Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaderofAtlantis View Post
    2 changes I'd like to see made to Cover:

1) Use the programming that guides the "Draw-In" ability of many monsters in the game to cause us to warp right in front of someone we want to cover.

I'd love to see them do this to cover. I know i'd use it a lot more if I did. As its currently used now, it's just way too much of a hassle and completely dependent on how the person you are trying to cover behaves.
    (0)

Character
    Clandestine
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I think if they allow us to jump to be in front of the person we want to cover, they'd have to change cover to be "when engaged" only. This way it couldn't necessarily be used abusively to move through or across terrain.

I was thinking about that because if you've played the original FFIV game or even a couple others, when "Cover" is used, the person jumps in front to take the hit for the other person.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Now, as for my ideas...

(JA) Intercession - Cleanses an ally of enmity. Duration: Instant Recast: 5 minutes
    Hey SCH don't worry I got your back you can be the single target nuke king again screw BLM since I got your Enmity reset covered...

(JA) Kenosis - Takes remaining MP and applies it to a damage reduction shield. (Example: 50% of max MP remaining turns into a -25% damage reduction shield.) Duration: 1 Minute Recast: 5 Minutes
    So remove all of a PLD's MP one of the things that helps it tank for a minor damage reduction during shield blocks only?

(JT) Stewardship - Defense is enhanced in proportion to enmity.
    Ok this one takes a little bit of explaining. Libra gives us percentages of enmity levels. SO, if a Paladin is at 100% enmity, it would get a 10% Defense bonus. If the cap for Paladin were increased to say, 150%, it would be 15%.
    You do realize the reason Libra is considered effectively useless is because it shows Enmity levels based on the current state not overall? In other words if you provoke and no one else does anything you will have 100% Enmity even though you are no where near the cap.

(JT) Epiphany - Occasionally reduces damage of special attacks or magic previously used by the current battle target. Chance of activating: 5%
    With this trait, monsters who like to use the same attack 3 times in a row would no longer necessarily destroy a Paladin's HP with it (Off the top of my head, like Despot with Panzerfaust).
    This is actually really cool though I think it should be something like after taking a TP move/spell if its reused again within say 30sec to 1 min the damage it reduced by say 50%. Doesn't make it completely broken but it does become situationally nice, i.e. Chainspell NMs or monsters that can use a TP move repeatedly due to strong regain.

Though honestly none of these would really bring PLD back into the tanking light.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zagen; 03-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    [..] 1) They don't have enough Red/Blue/Grellow procs on their own to be a valuable unit in Abyssea [..]
    Just wanted to point out that PLD natively has more red and blue procs than both MNK and NIN (and any other job except for WAR for that matter), only beaten in red procs by NIN/WAR, and subbing NIN it has even more grellow procs than both.
    (0)

Character
    Sonshou
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 98
    Am I too naive to assume that, too everyone's perception, a tank should only tank one foe during battle? I think to add uniqueness to Paladin, this job should made capable of shielding party members from multiple enemies during battle. While Monk and Ninja are better DD tank, they still suffer a lot when taking on multiple enemies. While Paladin boost defence and damage reduction, and can have more armor choice compare to Monk and other evasion tank.

Allow Paladins to block attacks with shield from all directions. Grants Paladin ability or spell to draw attension of monster in radius. Let Paladin to become Protector of the party from multiple foes. This would encourage people to invite a paladin to party when venture into those danger zones. We are advanturers after all, not monster hunters.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Just wanted to point out that PLD natively has more red and blue procs than both MNK and NIN (and any other job except for WAR for that matter), only beaten in red procs by NIN/WAR, and subbing NIN it has even more grellow procs than both.
    You can't look at things in a vacuum.

NIN + PLD = Missing Shadow of Death.

WAR + PLD = Missing Tachi: Koki, Tachi: Jinpu, Blade: Ei

It doesn't matter how many Procs PLD has if you're requiring 3 people to complete your set.

The same can be said for grellow:

PLD/NIN + BLM/BRD + BLU = Missing Banishga 2

WHM + BLM/BRD + BLU/NIN is the only complete 3-man Grellow team. Even if you have a PLD there, you would need a WHM anyways so you are not saving any space at all. PLD Red and PLD Grellow are redundant.

Edit: @Above, Just an fyi, MNK thrives on multiple foes. Before I finished my Staff skill grind for Cataclysm, I was easily able to tank 15+ Abyssea mobs at a time on MNK by pulling them into a niche (forcing them to line up) and countering them all to death.
    (0)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Clandestine
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagen View Post
    Hey SCH don't worry I got your back you can be the single target nuke king again screw BLM since I got your Enmity reset covered...
    SCH suppresses it over a time. I'm talking about a 1 shot removal of a party members hate. Kind of a divine intervention thing due to an "oh crap!" situation happening. Could increase the recast to 10 minutes so as not to completely step on SCH's toes.

So remove all of a PLD's MP one of the things that helps it tank for a minor damage reduction during shield blocks only?
    Not for blocking only. I say shield as a general term. Basically, it's a stronger Phalanx. I tend to get interrupted faster than I can heal myself efficiently if I'm tanking, If I can outright mitigate part of the damage for a time, it would be better. Maybe it could change to taking half of your current MP instead to form the shield and a 1:1 ratio (so if you have 50% MP left, it takes 25% which creates a 25% damage mitigation shield).

You do realize the reason Libra is considered effectively useless is because it shows Enmity levels based on the current state not overall? In other words if you provoke and no one else does anything you will have 100% Enmity even though you are no where near the cap.
    I'm aware of it now as someone pointed it out to me earlier in the thread. So it would work a bit differently than I describe, but I still feel that the better you're holding hate, a trait that rewards you for that might be nice.

This is actually really cool though I think it should be something like after taking a TP move/spell if its reused again within say 30sec to 1 min the damage it reduced by say 50%. Doesn't make it completely broken but it does become situationally nice, i.e. Chainspell NMs or monsters that can use a TP move repeatedly due to strong regain.

Though honestly none of these would really bring PLD back into the tanking light.
    I have Epiphany as a trait. There could be levels of it (perhaps we gain it at Lv30 with another level coming every 20 levels - 50, 70, 90). So if it triggers (and Suzaku chainspelling Fire IV, Firaga III, etc. would be considered the same magic damage so it could trigger then), there you go.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    SCH suppresses it over a time. I'm talking about a 1 shot removal of a party members hate. Kind of a divine intervention thing due to an "oh crap!" situation happening. Could increase the recast to 10 minutes so as not to completely step on SCH's toes.
    No what I meant is Enmity Dose is what makes BLM a better single nuker than SCH currently. BLM does 10k damage and grabs hate then does Enmity Dose so they can do another 10k. SCH does say 15k(with lower enmity generated effect on) and PLD uses Intercession on the SCH and the SCH can do another 15k beating the BLM's damage. Essentially this JA makes Enmity Dose pointless with a PLD in the group.

Not for blocking only. I say shield as a general term. Basically, it's a stronger Phalanx. I tend to get interrupted faster than I can heal myself efficiently if I'm tanking, If I can outright mitigate part of the damage for a time, it would be better. Maybe it could change to taking half of your current MP instead to form the shield and a 1:1 ratio (so if you have 50% MP left, it takes 25% which creates a 25% damage mitigation shield).
    Ah I see what you meant now, though your reason for wanting it is flawed IMO, if I'm tanking there is usually a RDM who will land Slow2 giving me plenty of time to cure myself. Even if the mob is immune to Slow it usually has an attack pattern that still allows for curing. Also not curing means you're bleeding hate without recouping it even at a lower rate its still being bled without recouping it besides melee swings.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zagen; 03-22-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Character
    Karinya
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    As players got better at the game, people realized that it really isn't that hard for any melee to tank any monster.
    I disagree. It's not that players got better at the game, it's that player *characters* got stronger relative to monsters. Merits, more and better gear, and now atmas have reduced monsters to pathetic levels of powerlessness by comparison. The balance of the game has been going out of whack since ToAU -- not just between one job and another, but between players and mobs. No mob since ToAU, except *maybe* PW, has been as challenging as the hard CoP and earlier mobs.

It's one thing for exp to get faster or easier, but when NM fights start doing the same, there is not much left of the game other than low drop rates and farming another pop set/200k cruor.

It's all been downhill since the first colibri showed up.
    (0)

Character
    Nepharite
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    WAR + PLD = Missing Tachi: Koki, Tachi: Jinpu, Blade: Ei
    just nitpicking here, but war/sam can do jinpu with gear/merits using the event GK
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast