Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The new icons look like an ugly mess to me. I realize they're meant to be larger for the new macro palette but I wish they had left them for that instead of putting them in the spell and abilities lists.

Before VW this wouldn't have posed a functional problem because I used macros for nearly every spell. For proc spells I didn't have macrod for VW, I got used to using the color group like a database index. So, it wasn't really necessary to read the whole spell name because I could get quickly to the right page by jumping to the color. Then if I wanted Thundaga II I just looked for the II with the widest text in the thunder color. Now on the way to the purple spells there is the annoying purple Warp, and the purple on the Thunder spells is not nearly as easy to distinguish as it used to be.

I changed to typing my proc spells now because the new icons are so annoying. I'm fine with typing spells if I have to, but the quick color search was faster for me. Generally I'd support purely visual changes, if they looked good and didn't pose any functional problems. To me the new icons don't fit either.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    The new icons look like an ugly mess to me. I realize they're meant to be larger for the new macro palette but I wish they had left them for that instead of putting them in the spell and abilities lists.

Before VW this wouldn't have posed a functional problem because I used macros for nearly every spell. For proc spells I didn't have macrod for VW, I got used to using the color group like a database index. So, it wasn't really necessary to read the whole spell name because I could get quickly to the right page by jumping to the color. Then if I wanted Thundaga II I just looked for the II with the widest text in the thunder color. Now on the way to the purple spells there is the annoying purple Warp, and the purple on the Thunder spells is not nearly as easy to distinguish as it used to be.

I changed to typing my proc spells now because the new icons are so annoying. I'm fine with typing spells if I have to, but the quick color search was faster for me. Generally I'd support purely visual changes, if they looked good and didn't pose any functional problems. To me the new icons don't fit either.
    From the look of the new UI the icons wont be used in the magic list anyway.
    (0)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    actually the new icons do have a theme to them in the background but its hard to see that small, when they are in your macro bars it would be different i imagine. all white magic has a circle inthe background like it did previously, and black magic still has the eye. but like i said hard to see that small

Hmm wish i knew how to spoiler these... if we even are able to.

I agree with OMEGA_HACK tho about passive traits... i never understood why they didnt have a Tier number behind them. or why do they not have the tier number (or an entry for each tier) but TH does. the TH all have the same description dont they?

Just curious tho did anyone make these complaints while it was on the test server? or only since it went live? If not the test server this is a good example of why people should utilize it.
    (0)

Player
    Inefficient and hard to read:

Clear and instantly recognizable:

Why didn't you guys just make spell icons like this in the first place? Not only are they better than the current icons, they're better than the old icons too! Instead of showing a colored box, they show the same icon which matches the icon of the status bar for complete clarity for any seasoned player. Just implement these, it'll be totally uniform and awesome. Notice the icons are commensurate in style with the status bar icons for ease and recognizability. I know you guys want to push using the new ones since the developers probably allocated time and resources into drawing them, but they're way less convenient than the alternatives I posted above.
    (8)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 07-28-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    actually the new icons do have a theme to them in the background but its hard to see that small, when they are in your macro bars it would be different i imagine. all white magic has a circle inthe background like it did previously, and black magic still has the eye. but like i said hard to see that small
    white magic had a star in the background before, not a circle. and even in the gigiantic versions of the icons you posted, i can't see the eye in the background of black magic spells nor can i see a star in the background of white magic. i tried really hard to see it too...
    (0)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I dunno when ever i looked at whitemagic in the past it was a circle, i saw no star (doesnt mean it wasnt there). I see the eye plain as day in the big pic up there in at least 10 of the icons. But again its hard to see in the smaller icons still. It might be like those magic eye posters back in the 90s where u had to cross your eye to see a picture. i never could see them pretty much most the time.

I like Ophanus's pic there. Thoug im more concerned about the buff icons at the top or our screens more than menus and junk. I jsut want HD versions of those WITH VARIATION so we can tell what every single buff and debuff is at a glance.
    (1)

Character
    Kitheren
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback on the new magic icons. We have noted your concerns and we are looking into ways to make it easier to distinguish specific spells. Once we have determined the direction we would like to take, we'll be sure to provide you with an update.

In the mean time, we are more than glad to receive more feedback.
    For me, I just don't have the space to macro in a bunch of spells so certain, less used ones are left out of macros (here's looking at you, Viruna!). But when I do actually need them I generally just scroll through the list and know the sequence of colored spheres and where the spell I'm looking for is.

So many of them are similar that I have to actually read the whole spell name out to find what I'm looking for and if I'm scrolling too fast I will miss it, causing problems for my party. After all these years of having the icons the same it's a little hard to get used to new ones that are so similar. They are pretty and a lot of detail was put into them but most people aren't going to be able to appreciate the details or are like me and are having a harder time adjusting.

The other day I was looking for haste because I didn't want to use my haste macro and kept flying over it because Haste used to be red and now it's..green? ^^;
    (0)
    Kitheren of Valefor
    Married to Valkarie
    ~*Thank you everyone who helped me with my Mjollnir!*~

Character
    Kitheren
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Inefficient and hard to read:

Clear and instantly recognizable:
    Now these I like. While they still pose the same problem of adjusting to something new I do believe the adjustment will feel more like moving back to something familiar because the icons are the same as our status icons. Honestly, it never made much sense to me that they look one way in the spell list and another on my status bar.
    (1)
    Kitheren of Valefor
    Married to Valkarie
    ~*Thank you everyone who helped me with my Mjollnir!*~

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I never remember Haste being red. And I'm not really keen on the new icons myself but after a week or so I'm kind of used to it. But I have any important spells macro'd.
    (0)

Good morning!

We have been receiving a ton of feedback on the new icons and we will be taking them into consideration moving forward as we make our UI revamps. Speaking of which, we will be continuing to add new elements such as clickable portions of the new UI, addressing the status icons, and other things, so we will we will definitely be looking into how each of them look. With that said, we imagine that addressing all of these things will take quite a bit of time.

We understand that it might be somewhat strange to only change the icons on the list first and originally it was preferred to change everything at once; however, since the amount of things to do for the new UI revamp is extremely lengthy, we will be adding and addressing portions in phases.

Look forward to all the awesome UI revamps that are coming, as we feel you will really enjoy them. We can’t wait to hear your feedback.
    (14)

Okipuit - Community Team

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast