Thread: Gun vs Bow

Character
    Scuro
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Gun vs Bow

So I'm a new RNG 99 and got most of my +1 gear but the pants, I started against the advice of most Ranger's and began with a gun because I always preferred the feel for it, even though I'm sure my damage was probably complete sh*t, but what I'm really trying to ask here is which one would top the other in DoT and Weapon skill, I've recently started skilling up my bow because it was 27 and thanks to the Loxely Bow I got it to 48 in an hour, and I can see where the big fuss is for Bow. So simply put, can somebody give me the pros and cons, because I have a hard time believing that the pros and cons of guns vs bows was the same as it was at 75. Thanks.
    (0)

99 BLU,PLD,SCH,RNG,NIN,BST,SMN,THF,BLM,WHM... Any questions..?

Player
    Use what ever weapon is more fun for you! But my Rng is only level 50 though.
    (0)
    Live, Laugh, LOVE.

Player
    Basically it boils down to how dedicated to taking up rng you are.

First question is do you want to build an empy/relic for it? Unless you're willing to build a gandiva recommend sticking to guns, aramgedon is a great choice because its easy to make allows access to wild fire and the main reason to own a gun atm last stand. (coarse i should be talking i made an annihilator but still need to get an armagedon...)

The down side to guns is that most of the damage is wrapped up in the ammo and as it stands the way bullets are sythed they require 1 full ingot to make, in case of adaman bullets that makes them fairly expensive VS arrows which use fletching, wood, and arrow head combinations.
    (3)
    Last edited by Nala; 07-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Character
    Scuro
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Ya I just see these bows that have almost double the amount of DPS a gun could possibly offer and I'm asking myself how people back in the day would say that bows were weaker damage less delay and guns were high damage and more delay, but I'm just not seeing that trade off now. I mean I of course love the idea of using a gun, and I really do want to use Last Stand ASAP, and I'm kinda drifting to make an armageddon.
    (0)

99 BLU,PLD,SCH,RNG,NIN,BST,SMN,THF,BLM,WHM... Any questions..?

Character
    Feliciaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    It's because bows get the majority of their DPS from the weapon and guns get it from the ammo. But when you add total DPS of the weapon + ammo together guns do a lot more but as Nala said the cost is way way more then bows.

IMO after getting relic bow and doing events with emp gun + bow and annihilator RNGs I feel that annihilator is the best way to go if you can 99 it as you get the highest DPS WS and the best utility WS. However, armageddon is still a great weapon that gives your RNG a strong magic WS and it's also really good on COR.
    (1)

Player
    Yeah, coronach is a great WS when decoy shot is down, i personally recomend if you're dedicated enough getting an Annihilator and an armageadon, arama's a good weapon when you're up against high PDT mobs or rather having the ability to switch to wildfire.
    (1)

Currently if you are not going for an empyrean or relic, gun will outdo bow because Last Stand beats Apex Arrow. Unfortunately gun ammo is prohibitively expensive, so you'll throw a lot of money out to do less damage than most Shoha SAM's.
    Currently I'm working on Gandiva, largely as a cost cutting maneuver. These Adaman bullets suck any profit I make out of VW.
    (2)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Player
    If you want a cheap and easy bow Gandiva is a good choice i could be wrong but (crap whats the ws for gandiva again?) is quite potent in our out of abyssea.

Also if you are actually getting buffed Last Stand is no slacker for damage, i've been able to consistently pull off 4-6k depending on temps berserk and buffs active. problem is in VW rangers typically get thrown in with the mages.
    (2)

A big reason why guns are highly favored over bows is the emnity generation. Sure you could do a nice Jishnu's radiance.. but you'll likely be eating dirt not long after... lol

Coronach and wildfire generate much less emnity and therefore can be spammed far more frequently (not to mention the agi modifier for last stand is far more favorable than crappy dex on jishnu's)
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Helyos
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayoyama View Post
    A big reason why guns are highly favored over bows is the emnity generation. Sure you could do a nice Jishnu's radiance.. but you'll likely be eating dirt not long after... lol

Coronach and wildfire generate much less emnity and therefore can be spammed far more frequently (not to mention the agi modifier for last stand is far more favorable than crappy dex on jishnu's)
    Is Jishnu's still going to have problems when the enmity update is put in place?
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast