Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

First time FFXI player.

I've been a big fan of the Final Fantasy series for the past 15 years or so, but I just decided to give Final Fantasy XI a try.

I'd never played an MMO before this, so it's been a pretty confusing experience so far. I've managed to finish the first set of missions, making it up to rank 2, but I have no idea what to do/where to go next.

I'm a level 15 Monk in Windurst. The guy at the gate said I needed to do conquests before I can complete more missions. I don't really know how to do this though.
    I also haven't managed to find anyone to play with, so I've just been doing everything solo.
    Any pointers?
    (0)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    For missions go to your main menu and click profile, you should see a progress bar, some missions only open up when that bar is three-quarters full or what not as well as possibly having pre-requisite mission requirements. To fill up that bar you'll either need to redo an earlier mission or you can trade stacks of crystals (of any type) to the NPCs that also grant you Signet.

As for meeting ppl, lvl 15 is a decent level to start heading towards Gusgen Mines where a majority of low lvl characters congregate to spam Grounds of Valor you might be able to find a linkshell there.

To head to Gusgen Mines from Windurst is a bit of a long trek but pretty doable at your level just be sure to avoid Goblins Yagudos and Quadavs. Also buy an Instant Reraise scroll (from the NPC that grants you Signet) and use it then buy another one immediately before you start your journey.

As far as zoning is concerned, should go something like East Sarutaburata head north towards Tahrongi Canyon > Tahrongi Canyon head due East (path twists and turns then huge open area) towards Buburimu Peninsula > Buburimu Peninsula head due south following the road to Mhaura a Port village take the boat at Mhaura to Selbina (be sure to stay below deck if the music doesn't sound at all like a boat ride monsters can spawn) once in Selbina you'll be at the doorstep of Valkrum dunes > Valkrum Dunes: head East then Southeast through a tunnel and you should arrive at Konstacht Highlands from here head Southeast avioding Rams Quadav and possibly undead and you should see this giant structure called the Crag of Dem, go to it and examine the crystal telepoint (there's a shattered one and a normal one examine the normal one) to get a Dem Crystal.

This allows White Mages with the Teleport-Dem spell to instantly teleport you back there at the crag. After that head pretty much due East of the Crag to find Gusgen Mines. Once in Gusgen mines turn on your party flag and using the shout command (/sh) type in the word Any hit the tab key and select the phrase "Any Vacancies?" from the drop down list hit space and type in the word please hit Tab again and select "Please Invite Me" what you used was the Auto translate function and although limited any phrases you enter utilizing will be automatically translated on the other end of another player's client should their client be in a language other than English.

Its not a perfect translation mind you but it gets the message across. Once you get an Invite ask what page and they should give you an answer, once they tell you the page # examine the Grounds Tome near the entrance and select the training regimen associated w/ the page # they gave you.

Next be very careful and select Field Support and select Circumspection for 5 tabs to get sneak and invisible; you have to be careful cuz it's sandwiched between 2 teleport options and you don't wanna hit those after coming so far! once you are stealth-ed meet up w/ your party and hopefully you can make some friends and join a linkshell which is a group of players united by common interest and chat channel. Best of luck ^^b

Also it would behoove you to familiarize yourself w/ the website FFXIclopedia it is a database site there is another called BGWiki but that pertains more towards Endgame Events as some of their old-game tabs are not as expanded upon quite as much as FFXIclopedia. For getting to Gusgen mines I suggest throwing in to the search box the Names of the Zones and pulling up the maps of each zone so that you get sort of a visual as to how navigate the zones.

Also apologies for making it sound so complicated and daunting but hey it'll give you something to talk about once you get to Gusgen mines and maybe be a conversation starter ^^;

And if you're lucky you might get a bite on this forum post and have someone willing to extend an invitation to a linkshell in Windurst itself and actually guide you to Gusgen. Quite a bit of the game however will rest upon your own initiative so if need be buck up and start exploring the lands between Windurst and Gusgen ^^

Happy trails
    (3)

Character
    Freebytes
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    You should focus on leveling up your character first. Then, the missions will be a breeze. Also, never throw away Beastmen Seals or Kindred Seals.
    (1)

Character
    Freebytes
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Also, you should check out http://www.ffxiclopedia.org because it has a list of every mission and where to go and EVERYTHING.
    (1)

Player
    Thanks so much for the prompt responses .

What exactly is Signet though? And were would I find an NPC that would give it to me?

I checked out FFXIclopedia, and found it really helpful as far as finishing the first 3 missions. I don't think I would've been able to find my way around without their maps, and breakdowns of the missions.
    I'll make sure to put them to good use in order to get to Gusgen Mines.

The only thing I couldn't find on there was an explanation of where to go to do these conquests between missions.

Thanks for making the response as non-complicated as possible. I'm still learning all the terms involved.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebytes View Post
    Also, you should check out http://www.ffxiclopedia.org because it has a list of every mission and where to go and EVERYTHING.
    http://wiki.bluegartr.com/

is also a great reliable source. - ffxiclopedia.org will get you all the content and information up to about the level 80~90 Cap, from 91+ You should go to BG Wiki, since Old Wiki has kinda fallen on a slow update basis these days. Now, I'll take some questions from the Audiance.

Sir, Sir! What is Signet? Where can i get it?
    Good question. You see, Signet is a wonderful buff added int he beginning of the game. This buff does a lot of things. for one, It allows enemies to drop crystals, a strong source of income for newbie players. It also gives you a resistance and boost to Eva/Def against Even Match or tougher enemies. Having Signet also allows you to accrue Conquest Points.

Signet can be found by talking to Any Guard in the cities with a Lable. For example, Ones in bastok will have "I.M" In their name, ones in Windurst will be "W.W"(I think), and ones in Sandy will be "R.K". I know bastok is right, IDK about the other two. they stand for Iron Muskateer, War Warlocks, and Royal Knights.

In Most all cases, they are found Inside Cities, right next to the Exit into "Monster" Zones.... I.E - South Gustaberg/North Gusta, Ronfaur, etc

Sir! Sir! Where should i go to do these "Conquests" Between missions?
    Well, Thats more a matter of opinion my good reporter man, But if i had to say it, gun to my head... Exp. Go Exp anywhere. Killing ep~DC Mobs in quick succession might be your best bet. Alternatively, and this is important

You can trade Crystals to any Guard that gives you Signet for a Boost to your Conquest Points/Rank

So if you get a lot of crystals, and decide "I want Missions > Gil", Trade them to the I.M/etc. (Same guy that give you Signet)

All right! No more questions, I take my leave of the podium. Either way, Good luck, We're all counting on you.
    (2)

Player
    Thanks for clarifying that. I'll try to track down somebody with a W.W. in their name, then head off towards the Gusgen Mines. Would the W.W. NPC be the one that I could buy a Instant Reraise scroll from?
    (0)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Yes choose the option to view the All Ranks items and the top two should be scroll of Instant Reraise and scroll of Instant Warp
    (0)

Player
    Thanks again. I'll try that out for sure.
    Up to this point, I've just been fighting until I run out of HP, then heading out from my starting point to do it all over again.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by SOUP View Post
    Thanks again. I'll try that out for sure.
    Up to this point, I've just been fighting until I run out of HP, then heading out from my starting point to do it all over again.
    Should know, Hitting the * key will let you "Heal" HP and MP. Its a little better than dying since Potions are out of most players Reach since SE decided to put them at 500+Gil a pop instead of 20-200 Like almost every other FF Title in the world.

Some say because its Alchemy, But i say They could have stacked to 99! meh grumblegrumble.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast