Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
    Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Nah, even then Eyeballed has the right to voice a concern over changes. Just like we have the right to disagree with that opinion.
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    ^_________________________________________________________________^

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Eyeballed, do you think that voice that said that the game was too slow was just one? For the developer to take it into account, I would assume it was most of his paycheck complaining.

There are becoming a good handful of you "old-schoolers" out there yes. But not enough to flip the coin back onto your side. And when people tell you to go and play another game, it's really them trying to look out for your happiness.

The game no longer makes you happy...so why still give your hard-earned money to it? Even if it was suddenly reverted back, everything will not be as it was back in 2006. The world doesn't work that way, I wish some things could revert back.
    (0)

Character
    Eyeballed
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Komori View Post
    Eyeballed, do you think that voice that said that the game was too slow was just one? For the developer to take it into account, I would assume it was most of his paycheck complaining.

There are becoming a good handful of you "old-schoolers" out there yes. But not enough to flip the coin back onto your side. And when people tell you to go and play another game, it's really them trying to look out for your happiness.

The game no longer makes you happy...so why still give your hard-earned money to it? Even if it was suddenly reverted back, everything will not be as it was back in 2006. The world doesn't work that way, I wish some things could revert back.
    I appreciate your honesty. And, trust that I'm hardly the only one who wants it back. Either side may or may not be the majority, but who's really to say? There's certainly not enough on my side where this game's concerned, but for the game (FFXIV) I graduated to, there seems to be plenty. See here.
    (0)

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Perhaps on that game, but that's for another game entirely. They're yelling for FFXIV to go that route, not FFXI. FFXI has been through it and changed; they would lose what money they have slingshotting backwards.

But with FFXIV being a totally new game still somewhat in development, they could perhaps work something out over there. But the "hardcores" who want things slow and steady have always been minority. They're typically people with nothing else in life better to do. And so of course they want a game that can't be won over in the matter of a few months and then they're bored again.
    (0)

Player
    Why are people still posting in this thread?
    (1)

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeballed View Post
    As far as "NIN spells are unnecessary", I can tell you that's not true, either. I did use shuriken from Lv19 onward, all of my debuffs and the full wheel on my way up. Doing so, I could tank without a THF in party. Yeah, it was expensive, but if you can't afford to do it right then don't do it.
    Shurikens and the Wheel (except for a brief stint between 40 and 60, after you get Ni nukes and before you get Jin) are a DPS loss unless your 60-75 melee gear is really lacking. The fact you wasted your parties' time by casting Ichi nukes to try to stay capped is their business, but you still wasted it. Kura/Hojo/Jubaku are fine, but they won't cap you alone.

You seriously doubt? Speaks volumes to me.
    Yes, I seriously doubt. Maybe he would have run into a prissy bitch or two along the way doing classic XP, but what are they going to do? Kick the only tank within five levels?

Honestly, how can a person in his or her 30s want to go back to the multi-hour commitment a non-endgame-event FFXI session used to entail? I could never see myself doing that again after acquiring a real job and a wife.
    (2)
    Last edited by scaevola; 08-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

Character
    Eyeballed
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
    Shurikens and the Wheel (except for a brief stint between 40 and 60, after you get Ni nukes and before you get Jin) are a DPS loss unless your 60-75 melee gear is really lacking. The fact you wasted your parties' time by casting Ichi nukes to try to stay capped is their business, but you still wasted it. Kura/Hojo/Jubaku are fine, but they won't cap you alone.

Honestly, how can a person in his or her 30s want to go back to the multi-hour commitment a non-endgame-event FFXI session used to entail? I could never see myself doing that again after acquiring a real job and a wife.
    20 levels is not a "brief stint". It might be by today's pace, but certainly not back then. My wife and I play this game together, and she is far from what anyone would define as 'hardcore' and has voiced opinions on the subject that are not dissimilar from my own.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeballed View Post
    I'm not saying your dilemma is imaginary, but I've never encountered this problem of "not being able to play with my friends". I assume you're talking about your real life friends?
    Well real life friends as well as in game friends. People in general starting fresh on the game who know no one could be left out because they are at the start of the game. In this game in particular it used to be hard to get much of anywhere quickly due to how long it took. So a new player could be stuck for months doing something like soloing, even though the original reason for getting on the game was to play with other people, be it friends or strangers. The game has changed that so that now you can catch up relatively fast rather than the old way of taking months.

But as a real life example I have a friend Miller I have wanted to get on this game for some time. I have actually left my SMN at lv1 for this exact reason, I wish to have something to level with him and show him around if he does get the game. My problem used to be that if he ever actually got on the game that he would be so far behind me that it would become boring for us both and he would quit. Now I don't have this problem, only now you can not find the game on 360 which his only option. The point being that before him getting on the game was a problem because he would be far behind me, and now he can be up in the 90s in a matter of a week or 2 with me to show him around.
    (1)

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    It's pretty brief. That's what, Crawler's Nest, Beetles in Altepa, Garlaige Basement, then ToAU?

I mean, I hate to break it to you, but partying was essentially dead long before Abyssea or even Fields of Valor were introduced. Once Campaign provided a way for high-level players to get some extremely modest XP on their own, people were willing to accept anywhere from a quarter to a third of the XP they knew they'd get in a party to avoid dealing with the sort of attitude that moves you to post in this thread. They were happy to solo before that, thanks to Signet defense/eva in 2005-6.

I don't think your opinion is totally without merit but i have been here every step of the way, man, and I'm telling you virtually nobody wants it (though some people think they do, having forgotten 2008).
    (4)
    Last edited by scaevola; 08-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

Character
    Eyeballed
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
    It's pretty brief. That's what, Crawler's Nest, Beetles in Altepa, Garlaige Basement, then ToAU?

I mean, I hate to break it to you, but partying was essentially dead long before Abyssea or even Fields of Valor were introduced. Once Campaign provided a way for high-level players to get some extremely modest XP on their own, people were willing to accept anywhere from a quarter to a third of the XP they knew they'd get in a party to avoid dealing with the sort of attitude that moves you to post in this thread. The were happy to solo before that, thanks to Signet defense/eva in 2005-6.

I don't think your opinion is totally without merit but i have been here every step of the way, man, and I'm telling you virtually nobody wants it (though some people think they do, having forgotten 2008).
    Who are you? And who elected you spokesman for the entire FFXI community, past and present? And even then, you go even farther by suggesting you know what other people want despite their opposing views. Really?
    (0)
    Last edited by Eyeballed; 08-07-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast