Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    Name a recent MMO that's highly successful. Please, do it.
    DDO after Turbine took over.

(Highly is relative, game went from heading to the trash bin to making immense profits and sustaining a rapid expansion with constant content updates).

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/02...ragons-online/

1 million+ subscribers as of 2010, even more now.

Not quite pure F2P, more of a hybrid subscription model (you can chose a regular subscription or chose micro transaction system, subscription model gets all the goodies, micro transaction must use points that they either earn in-game or purchase in bundles).

DDO has become a benchmark for MMO success stories. From a failure after launch that including shutting down servers in the entire EU region to a resounding success that had servers bursting at the seams.
    (4)
    Last edited by saevel; 08-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Aldehido
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    The game should revamp itself and refocus itself on what gave FFXI it's glory. I'm really tired of seeing mediocre players with great gear because it's easy to obtain. The game needs it's sense of competition it once had.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldehido View Post
    The game should revamp itself and refocus itself on what gave FFXI it's glory. I'm really tired of seeing mediocre players with great gear because it's easy to obtain. The game needs it's sense of competition it once had.
    If you want a PvP experience go play a PvP game.

PvP was never FFXI's core competency.
    (6)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You know who says this kind of thing most often? Its not the true hardcore elites, as one might expect me to say. It's the second-rate nobodies who think they're hot shots. I know I'm a second-rate nobody, but at least I don't think I'm something special when I'm not.
    (8)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Does other people wearing good gear make your gear less useful?
    (9)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Takutu View Post
    Saying that everyone can't experience this is complete nonsense. Everyone has the opportunity to go to the camps, and compete. The game needs a sense of competition, and these events were one of the biggest competition driven events that also had the opportunity to yield some of the games best gear. I'm not saying all the best gear came or should come from camps, but quite a bit of it did, and should.
    No, saying waiting for something to pop for hours every few days with a crap drop rate is engaging is nonsense.

If you can not see there is still competition in everything people do in FFXI then you really are blind. I would rather fight over popping ???s in abyssea than spend a lifetime trying to out claim some dumb dragon.

I would rather do 200+ Pils all over again because at least I get more reward (cruor, gil, xp) out of not getting the drop compared to having to be in a LS and go through the list of BS associated with HNM camping. Besides, 200 Pils may actually be much faster while rewarding more than a top to bottom list of people in a LS.

It is better to have gear come from an instance like the new Ultima, and when did competition take priority over challange and strategy?

Do not pull the "trying to out claim others is challenging" card too. If that were the case we could all go compete over Gukumatz right now to suit your need for competition. If you have had to compete for him as much as others then you realize the flaw in the HNM system since his KI would never be 100% in an HNM world. Unless you enjoy it that much on being the first to provoke a monster then it is just a truly annoying event. Even then, leave the community out of it.

It is much more exciting and satisfying to go solo the last fight in Kupo d'Etat on BLU than it ever will be to have claimed Fafnir on your RDM and watch your LS kill it.
    (8)
    Last edited by Sp1cyryan; 08-15-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I hope everyone who's so keen on there being competition are constant participants in Ballista and Brenner. I hope they're all over the Play-As-Monster system when it's released. I hope they're racing Chocobos and tossing mobs in the Pankration ring. Something tells me none of this is or will be happening though. It's not REALLY about the competition is it? Rhetorical question. We all know it isn't.
    (8)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    I hope everyone who's so keen on there being competition are constant participants in Ballista and Brenner. I hope they're all over the Play-As-Monster system when it's released. I hope they're racing Chocobos and tossing mobs in the Pankration ring. Something tells me none of this is or will be happening though. It's not REALLY about the competition is it? Rhetorical question. We all know it isn't.
    It is more about the satisfaction of taking away what someone else wants for yourself.

Lets not forget the people who start thinking they are better than everyone else because they claimed and are wearing some gear.
    (6)

Player
    Or the groups that get everything they want out of x HNM and continue to claim it anyways to either sell the right to fight, the drops or even just to prevent others access to the gear.
    (2)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    It is more about the satisfaction of taking away what someone else wants for yourself.

Lets not forget the people who start thinking they are better than everyone else because they claimed and are wearing some gear.
    I bought all the pink shirts at the mall so that no one else could get any. Clearly I am better than those people in white shirts.
    (4)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast