Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Pikachuninetail
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Scholar Has lost it's ability to be useful, please fix this.

As stated in many previous threads Scholar has a few abilities that have no use what-so-ever in abby.

The first being: Modus Veritas, This ability used to be the scholars "secret weapon" so-to-speak. It allowed them to deal major DOT damage with merits. Now 99% of monsters are immune to this ability in abby. This renders any merits wasted and the ability itself useless.

Suggested Fix: Remove the immunity to this ability from monsters in abby.

Second: Libra, This ability seemed useful at first but overtime it turned out to be absolutely useless. The most use any player could possibly get out of this ability is to know how much hate they have so they know not to cast and any player with common sense knows when not to cast in a party anyways.

Suggested Fix: Alter this ability so that it also allows the user to see the foe's current HP, MP, Elemental weakness(if any), and current TP.

Three: Stormsurge, Useless in comparison to the whm counterpart spells that can use used on demand and do not require accession to cast thus rendering the job trait a waste of merits for anyone who has put them in before this update was put in.

Suggested fix: Alter the ability which puts them at least just under par with the whm counterpart instead of trailing behind by about 20 points worth.

Spells: Embrava and Kaustra, Extremely powerful, almost over powered, the biggest issue with this however is they are only useful when under sch two hour effect, thus they are useful for about 2-3mins and then are absolutely useless for two hours.

Suggested Fix: They need to be accessible outside of two hour ability and nerfed.

Scholar used to be able to heal and nuke just under par or on par with their blm and whm counterparts, ever since the new tier spells and abilities have been introduced, they pale in comparison to the two now. Scholar is no longer seen as a alternative nuker or healer anymore.

Suggested Fix: Give Scholar access to Cure V at the very least along with a Stratagem that allows them to enhance the use of their next status debuff removing spells(under light arts) and add a Stratagem that allows them to lower enmity against them(under dark arts) These Stratagems would be of course weaker versions then their whm and blm counter parts but non-the-less these modifications would allow sch to be seen as a useful alternative to whm or blm again.
    (2)

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Are you serious? A job that's required in one endgame event and can solo almost everything else is no longer useful just because you can't do it all?
    (35)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Don't talk such nonsense.
    (3)

Character
    Volarione
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 91
    I call bs embrava rocks the only reason it rocks so much is because its a 2hour dont talk nonsense
    (5)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Modus Veritas: OK
    Libra: OK
    Stormsurge: GTFO, been discussed and disproven.
    Kaustra/Embrava: GTFO, how dare you even sugguest nerfing such an ability!
    Tiers: Cure V - Meh, but Cure IV has been boosted as well as we have Regen IV and V.
    Nuke V - GTFO - We currently have the highest tier nukes available, plus helix's. With the right set up we are right along with if not better than a standard BLM
    (13)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Pikachuninetail
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    Modus Veritas: OK
    Libra: OK
    Stormsurge: GTFO, been discussed and disproven.
    Kaustra/Embrava: GTFO, how dare you even sugguest nerfing such an ability!
    Tiers: Cure V - Meh, but Cure IV has been boosted as well as we have Regen IV and V.
    Nuke V - GTFO - We currently have the highest tier nukes available, plus helix's. With the right set up we are right along with if not better than a standard BLM
    As much as I'd love to agree with you on most of what you said, we pale in comparison to blm and whm do to their OP spells and abilities. granted these are only suggested fixes. the fact remains is that sch needs to be fixed. people will refuse to take a sch these days and grab a whm or blm instead. I've sat in several different parties before waiting for them to find a last member(usually a healer or nuker) and when i suggested a sch 9/10 times i suggested these i got replies of "lolsch no,thanks" and even one of the Scholar's i suggested has +2 emp armor for thier scholar.

This is what prompted me to make this post.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    As much as I'd love to agree with you on most of what you said, we pale in comparison to blm and whm do to their OP spells and abilities. granted these are only suggested fixes. the fact remains is that sch needs to be fixed. people will refuse to take a sch these days and grab a whm or blm instead. I've sat in several different parties before waiting for them to find a last member(usually a healer or nuker) and when i suggested a sch 9/10 times i suggested these i got replies of "lolsch no,thanks" and even one of the Scholar's i suggested has +2 emp armor for thier scholar.

This is what prompted me to make this post.
    Then your linkshell/party are stupid, still doesn't make SCH broken.
    (15)

Player
    Modus Veritas: It used to be way OP. You could kill a UFO in Sea in 1 tick if you had a party of scholars use it at the same time. While the miss-rate or downright immunity is annoying, I would hate to see NMs fall so easily on the regular. Abyssea is easy enough as it is.

Libra: Agreed, certainly could use HP/MP/TP/Weakness information. I'd even go as far as to say debuff resistances or even display which debuffs are on it currently. Buffs too! It does have some uses though, being a proc in VW as well as on light-armor dyna mobs.

Stormsurge: Don't really need to AoE them. I generally ask each DD or just observe which weaponskill they prefer to use and then cast the appropriate storm on them. While a Resolution WAR in the party may benefit from STR, an Upheaval WAR would make more use out of the VIT. The +Stat should be related to enhancing magic though. This also does stack with WHM's Boost-spells if I recall.

2 Hour Spells: They should be left as is. They were recently given to SCH as an answer to a fairly weak 2 hour.

I main heal on SCH without a problem. Outside of Abyssea my Cure IV (with ~47% cure potency) will generally cure a little over half the max HP of most people. Inside Abyssea a Rapture'd Cure IV will heal more than a Cure V. Just gear for enmity if you have trouble with it. Animus spells are actually quite nice when stacked with gear.

I also nuke on par with the average BLM and will outperform them with Ebullience. We can even self skillchain just by casting magic which is very nice. The added damage is generally like a free nuke. You just have to use the tools we have. If you're scared of pulling hate you can always toss a merit into the appropriate stratagem.
    (3)
    Last edited by Flyinghippress; 07-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    As Flying said, it isn't uncommon to be on par cure for cure or nuke for nuke with our main school counterparts. In the long run they will win out as well they should, but we are far from worthless. If you don't feel that you are keeping up, you have to re-examine your gear and skill (both magic skill and as a player).

If your linkshell or group or anyone, thinks that getting a SCH is an unsuitable replacement, then you are either going at something super-tough which you may want that 2hr Embrava for anyway, or your leaders are figgin idiots. Or you are doing something in Abyssea which requires proccing, in which case it isn't about Cure V or nuke-ja, it's about our selection of spells which is something entirely different.
    (4)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Muras
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    I mentioned this in another thread, but the funny thing about Modus Veritas is that some mobs are completely immune to it. Go use it on Ulhuadshi or Itzpapalotl in Abyssea Attohwa and you won't get the "missed" message but something entirely different. That's why I think SE is full of crap when it comes to keeping the missing effect. All they have to do is make the big HNMs immune to Modus Veritas, while letting it land 100% on everything else.

In regards to everything else, I'll probably just be repeating some others have said. There is nothing wrong with SCH, as it does what it's supposed to do quite well. It certainly doesn't need "fixes" anymore, but perhaps only a few minor tweaks.

Libra should have a longer range, and honestly for what (little) it does right now it should probably be on a 30 second timer. I do however recall SE saying they might make Libra also display HP/MP/TP in the future, or perhaps give SCH an entirely new ability. The post should be on these forums somewhere.

Stormsurge isn't something I'm personally concerned about, but I find that our stormspells are generally fine. I just want more gear like Twilight Cape. And our 2 hour is perfect... It lasts a long time and we gain access to Embrava. Perhaps I haven't done enough testing with it but I haven't really been that blown away with Kaustra, but that's just me.

If there is something that SCH has that does need some adjustments, I'd put my vote in for Adloquium. I feel it should at least give 2 TP/tick (40 TP a minute), preferably 3 (60 TP a min). Again, SE said they'd give us gear to enhance it (Or something) but this was months ago. Perhaps we'll see something with Seekers of Adoulin but who knows.

For healing... With Regen V, Aurorastorm (+Korin Obi) and a good Cure Potency set, you'll often not need to use nothing but Cure III (Mine does 487 or so and I only have +42% Cure Potency). For big cures I can fire off a 1,500 Cure IV with Rapture, or 910ish without. The one and ONLY problem is that you can gain a lot of enmity from these large cures... But it's usually nothing Animus Minuo and some Enmity- gear can't solve.

For nuking and damage... Number wise, you can usually deal more damage with a tier V nuke than a BLM if you always use Ebullience. I personally like to use Parsimony in conjunction with AF3+2 pants for 100~ MP nukes. Also, use your helix spells inbetween nukes. Even if you can only deal 160-220 damage with the initial cast, that'll add up to 2880-3960 damage over the full duration of it (Usually lasts about 2 mins 42 seconds or so). 160-220 is the low end too... You can often hit 300-500 helix spells with good gear which is 5400-9000 damage for only 26 MP. You need to not become a victim of "high number syndrome"... Helix spells especially are something that don't show their full power right away.

The short answer though is pretty simple. If you try to play SCH like a WHM or a BLM then you'll likely see poor results. SCH is it's own entity and should be treated as such.

EDIT: I noticed the topic creator mentioned Abyssea specifically too. I just wanted to point out that the numbers I talked about are outside Abyssea, so they'll be a lot higher within Abyssea. You can see 800-1000 damage helix spells and stuff (14,400-18,000 damage) with the right atmas and gear (And Ebullience).

Abyssea is "old" content though... People will likely always do it for AF3 or Empys but when Adoulin hits people will care a lot less. It won't matter if SCH lacks procs or if something else DOES perform better. In the long run, Abyssea doesn't matter.
    (12)
    Last edited by Muras; 07-23-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added Abyssea talk

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast