, but then again, you chould make it consumable. Only one instance per casting.(Rdm would get it too at a higher lvl/potentcy as a self only spell. Potentcy should be effected by enhancing skill.)
    In the case of both Pray and Miracle though, they would be AoE. Pray would also not take HP away from the WHM. If you've played FFIV: Advance, you would see Pray in action from Rosa. Miracle is just my twist on the enhanced version of her Pray ability in that game.

As for your suggestion for Reflect, that could be cool. They could also make enhancing magic determine the spell count for the reflect. Like every 100 levels grants a new Reflect shield upon cast. So hitting 400 would give you 4 for example.
    (0)

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I'm also an outsider to the WHM job, but here are a few things I'd want them to be able to do in the parties I'm in.

Spell: Absolution
    Level 50+
    Duration: 1 minute
    Recast: 3 minutes
    Reduce the enmity of your target.
    * Adds the "Pax" effect.
    * Targets only one party member.
    * Has one large initial reduction of enmity with the additional effect of faster enmity loss over time.
    * Does not overwrite itself and cannot be canceled manually or dispelled (to avoid exploiting the initial reduction of enmity)

---

Job Ability: Pray
    Level 30
    Recast: 5min
    Target: Party AoE
    Restores a small amount of HP to the entire party.
    * Amount of HP restored is similar to curaga. (or similar formula to that in the original post)
    * No enmity gained for the HP cured.
    * No MP cost.
    * High chance to remove countdown/doom.
    * AoE is engage-enemy range (yeah, that's big).

(I like the idea of the Job Trait: Miracle, in the original post)
    ---

Job Trait: Altana's Blessing
    Level 60
    Altana grants her blessing.
    * Immune to curse.
    * Doubles the amount cured by Pray.

---

Job Trait: Rise
    Level 65
    Reduces the penalties to maximum HP and MP values during "Death Sickness".
    This trait makes a White Mage's raise far more effective than any other source.
    * Any Whm's Raise spell fills HP and MP to the new maximum values.
    * This becomes a more distinguishing feature if they add the Phoenix Down item to the game. Raise would still be superior.

(Clearly, it would be nice if they got the Campaign NPC no-death-sickness spell too, but this would be useful until they get that.)

---

Additional Divine Seal effect:
    With Divine Seal active, enable Cursna to remove "Doom" 100% effectively.
    (Maybe make Hallowed Water do this too?)
    (1)

Character
    Sasaraixx
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    AyinDygra, I really like your ideas. I would give Absolution to SCH though, since it already has the Animus spells. Pray would make Martyr fairly useless unless it's timer were down, but if we are receiving tweaks to job specific merits then anything is possible.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast