Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Unfortunately, as our 'DD type SP', it's only great if you're fighting something with a great buff/SP to steal, eg a war, mnk or drk (possibly sam) mob that can use 2 hour.
    Aside from DDing, it's great to mitigate damage either by stealling chainspell/Manafont form a mob like AV, or by stealing Perfect Dodge/Invincible to reduce your own damage taken or just speed up a fight to allow you to kill it faster.

As for using multiple THF in legion....

A WAR with Mighty Strikes (extendable through relic+2 aug) and perma-double attack and Ragnalution or Ukko's spam will still do way more damage than a THF that stole 25 secs of Mighty Strikes trying to spam Exenterator/Rudra's. Oh and lolperfect dodge.
    No, a THF would be there for the same reason as a SMN would be. To mitigate damage taken by the DDs. And you already have SMN there for that. And remember that when this ability comes out, SMN also gets the ability to back-to-back spam BPs straight after they PD'd the DD party.
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    As for using multiple THF in legion....
    I'm not sure if that was a reply to me, but my post was a reply to FrankReynolds, where he said Aura Steal should have been able to do that. My point was that if it did, even one THF in Legion would be able to counter all Gallus' Mighty Strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    No, a THF would be there for the same reason as a SMN would be. To mitigate damage taken by the DDs. And you already have SMN there for that. And remember that when this ability comes out, SMN also gets the ability to back-to-back spam BPs straight after they PD'd the DD party.
    A THF would be there for the same reason it is there now, TH. But in addition to that, it could help with Mighty Strikes. Sure, you could use a SMN for that, but that would mean removing another useful job, as many groups currently do not have a SMN with them (including us) but do take a THF.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    A THF would be there for the same reason it is there now, TH. But in addition to that, it could help with Mighty Strikes. Sure, you could use a SMN for that, but that would mean removing another useful job, as many groups currently do not have a SMN with them (including us) but do take a THF.
    Pretty much this. SE has reaffirmed multiple times that they feel having the highest available level of TH in the game gives THF all the utility they need. The fact that they're giving THF a useful SP ability beyond that (negating other SP abilities, at that) is awesome.

In events like Legion, THFs do shit damage even if they're in a main party getting buffs due to level correction and the sacrifices they have to make to increase accuracy. Thus, you might as well bring another DD and leave the THF in the mage party. If said THF can dispel Mighty Strikes for us once a run against Gallu, that'll be great. Gallu does normal melee hits for over 2000 damage in MS. Getting rid of it is a top priority and we bring THF anyway, so it's win/win.
    (3)

Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    This is my issue though. It's win/win because for events like legion where THF would be there for TH, it's a "well, I might as well steal Mighty Strikes since I'm here chilling in the mage party anyway."

I would like to see THF adjusted to NOT be that...but I've long given up that this pipe dream will be a reality.

But this ability.... it's not so desireable that you would bring a THF specifically for it. Especially considering the things its NOT good for. Like protecting against instant 2hours, SP2 2 hours, devestaing tp moves etc. Things that Perfect defense, Chain spell Stun, etc. deal with MUCH better.

For events where you need to deal with 2 hours and moves like that, you're going to bring jobs to deal with those 2 hours. This "special ability" is not so special that it can do that even remotely close to as well as any other job.

A "hey you're here for TH so you might as well use this SP2 ability" is not the kind of thing that interests me.

It sounds like somewhat of a success though, because I hear lots of positive feedback. Perhaps I'm the only one that feels this way?
    (1)
    Last edited by Nebo; 11-25-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Player
    In light of hearing the Development Bros' strongly implied "vision" for Thief over and over, people are probably just happy to have something decent. Particularly, something that doesn't kill the Thief to apply Treasure Hunter 20 because they think Treasure Hunter 20 is statistically valid.

It's like if a tribe who believed deformed babies belong to the hippopotamus were in charge of a local hospital's NICU, basically. You're expecting, "Let's perform surgery to fix this cleft palette!" Everybody else is just relieved to hear, "Let's not feed this one to the hippo that lives on the ground floor," and doesn't want the Development Hippo Feeder Bros to re-think that decision again.
    (3)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    It's like if a tribe who believed deformed babies belong to the hippopotamus were in charge of a local hospital's NICU, basically. You're expecting, "Let's perform surgery to fix this cleft palette!" Everybody else is just relieved to hear, "Let's not feed this one to the hippo that lives on the ground floor," and doesn't want the Development Hippo Feeder Bros to re-think that decision again.
    /Sigh... This is what it has come to. People are excited that the devs added a new ability that did not make the job worse. Full blown Stockholm Syndrome has kicked in. I expect my next Square Enix bill to be written in letters clipped from tabloid magazines and to include the severed finger of a dear childhood friend.
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    While I agree with the monkey on almost everything, this time I only liked their post for the humor, not for the content. That's not at all how I feel about it, if you are, I'm sorry that it didn't pan out any better for you, but I'm very happy about this. Like I said, I wouldn't trade it for 30s worth of Triple Attack, and a while ago I would have killed for that.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    /Sigh... This is what it has come to. People are excited that the devs added a new ability that did not make the job worse. Full blown Stockholm Syndrome has kicked in. I expect my next Square Enix bill to be written in letters clipped from tabloid magazines and to include the severed finger of a dear childhood friend.
    Stockholm syndrome would imply we're overjoyed at this when we're just worried that things can only get worse.
    (0)

Player
    I do think the new SP is a very useful ability, which maybe my post didn't convey through the bitterness about the Development Bros and Treasure Hunter. It's probably better than a damage ability, given the issues that one-handed melee have with damaging difficult things on a core level.

I'm just surprised that more people aren't asking for this SP to be improved somehow while keeping the same concept; stuff such as dispelling all remaining buffs after stealing the highest priority buff. Since this isn't a buff beyond the possible benefit of something stolen, but more of a one-shot buff-removal on the enemy, it seems like there's a lot of room for improvement without making the ability too strong.
    (3)

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    That's what I want but im afraid SE might think our current SP2 they're making is the best out of all SP2 and could try that crap they did with tickets where they present us with worse options when they retool things.
    (0)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast