Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Telepoints, Avatars, Magian Moogles, Maws, Veridical Confluxes. A long-overdue topic.

Telepoints, avatars, Magian Moogles, floating Cavernous Maws, and Veridical Confluxes are notorious for the lag they cause to almost all users. The lag is so bad and apparently so universal that I think it's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

We need an option in config or a text command to "Disable Auras". A single avatar in Voidwatch is just too much for me to be able to play a frontline job smoothly in that event, even with all effects turned off, weather turned off, shadows turned off, and even /names turned off in case that little bit helps. Back when I did Waking the Beast at 75 cap, there were so many Fenrirs that the frame rate was lower than the old Game and Watch titles, literally. The game moved at less than 1 frame per whenever I pointed the camera towards all the avatars. I've even had people tell me not to summon because of the lag my avatar caused for them. This lag is even worse if playing in the first-party windowed mode on the PC version. Please let us disable these infernal auras.

Clarification: when I say telepoint, I'm referring to the elaborate glyphs below the telepoints at Dem, Holla, Mea, Yhoator, and Altepa. The Recall and Vahzl crystals do not have this issue if I remember correctly.

Note: I did not post this topic in the technical support section because it is a universal issue experienced by nearly all players, even players who meet or exceed technical specifications. The few players who aren't graphically affected are still impacted when most of the frontline fighters in their alliance are lagging like crazy and battle performance is impacted, or when someone says "PLZ DN'T SMN I HATE AVTR LAG."

DO NOT MOVE THIS TO TECHNICAL SUPPORT. I DON'T REQUIRE ANY TECHNICAL SUPPORT. I AM SUGGESTING A NEW CONFIGURATION OPTION.
    (13)
    Last edited by Edyth; 08-04-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added cavernous maws, which also have the aura

Player
    I've noticed that whenever I'm around the items mentioned above, that my CPU usage spikes pretty high and my case temperatures start to run considerably higher.

I don't want an option to disable these things, I want them to optimize their game so this isn't an issue in the first place.
    (6)

Player
    Only real fixes would be for them to either disable it, or make a new rendering engine for FFXI that doesn't dump everything onto the CPU.

My GPU is only around 10% load in FFXI, regardless of what's going on.
    (3)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    I don't want an option to disable these things, I want them to optimize their game so this isn't an issue in the first place.
    I'd prefer this as well, but chances are that if they couldn't fix it in ten years they're not competent enough to do it. Disabling it seems like the easier way to go about it.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

What lag? I'm guessing it must be an Nvidia or Intel problem because I don't experience any lag whatsoever near any of those entities, but I use AMD.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    What lag? I'm guessing it must be an Nvidia or Intel problem because I don't experience any lag whatsoever near any of those entities, but I use AMD.
    It isn't, it's the out-dated FFXI coding.

I Have AMD and it happens to me, seems to happen more of the most recent cards, probably due to emulation of a VERY out-dated directX.
    (3)

Character
    Volarione
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 91
    I'm running on a 2011 alienware laptop. None of these have ever caused me to lag. However my game had started to just shut off completely for no known reason.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    I'm somewhat sure it's a DirectX issue. I know of no exceptions to it. Maybe your system specs are just higher so you don't notice it as much.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

I never experienced lag and i was/am on ps2/360. It might be how ur pc is loading the graphic or what is also around you with the present of such effects.
    If you are all alone w/o mobs or anything near you then it is the aura. If not its other factors @ work.
    (0)

Character
    Twille
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    It's definitely a DirectX issue. FFXI uses an old version of DirectX that dumps some of the effects off to the CPU rather than utilizing the GPU. For some PCs, this can cause a decrease in frame rate.
    (3)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast