Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chatoyant staff

Player

Chatoyant staff

Anyone else think this could be the new main weapon for SCH? I'd say the staff is 100% worthless for BLM, potentially great for SCH and something I'll never make because it's Synergy and I can't sign Synergy items so screw you SE.

Obviously it lags very far behind Trials weapons in pure damage, +15% against +35% iirc, but the new Iridescence effect apparently provides an additional 10% to weather effects, effectively bringing the staff up to a permanent +25% for SCH (it is way to hot for me to both with exact maths here so shup). That's still 10% behind Trials weapons, but without the need to change weapons we have a valid TP source through Occult Acumen (and Adloquium/Embrava) which can be put towards Shattersoul, which provides a -10 magic defense effect on your target (I have no idea if this is 100% effective or not, if it isn't then this whole thread is kinda pointless), which effectively plays out as a +10% magic damage for everyone involved.

Now, if you already have someone applying Shattersoul in events this staff is never going to be as good as Trials weapons, and applying weather and WSing frequently is going to cause you to take a hit in DoT, but if you're bringing an additional 10% magic damage for every BLM in the party by doing this then I think you'll have more than made up for that loss in DoT. Highly doubtful but you could also maybe throw in a use for Immanence here as well, Shattersoul > Thunder V should be a Lv1 skillchain iirc.

Honestly, someone tell me Shattersoul is trash and that this idea is stupid, I really don't want to log in after months just to play around with this concept, even though this is exactly the kind of thing I love on SCH.
    (0)

Player
    I'm not sure if it's possible for SCH but if the SCH can get 40% cure potency in armor (excluding staff and waist (for obi) and possibly back for shinryu cape) then they could push this to be the best curing weapon. 40% cure potency in gear + 10% from staff + aurorastorm w/ obi bonus + iridescence 10% can make a SCH raise their cure potency (essentially) over 60%. I still have to look and see if they can get the potency required. Inside Abyssea is easier with cure potency atma's.

Nuking, I'd say there may be more benefit in things like Dynamis where MP can run low in a small group. If you're nuking it frees up Spirit Taker for a bit of MP recovery when convert is down. For abyssea, if you use atma that gives affinity+ (like Atma of the Beyond) then this will outperform the magian staves. Magian staves affinity is additive to the atma's affinity whereas the elemental staves bonus is multiplicative and comes out on top (though not by drastic numbers).

Haven't even seen Shattersoul used on Sylph... so can't comment on that but would be a nifty idea if it works as good as it sounds on paper!
    (0)

Character
    Danntay
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I Believe the only way sch would be able to get 50% while using Chatoyant Staff is with Iaso Mitra and nares trews or iaso boots. However in abyssea as you said there are atmas to help and in VW there is a 15% cure pot atmacite.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dantedmc; 07-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    OK check my math guys!

I believe SCH can get 42% potency outside of weather and no weapon/sub:

Iaso Mitra : 11%
    Heka's Kalasiris : 15%
    Nares Trews: 7%
    Serpentes Cuffs and Sabots: 5%
    Phalaina Locket: 4%

With these, Korin Obi, Twilight cape and Chatoyant we'd have:

1.42 x 1.25 = 1.775
    EDIT
    I missed the 10% on Chatoyant itself (Thanks Khiinroye!)

With armor and Arka IV capped at 50% gear potency, Korin Obi, Twilight Cape we'd have:

1.5 x 1.15 = 1.725

Even if I missed a piece, the new staff with the best potency gear available beats Arka IV with weather up. The downside for me is it requires 3 pieces of gear I don't plan on having any time soon.

For nuking, are we sure the new staff works like old HQ staves for magic damage, or if they use affinity like magian staves? The rep post said this but I thought people were finding Abyssea numbers suggested this was working like magian, so additive to atma bonus. That was just one observation I read though. Wiki actually says the effect is equivalent to magian staff with +2 affinity, but lolWikiAccuracyAfterOneDay.

In any case, iirc elemental staves don't actually beat magian staves with atma, they just get a better return on the same tier. So +2 magic affinity from a magian staff would give less damage than the HQ elemental, but the +6 magian affinity beats the HQ elemental staff:

Ice with Beyond (Staff bonus x ice magic damage bonus)

HQ elemental: 1.15 x 1.3 = 1.495
    Magian final +6 affinity: 1.35 + 0.3 = 1.65 (Beats HQ elemental on final magian)
    Magian +2 affinity: 1.15 + 0.3 = 1.45 (Beaten by HQ elemental of the same tier)

I left out the MAB effect of beyond on all elements + gear, trait MAB and weather multiplier because they're the same and treated the same in all three cases. Like Sotek said though, we'd end up with this on Chatoyant due to Iridescence (Staff bonus, ice damage bonus, weather bonus):

Chatoyant: 1.15 x 1.3 x 1.25= 1.87
    Magian final: (1.35 + 0.3) x 1.15 = 1.90

Unless Chatoyant works like magian staves:
    (1.15 + .3) x 1.25 = 1.81

Either way Chatoyant is lower than magian final weapons, without the casting time bonus. So it would come down to whether Shattersoul makes up the difference for what you're doing. The one thing that bothers me about playing SCH vs BLM is elemental magic casting time so I might miss that 14% on magian. But, I do like the idea of possibly factoring TP use and Shattersoul to overall damage numbers. All I can really do is make the staff and try it. There are too many factors to me without more experience and info. For example, other boards are reporting Chatoyant is augmentable via FoV. So far I've just seen elemental damage resistance but if MAB is possible... Though I'm not inclined to repeatedly spend 8M+ at the moment to spam augments!

EDIT: Fixed some numbers
    (0)
    Last edited by Merton9999; 07-25-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Player
    Ah, the testing I had read made it sound as though it was affinity overall not of the same tier.

Glad to see that ugly magian staff can be replaced when it comes to cures though. Gives me a goal to work towards I suppose!
    (0)

Character
    Khiinroye
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    @Merton9999 You didn't include the 10% cure potency on Chatoyant staff. With both nares and iaso, you can have 50% with chatoyant staff, iaso head, heka's, augur's gloves, phalaina locket, and nares trews. NQ on the iaso requires a 2% cure potency augment on zenith pumps to get 50%, or serpentes set instead of augur's / zenith to get 49%.

Chatoyant staff, heka's, phalaina locket, augur's hands, Tatsumaki Sitagoromo with 5% cure potency augment, augmented zenith pumps for 3% , and selenian cap for 3% yields 44% without nares or iaso.

Without zenith pumps or selenian cap, you're at 38% (or 39% with serpentes set instead of augur's). 38% with chatoyant staff and weather ties with 50% and weather with Arka IV, assuming twilight cape. Without twilight cape, you gain access to another 4% with oretania's cape, and only need 37.5% potency to tie.

Chatoyant's damage works like maigan staves, so it is 1.81 vs 1.9 for the ice damage in abyssea calc.
    (3)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiinroye View Post
    @Merton9999 You didn't include the 10% cure potency on Chatoyant staff. With both nares and iaso, you can have 50% with chatoyant staff, iaso head, heka's, augur's gloves, phalaina locket, and nares trews. NQ on the iaso requires a 2% cure potency augment on zenith pumps to get 50%, or serpentes set instead of augur's / zenith to get 49%.

Chatoyant staff, heka's, phalaina locket, augur's hands, Tatsumaki Sitagoromo with 5% cure potency augment, augmented zenith pumps for 3% , and selenian cap for 3% yields 44% without nares or iaso.

Without zenith pumps or selenian cap, you're at 38% (or 39% with serpentes set instead of augur's). 38% with chatoyant staff and weather ties with 50% and weather with Arka IV, assuming twilight cape. Without twilight cape, you gain access to another 4% with oretania's cape, and only need 37.5% potency to tie.

Chatoyant's damage works like maigan staves, so it is 1.81 vs 1.9 for the ice damage in abyssea calc.
    Ah nice thanks for that. Silly omission! So it is much easier for Chatoyant to beat Arka IV then.
    (0)

Character
    Danntay
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Update: Went to abyssea la theine to test

atmas:
    rescuer: 10% cure pot
    harmony: 10% cure pot (Really gave me 1%, however I was missing phalania locket to cap w/o. Replace this with minikin)
    allure: 30mnd -30enm

Stats:
    mnd: 199
    vit: 115
    healing skill: 454 ( I have healing magic merits)
    cure pot: 50

Arka IV:
    cure IV: 1018
    rapture Cure IV: 1624

Chatoyant:
    Cure IV: 1102
    rapture Cure IV: 1760
    (1)

Player
    Were you wearing korin obi and twilight cape with aurorastorm up? I'm assuming so, just want to clarify
    (0)

Character
    Scotchio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 98
    Hello,

I have all the +1 elemental staffs. How do I use them to make the Chatoyant staff?

Thanks.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast