With the 11th Vana'diel Census out, I think the statistics are pretty clear.
Mythic weapons are not balanced out against Relic and Empyrean weapons in terms of acquisition.
Based on what I'm reading from the devs, there has never been any intention to make mythics any rarer than relics or empyrean weapons.. so how is it that in the past year less than 100 Mythics have been made, when there are thousands of Relics and even more Empyreans being made in the same amount of time.
there's even this comment
thing is, at present moment NONE of the implemented Aht Urhgan changes are going to make it more convenient to obtain a Mythic...We're quite curious to see what next year's data will look like after the Aht Urhgan revisions that are currently being implemented have had time to play out.
Right now, this is where a mythic stands in terms of 'cost' to acquire and upgrade to 99.
(prices taken off average rates found on ffxiah. dynamis price uses silverpiece price for safe estimate. if mainly other currencies, it will be cheaper)
The bulk of a Mythics cos is upfront, at its lv75 form, because of the cost of Alexandrite. As you can see, the price of Mulcibar's Scoria relative to the price of even obtaining a mythic is very low. 30mil if you buy all 3 scoria, and this is partly because there are so few mythic wielders around.
Looking at pre99 cost. The cost of a mythic is more than triple a relic or mythic, and this is the fundamental reason why few players have completed a mythic.
it is NOT because of Einherjar. NOT assaults. NOT nyzul isle, and with Zeni NM changes, the trophy droprate is no longer an issue. Ask any serious mythic builder and they'll likely tell you they've cleared all the other requirements already.
the problem is Salvage. Salvage renewal have not been implemented yet, so there is still hope.
the reason why alexandrite is so expensive is due to a few reasons.
1. no incentive to do salvage. salvage 75 gear was good, but is now obsolete. it is not even worth getting now because the drop rates are bad and you need to spend assault points to enter and money to make them.
2. barriers to entry. minimum 3 players needed to enter salvage - you only really need 1 player to clear it. if the barrier didn't exist maybe more people would go in and solo Salvage, but this may pose a problem for capacity reasons.
3. lack of supply of alexandrite. for the few who do salvage, they may keep the alexandrite or sell it. each day not much alexandrite is created from Salvage (and nyzul II) in other words, the supply created at the moment cannot meet the demand, hence the price is so high.
*IF you had 600mil right now and wanted to buy all your alexandrite, you still probably wont be able to until a few months later because there is not enough alexandrite around.
The law of demand and supply. When the supply of Alexandrite increase, the price will naturally fall.
This can be done in a number of ways.
1. Increase the droprate of Alexandrite per run.
2. Increase the number of people doing Salvage (make it more popular again)
3. Implement new ways for Alexandrite to drop in greater quantity.
with Salvage expansion planned for Sept onwards, we are mostly likely going to see an expansion similar to Limbus and not Dynamis (roadmap says expansion, not revamp).
most likely it'll be new shorter battlefields that occupy the same area so congestion won't be a problem. (arch chariots? >_<) but it will need to supply more alexandrite to meet the demand.
why? because even if old salvage is popular again, the amount of alexandrite it creates is not enough. (trivia: it was never enough, a lot of the initial few mythics were created with supply of duped alexandrite)
secondly, salvage is a commitment event. you can solo dynamis and voidwatch can be done with complete strangers, but if salvage uses its old system then you're still going to need to share drops and can't go in solo, so the amount of alexandrite created needs to compensate for the shortfall.
tl;dr - not enough alexandrite - need to balance Salvage for there to be more alexandrite. from there, market price will fall from its current 600m total price tag, and be more in line with Relic and Empyrean weapon prices.
i also want to talk about the huge contrast in effort required for all 3 types of weapons, but ill leave that for another time