Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Let me just try to say this as simply and nicely as possible. Using information to educate yourself is not going to deprive you of social interaction on your MMO. Knowing where you're going means people wont go "Why isn't this idiot learning this before joining the pick up?". Not everyone, But most. The best thing you can do, in FFXI, and Even in life, is to stop expecting people to speed feed you information because, and lets not dance around the fact, You're too lazy to look it up and feel like you're entitled to people feeding you the information.

No one wants to deal with "That guy" who does nothing but asks questions and gets upset when people tell him he can find the information himself. Not a single person on earth with enjoy continuously babying someone, and if they do, They're a horrible person. Nothing good can come from never giving people the tools to help themselves. In the long run, You're hurting them more than helping.

Asking a few questions is not bad, I know i've asked my LS something like "How far along in Voidwatch do you have to be to access Prov. Watcher Battlefield" > For two reasons - I was in a hurry to respond to a shout, and i know they knew, but 9/10 I'll look it up myself because Its not even about socially interacting, Its about learning basic things so you're not an annoyance to the group. Its common courtesy to not be "That Guy" asking everyone where to go, What <pos>, Whats the NM drop, How do i raise my level cap? Where do i go for this AF Quest? How do i complete it? Etc etc etc.

Badgering your LS and friends with questions you don't want to be assed to look up is not social interaction on an MMO, and thats the worst cop-out argument I've ever heard anyone say. For every question you research yourself, theres an entirely different sentence you could use to start a far less terrible conversation.

"Where do i go for this AF Quest?" turns into "This Quest is fun, You guys do _____ AF Before?"
    "Whats the POS Of this fight?" Turns into "You guys do this before? Seems fun"
    "Whats this NM Drop?" Turns into "I hope it drops XXXX, I've been after it for a while!"
    "How do i raise my level cap?" turns into "Hey, Anyone need XX level cap? or bored to help? About to go do it!"

For every question you ask because you're too lazy to look up the information yourself, Theres another question you could ask that could lead to a better conversation for both sides. The excuse "Well excuse me for not looking it up because i wanna talk to PEOPLEZ" is not acceptable by any human logical standard.

So yes, Asking questions is not a big deal, every now and again, But being that guy who never looks up anything is no fun for anyone, and it makes you look bad, regardless of what you're asking or your reasons. It makes you look lazy, and it makes you look like you want everything spelled out to you, and it, sorry and I'm not implying any of you are - But it makes you look stupid.

Education does not deprive Social Interaction, Its breeds intelligent conversation.
    (8)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    why are people even comparing FFXI and PSO2? totally different games, its like comparing apples and oranges...both have their strong points, and both their weak points

however at the moment, SEGA of Japan is working really hard on preventing hacks before they release the game in the USA in early 2013, will they succeed? I hope so but if they keep their faith in game guard I suspect not, here is to hoping SEGA gets the hacking issues under control before the game reaches the USA as SEGA of America wont likely be able to handle them, look at their track records

perhaps they should ask Perfect World Entertainment how they do it with Perfect World International, they had game guard but dropped it
    (0)
    Last edited by wildsprite; 07-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post

Education does not deprive Social Interaction, Its breeds intelligent conversation.
    Exactly.

I spent 45 minutes the other day talking to a LS mate about how to spruce up his resume for a restaurant management position, what old Brad Pitt movies were good, How long to cook a brisket and how much housing costs in his part of the country. I'm sure there were some fart jokes in there too.

If his questions would have been "where is the telepoint in pashow(s)?" or "How long does it take to raise a chocobo?", he would have likely gotten some one line answers (I would have had to look up the choco answer on the wiki) and we would not have gotten to know eachother better.

EDIT: Just realized what thread I'm in. Why is this thread still here (already checked wiki and asked ls mates)?
    (2)
    Last edited by FrankReynolds; 07-27-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshywooshy View Post
    So. How about that PSO2? Any update on what it has done with this game?
    Won't do anything to XI. However SEGA published some figures.

So far, 720K users did register. (It is Free to Play, we cannot talk about subscriptions). It is still a decent number for a game that is one month old, it did generate interest in Japan.

Total concurrent users peak was 91K users recorded early July.
    (0)

world search 7am pac time 2251 people on now, forgot they can play the game portable, at 4am pac time 1021.
    (0)
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

[/QUOTE]Education does not deprive Social Interaction, Its breeds intelligent conversation.[/QUOTE]

awsome
    (0)
    (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by wildsprite View Post
    why are people even comparing FFXI and PSO2? totally different games, its like comparing apples and oranges...both have their strong points, and both their weak points

however at the moment, SEGA of Japan is working really hard on preventing hacks before they release the game in the USA in early 2013, will they succeed? I hope so but if they keep their faith in game guard I suspect not, here is to hoping SEGA gets the hacking issues under control before the game reaches the USA as SEGA of America wont likely be able to handle them, look at their track records

perhaps they should ask Perfect World Entertainment how they do it with Perfect World International, they had game guard but dropped it
    competition brings out the best in people, and in games.

since PSO2 is a japanese game square been looking behind the rest of the world.
    (0)
    (author unknown)

Character
    Lisotte
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    lolwut?

Main issue here is that PSO2 is not an MMO. It's a 4 player dungeon crawler, like Monster Hunter or Diablo. Think of it as an over the shoulder Diablo.

There really isn't a "massive" element in the "massively-multiplayer online" part of it. The game's completely instanced, except for (rather small) lobbies.

Another example is Guild Wars 1. People don't think of that as an MMORPG either.

How is this relevant to the discussion? PSO2 won't kill FFXI, because it's apples and oranges, two related but different genres. People play FFXI for the feeling of being in a massive world with thousands of people. People play PSO2 to group with a small group of people to go grind dungeons for loot.
    (1)

While I agree PSO2 has almost nothing to do with FFXI, you have to remember we're not comparing games specifically but the amount of people spread throughout. I play FFXI and I quit to play PSO2 for a bit. Granted you have a job etc, there just isnt enough time in a day/week/month to play both with the amount they demand.

One would logistically conclude that if one were to weigh the two, and enjoyed both equally, one would stop FFXI due to the monthly fee. I personally dont see the future FFXI subscription base being hit too hard by this game, but thats just my faith in the good old 'dont want to leave friends/im connected to game'.

I personally lost interest in PSO2 once I unlocked HARD and realized I had to grind for hours upon hours just to gain 1 level, and nothing new unlocks until you gain 5 levels off of the first few levels of the game... But lots of people are at max level and enjoying it still, they're updating it pretty frequently so who knows.

It'll be like Diablo, people stopped playing FFXI to play that, only Diablo ended (hard lul) so people came back. PSO2, however, will be updated like an MMO so only time will tell if there will be a massive cross over.

I think, by this time though, the people left in this game (FFXI) are pretty much here until the end and have a strong devotion to the title or the series, so probably not much will happen. The only real competition I see for the current base is FFXIV granted it can pick itself up and reach its full potential.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mooshywooshy; 07-28-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Way to take what i said outa context ppl. Typical tho as basic of basic concepts seem out of reach from your self absorbed thought processes. First off I never used wiki, I asked questions in game as ppl did it. Then I learned by doing as in trial and error or doing test runs. Secondly asking questions of the game does break the ice if ur joining the game or new Ls. It sparks getting to know how ur Ls does stuff. Lastly I'm not one to lie. I got a good text memory for quests/ content in game. If my help saves a person 5-10 min of stopping too look up wiki, better left playing then good. Its how it should be. When I was new I was never told "oh go look it up" someone who did it befor helped and explained it as we did it. Think ppl now just too lazy to help and rather let a open forum site do the stuff for them.
    (0)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast