Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Shaper's Shawl - Why?

Shaper's Shawl Rare Ex
    [Back] All Races
    DEF:1 Increases synthesis skill gain rate
    LV 1 All Jobs

I'm curious to know what you where thinking when you created this item. More specifically, how to acquire it.

First real synthesis skill+ equip, and you make it obtainable from the only 'craft' in the game that does not use actual synthesis... 0.o
    (3)

Player
    Why?
    Because SE loves awful game design, that's why.
    (10)
    Last edited by cidbahamut; 08-02-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: was missing a letter

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Godofgods View Post
    Shaper's Shawl Rare Ex
    [Back] All Races
    DEF:1 Increases synthesis skill gain rate
    LV 1 All Jobs

I'm curious to know what you where thinking when you created this item. More specifically, how to acquire it.

First real synthesis skill+ equip, and you make it obtainable from the only 'craft' in the game that does not use actual synthesis... 0.o
    So? It appears to me you totally overlooked the fact that SE added a real synthesis skill gain rate item in the first place...
    Who cares it's found by high level fishing.

I'd be more upset if it required 110 goldsmithing. I can level fishing, but with my woodworking near-cap I can't level goldsmithing that high. (The shawl would require 70 clothcrafting to make, but a lvl 110 goldsmithing recipe to craft the 'pearl' gutted from the fish into a brooch or something.)

And it doesn't even matter much either.. crafting is mostly dead barring a few consumables.. It's just a requirement for synergy now.
    (1)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    That's the thing though, it isn't found by high level fishing, it's found by Ebisu fishing and using obnoxiously difficult to obtain exclusive bait. The item in question is also R/E so it's not like you can just let other people fish it up and then buy it off the AH.

Seriously, do a modicum of research before you casually brush aside legitimate concerns people bring up.
    (13)

Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Crafters like me that hate fishing.
    (4)

It's not even the Ebisu part that is a problem. Ebsiu and fishing is easy, lots of people have them and do it. The problem comes from the fact that Matsuya are overly obnoxious to catch. If you spend all day with your Ebisu catching fish to hand in for bait to catch Matsuya with, then the next day go fish Matsuya, you'll catch maybe 5 of them. So you lose 2 days of fishing, which would of netted you between 3 and 9 mil very easily, for somewhere between 5 and 10 of the fish that the cape comes from. If Matsuya don't sell for 1mil+ each, no one will catch them, unless they themselves want the cape.

Fishing is already the easiest craft to make gil with, adding a new high profile fish is perfectly fine with me (since it doesn't require minnows or sinking minnows.) But lets be honest, no one is going to bother with this fish unless it nets more income than what fishers are already making, since its such a giant pain in the butt compared to the current fish you can catch for way less effort. This is the real problem, the fact that for fishers to break even you're going to have to pay 1m+ per fish, and the item is probably 1% drop rate, if that.

If anyone on Odin wants some Matsuya, feel free to send me a tell. Just know I won't be catching them unless I have a buyer lined up for every fish I pull out of the water before I pull them up, and I'm sure most other fishers feel the same way.
    (3)

http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    That's the thing though, it isn't found by high level fishing, it's found by Ebisu fishing and using obnoxiously difficult to obtain exclusive bait. The item in question is also R/E so it's not like you can just let other people fish it up and then buy it off the AH.

Seriously, do a modicum of research before you casually brush aside legitimate concerns people bring up.
    I know what is needed for it.
    I know it's the holy grail (relic) of crafting and therefore should not be available for 50 gil at the nearest fruit stand.
    I know it's not an item I will get in any forseeable future, unless skill up fishing and I finish that lushang already.
    I know that I'll have all my crafts capped long before I obtain this, and it will be a worthless piece of -1 inventory then.

If anything, I'm disappointed that it doesn't (seem to) boost crafting. No +skill, no -fail, no +hq chance.

How would YOU have made this shawl available?
    (0)

Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    How would YOU have made this shawl available?
    Since its a crafting skill+ piece, how about..... crafting? 0.0

Or even an nm thats only pop-able through a special crafted items.
    Heck id rather race my two legs versus a chocobo rather then fishing...
    (3)

Player
    This should have been a GPs item. Oh look, that was hard.

Honestly, I imagine the only reason its fishing is because the devs took a look at the census data and went "People don't have 110 crafting yet, but they have 110 fishing", and that was all the broken logic they needed to do this.

On the plus side at least this is a Lv.1 item, so you don't need to level your mules to 70 just to equip it like those (still incomplete) crafting torques they added.
    (3)

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Godofgods View Post
    Since its a crafting skill+ piece, how about..... crafting? 0.0

Or even an nm thats only pop-able through a special crafted items.
    Heck id rather race my two legs versus a chocobo rather then fishing...
    It can't be synthesized because then the other crafts are f'ed and forced to pay a fortune.
    And what do NMs have to do with crafting?
    (0)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast