[dev1128] Magic Adjustments

If adjustments are being made to protect and Minne: also adjust Carbuncle's "Shining Ruby."
    I'm fine with the 10% protect is just fine but make it have a static duration of 30min or something. It has really no use as a 3min BP since there are so many better ones to use instead.

Also, wouldn't mind it being a larger percentage like, say +50% defense.

Posted in SMN forum since this place gets way less activity from players uninterested in the job for anything but Alex zerg. I would prefer an adjustment to the mobs themselves to make defense buffs more useful than it is currently ... I made a wall of text but it doesn't have to do with the dev1128 so i took it back down...

So, what do others here think about making shining ruby something you put on the party (generally before you pop the NM)? and not having to think it was 100% useless since it didn't wear off 2 min. into the fight?
    (1)

Personally, never really gave it much thought TBH. If it goes down, I usually just put it back up if it's needed... or I'll use a defensive buff from the avatar that's currently out if it will help. At best, might hope for 15 minutes (like Aerial Armor and Earthen Ward), 30 minutes might be pushing it in SE's eyes. Then you may also need to look at Fenrir's Ecliptic buff's too, which are only on 3 minutes.

As for potency....idk about a flat increase to 50%. It gives an increase of roughly 9.4% ( probably a ratio of 25/256 or something) to your actual defense ratings. Cast it on yourself with no prot/shell up. My naked SMN goes from 161 to 176, (201 to 220 with Prot III) put on a few pieces of armor and it goes from 204 to 223 (244 to 267 with Prot III). This can be pretty potent to a fully buffed, turtled up tank. Maybe a tiered increase based on skill over cap or something could be introduced, but idk if they'd go for a big jump in one shot like that.
    (2)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

The "50% defense" part was a total joke.
    I like the ideas about giving it tiered increases over the cap. Would be nice to see but I think if they were gonna do that they would have done so already.

The reason I said 30min was because protect/shell are 30min, and it's not like the difference of making it 15min or 30min would change anything, it should alter the buff in a SMN's eyes to be akin to casting protectra/shellra on the party since the smn knows it won't last for at least a long portion of a fight.

For fenrir's buffs, they should have way higher stat gains than they did at 75cap. Especially ecliptic Growl since that is the one that effects stats like STR and INT. Howl affects accuracy and evasion so I personally feel that can stay as is. At 75 an extra 7 str was great, in abyssea ecliptic growl has no effect if the ppl get cruor buffs, and I don't know if it stacks with whm enhancements. If it doesn't then it defenately needs a major increase in stats.
    An increase in duration would be nice but idk...

Keep the thread going please~
    (1)

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    This sort of thing is needed, as was mentioned by someone before, an increase to Ward buffs are massively overdue, and Shining Ruby has always been borderline useless.

While they're at it, increase Earthen Ward so it's worth a damn. It currently absorbs 248 damage at 99, ~82 damage less than the soft cap for Stoneskin and costs more than an Accessioned Stoneskin.
    (3)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Dann
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I have to agree here, summoner buffs in general could use a status enhancement, maybe tie it in to summoning skill.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I have to agree here, summoner buffs in general could use a status enhancement, maybe tie it in to summoning skill.
    Not maybe... but DEFINITELY!
    (2)
    Live, Laugh, LOVE.

Lasts 5:30 at 450 Summoning Magic Skill.
    Enough for most zerg fights that you don't want to waste alex on. With the new buffs to minne and protect, this will be more potent anyway, since 10% of 450 (Avergae DD with pro V) is only 45, but 10% of 600 (average DD with new pro V) is 60. In the whm threads, a PLD managed to get ~2300 def without SR. It would give an extra 230 in this case^^
    (0)