Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    An interesting idea that doesn't break anything is to give RDM an ability similar to QD for COR. It consumes our current enspell effect to deal elemental damage of the same type. Base it on INT, main weapon base DMG and MAB. The damage type would be of the same element as the current enspell. Give it a charge characteristic similar to what COR has on a 1 or 2 min timer.

Wouldn't be a "fix" but would add some useful JA's.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Honestly, I'm not proposing any single one thing as a fix.

Now, all of them at once? That'd start to look more like a fix. Unfortunately, it feels like the devs actively ignore any thread regarding RDM melee.
    (1)

Character
    Lilia
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    If it's a spell for TP, it would be both simple and elegant to merely give us Regain. It doesn't have to be Embrava-level craziness, but something similar to Regen or Refresh.

Though personally, I don't think it'd be a crime to get an Auto-Regain trait, maybe around level 40.
    SE answer 99%
    Dotsspells for SCH, and sch have regain- RDM NEEEEEEVER BECOME T.T
    (0)

RDM isn't 50/50 magic/melee... it's more like 75/25 magic/melee and it's been that way in pretty much every FF that has a Red Mage.
    (1)

Except in XI it's not even 75/25, it's closer to 90/10.

If it were really 75/25, there'd be a lot more serious comparisons with BLU or PLD.
    (1)

Dunno, I tank stuff a lot, and I melee while I do it.
    (0)

Every class can melee at one level or another, but the point here is how well the class is prepared around it.

Typical melee classes get high physical stats and skills, a plethora of physically Abilities and Traits, a broad array of Weapon Skills, and broad melee gear access. A good example here would be Warrior.

A hybrid class would exhibit middling stats and skills, a few key Traits and Abilities, fewer (but key) Weapon Skills, the same for weapon and gear access. Examples include PLD, DRK, and BLU.

Then there's RDM. Sub-prime stats and skills, no physical Traits, only one Ability (introduced only in the last few years), the least desirable of the available Weapon Skills, and until the cap raise, scant options among weapons and gear.

I tank a lot of stuff and melee too (in fact, I melee almost exclusively--I haven't specifically backlined in years), but there's no ignoring the fact that melee was poorly implemented on this particular job compared to previous incarnations.
    (5)
    Last edited by Sunrider; 08-04-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    By level 99 I think RDM should have DW2, Attack Bonus 2, Accuracy Bonus 2~3, with that we should be ok, Brave & Faith should be high end level spells where our abilities become a choice, one or the other. Up until then it should be periodic trait levels between what I listed. And please, don't do what was done with THF with RDM's DW, I think that was a little stupid. The job has no Dual Wield until 83, at which point it finally gets tier 1, but tier 2 is only 7 levels later, and following that is tier 3 only another 8 levels after.
    We have composure and enspell damage to make up for our B instead of A in melee skill. Temper is very powerful. Get an Excalibur and melt things. We are in a decent place for DD right now, but you have to work for it. The only thing everyone should be aware of on the RDM forums is that there are no free rides on RDM. Gear up or go play a job that naturally does it better. You get the benefit of being way tougher than most jobs. You don't get the benefit of being particularly great at anything, but you can be good at multiple things at the same time if you have good gear and macros.

The biggest problem RDM has is that it doesn't use a 2H weapon like real DDs do. Anyone that Dual Wields swords will most likely never catch up to a 2H DD. That is just the way the game is programmed. This isn't a RDM issue, this is a Dual Wield vs 2H issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooj View Post
    RDM isn't 50/50 magic/melee... it's more like 75/25 magic/melee and it's been that way in pretty much every FF that has a Red Mage.
    Depends on which one. FF1 my RDM uses an Excalibur and beats things to death, casts magic when appropriate, and doesn't squander his spell pools on unimportant things because he can just melee them down. 10 FFs later, my RDM does similar things...

Gear, gear, and more gear. That's what the RDM game has always been about. We have the pimp hat as a heads up that we need to pimp out our gear.

I only only have a couple real gripes:
    • Enspell 1s override Excalibur procs, Enspell 2s don't. The only time Enspell 2s are actually superior to Enspell 1s at all. Enspell 2s need to not suck anymore and need to deal a lot more damage.
    • Almace + BLU = ODD on physical spells and they get gear to actually use CDC well. RDM gets crickets.
    • CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN FENCER, IDIOTS!
    • No Occult Accumen and SCH gets Immanence. Share.

You address the first and last bullet point well and we are in it to win it. Figure out how to make Enspell 2s much better than Enspell 1s and give us OA and Immanence and I will be very happy for a long time.
    (4)
    Last edited by ManaKing; 08-04-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaKing View Post
    Get an Excalibur and melt things.
    I'm trying ;; I'm only about 45 Silvers away.
    Enspell 1s override Excalibur procs.
    Eww... guess its better to learn now than later but that still sucks. They need to just make Enspells stack with other additional effects, be it Samba, Excalibur, or anything like them.
    (0)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    It will never stack, it will always prefer one or the other. The best case is your enspell to be lower preference than anything you want to actually go off. *Looks at Excalibur and Ephemeron*
    (1)
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast