Thread: Shield Strikes

Character
    Chuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Shield Strikes

Hello fellow paladins! Its time I weigh in on a very rough subject. And this is one of many solutions that might actually work when it comes to gaining emnity and holding hate as a PLD. So hear me out and then shoot it down when ready. Here......... we............ GO!

Shield Strikes a very simple idea. It would be a job ability that causes the paladin to use the shield as a weapon during combat. The way I would invision it to work is much like the MNK job trait "Kick Attacks" in which the paladin at the end of a combat round would make one last attack with the shield. This should do some damage and would help to offset the fact that shear volume of attacks can help gain emnity fast and also maintain hate against those who also make multiple attacks during each combat round. The theory is very similar to how a ninja tanks. Fast attack spam. Real simple.

Of course I leave the details to the development team (which i hope they seriously consider this.) BUT I do have some ideas of how I would like to see it function.

A: This attack should be made often. If not every combat round. I am talking 50-100% chance to occur.

B: This attack should generate NO TP nor be allowed to stun the enemy like Shield Bash. There, balanced for the sake of balance.

C: Accuracy and damage should be calcuated off the Shield Skill. Maybe even through in shield type for the DMG base. Or make it a hidden stat amongst all shields to have a DMG base to figure how damage.

D: If possible, enhance the emnity gained from this attack. Thats right, maybe 1/4 Shield Bash emnity gained every time this ability manages to strike.

Thats pretty much it. The idea is simple, allow extra attacks to paladin to compete with jobs that already get plenty of extra attacks in. Fight that fire with fire.

Weigh in guys! Please respond and post with what you think! Just keep it civil please because this could be something quite good for Paladin, the really forgotten job.

Thanks for reading!
    ~Chuk
    (2)

Character
    Nanofox
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I like this idea i do find as a Main pld myself it would be nice to be able get a few more atks off though i can honstly see the dev's calling the imfamous Balance Card again probobly saying it would make Pld OP.
    (0)
    I came.. I saw.. & I definitly Broke sumthing!!

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The devs could just animate more varied auto attacks and incorporate the shield into those animations without actually changing how the job puts out damage. That way, you all get to look cool and the only people who will have a problem with it are the ones who hate the job and the guy who does animation at the FFXI office.
    (0)

A good idea, but 50-100% sounds a bit too often.

Maybe a base rate of 25%, but have some gear (and shields, but who would use anything but Oegischain anyway?) that would boost the proc rate to up to 50% without having to sacrifice a significant amount of other stats.

Damage dealt could be based on shield def rating and type. I agree that enmity gain should be boosted from the shield strikes. I wouldn't say it would be too much if the shield strikes actually did have a slight chance to stun the enemy. With up to a 50% proc rate of the shield attack though, I wouldn't want to give it more than a 5% chance of stunning.

The amount of enmity gained from the shield strike could be perhaps the same amount as you dealt with the sword in the same attack round, plus 50%. So if you were using an almace and got a double-attack critical with aftermath proc, a following shield strike would generate enmity similar to I dunno, 2000 damage? Naturally, this wouldn't be happening all the time. The chance of all those things happening in one attack round would be pretty low.

How about the shield strike rate would get a significant boost during Invincible, to make it easier to keep hate after using it. Perhaps 75%+ proc rate would be fine here.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 08-15-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    id say make it a base 25% rate increased by shield type, make the damage work based off of the shield type and the defense it grants.

Type 1 - +15% proc rate, Base damage = Def
    Type 2, +10% proc rate, base damage = Def*1.1
    Type 3 +5% Proc rate, base damage = def*1.2
    Type 4 +0% Proc rate, Base damage = Def*1.3
    Type A - +25% proc rate, Base damage = def*1.5
    Type O - +50% Proc rate, Base damage = Def*1.25
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    types for those who dont know:
    Type1 buckler
    Type2, Medium
    type3, Kite
    Type4,Tower shield
    TypeA, Aegis
    TypeO, Ochain
    (0)

As if aegis and ochain aren't strong enough already, you mean?
    (1)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    lol i realy like this idea, and yea aegis and ochain would obviously be the strongest with it lol
    (0)

Well what I mean is that because they are so strong already, they don't need to further increase the gap in power with this ability. I think the base rate should probably be around 25% for all shield types.
    (3)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    further increase the gap? you say that like people are allowed to come endgame events on paladin without an ochain or aegis >_ >
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast