Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doublecast

I think a Double Cast effect might more effectively as the casting equivalent of Double Attack, where the spell is selected and cast once, but has a chance of firing twice. As an example:

1. Select spell/macro
    2. "Spell hits <t> for x damage"
    "Spell hits <t> for x damage"

Player casts once, if Double Cast procs, the spell lands twice, the second costing MP just as if one had chosen to select and cast the spell twice oneself.

This would obviously require some rules programmed in. If an enfeeble lands the first time, a second landing doesn't mean squat. It might not suck for Cures, but it shouldn't land twice if the first cast topped off the target's HP.

In the end, the problem with a Double Cast ability/trait is that the only time it really serves much purpose is nuking.
    (0)

Can't imagine Sun's idea being any harder to put in than Double Shot for RNG Was. I do however think the MP cost of the second spell should be halved, especially if it will be a "Random" Stance.

I don't think the idea of random stance, Especially if say.. You're Buffing Stoneskin, Phalanx, Protect... So a stance with random proc would kinda suck and blow your MP a lot if you had to rebuff with it on.

Alternatively, Double Cast could only effect nukes and Cures, Which then would only really hurt cures, If you're trying to Cure IV someone and it double casts, over-Cures, and you're out the MP.

I think a simple Job Ability, on 1-2 Minute timer, casts a spell twice back to back (Despot style)... Would be the best bet. or, Double MP Cost + Double Damage. (Sch gets an Ability similar to this though).
    (0)

Well, that's why I said the concept would have to be implemented with special rules:

a) Double Cast simply wouldn't work on Enhancing and Enfeebling magic, or ...

b) The Trait/Ability is programmed such that it couldn't proc on a spell that has successfully landed it's effect (such as a successful Paralyze or any Enhancing magic), or if the target's HP has reached 100% (in the case of Cures).

I didn't suggest any change in mana costs since, essentially, you are casting the spell twice, just without the manual effort or recast timer. Of course, with that kind of penalty, it might be better off as a Job Ability rather than a Trait.
    (0)

Character
    Slvr
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    See, that's why I made the suggestions I made, with you being able to select the two spells you want to dualcast. Looking back at the history of Dualcast, under every name it's more or less been in (Double from 8, Double Black/Double White from 9, Doublecast from 10, W-Magic command materia from 7), you've almost always been able to select two separate spells from your magic list, some incarnations having specific limits over what you could dualcast (Black Magic only in 10, White and Black Magic only in 4 DS, all except Blue Magic in 5). Being able to select the spells you have on your spell list that you want to dualcast only seems to be a natural staple for the series.

Granted, the only issue is that you're essentially playing in a much more real-time setting than any of the other games, much more real-time than the ATB systems in prior games, so selecting two separate spells or two targets for one spell each would be tricky, but somewhat doable. Heck, think of the possibilities that could be employed.
    -Someone is paralyzed and has some damage dealt to them, and you're /WHM? Dualcast Paralyna and a Cure spell on that person.
    -Two mobs are running loose, and your Sleepga spell is down? Dualcast Sleep II on each mob (provided they don't have shadows).
    -Need to create a burst of magic damage for whatever reason? Dualcast your strongest nuke on the mob in question.
    -Starting a longer fight and need to throw down some debuffs? Dualcast two debuffs at once with Saboteur up to strengthen both of them simultaneously.

There are *plenty* of possibilities available if you simply allow the spells to be selected manually instead of the JA automatically casting the same spell twice in one go. Both spells would still cost the same MP, both spells would be down for the same amount of time as if they were cast normally (maybe even down for 50% longer if cast twice, but that would be a greater penalty than what I would put on it), and you still get the added bonus of using Spontaneity to have an instant cast for both, or all of your Fast Cast gear.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I think a Double Cast effect might more effectively as the casting equivalent of Double Attack, where the spell is selected and cast once, but has a chance of firing twice. As an example:

1. Select spell/macro
    2. "Spell hits <t> for x damage"
    "Spell hits <t> for x damage"

Player casts once, if Double Cast procs, the spell lands twice, the second costing MP just as if one had chosen to select and cast the spell twice oneself.

This would obviously require some rules programmed in. If an enfeeble lands the first time, a second landing doesn't mean squat. It might not suck for Cures, but it shouldn't land twice if the first cast topped off the target's HP.

In the end, the problem with a Double Cast ability/trait is that the only time it really serves much purpose is nuking.
    I'd be pretty disgruntled if they implemented something like this. All I see it doing is making me less mp-efficient and spiking hate when I don't need it. Control is pretty key and an ability like this would take away a lot of my control. I don't want to find myself in a situation where my MP pool just emptied itself when I had carefully rationed out just enough to give me a safety net for Convert while under duress.

People keep asking for double-cast, but it's already here under two different names:
    Fast Cast and Spontaneity.
    (1)

Player
    Or you could just have the second cast not use mp at all, then that should solve the problem.

Or you could have a job ability that last for like 1 minute that gives a double cast effect, and you can click the Job Ability Icon off if you don't want to use it while it is in effect.
    (0)
    Live, Laugh, LOVE.

Character
    Taruina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Badieh View Post
    Or you could just have the second cast not use mp at all, then that should solve the problem.

Or you could have a job ability that last for like 1 minute that gives a double cast effect, and you can click the Job Ability Icon off if you don't want to use it while it is in effect.
    "oh cool, our RDM doublecast proc'ed on thunder4, so glad we didn't bring a blm or sch!", says no one.
    (2)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I agree, double attack should proc on magic spells and not cost additional MP for the 2nd cast.

(I totally didn't read anything else on the thread)
    (0)
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Anyone else want their generous amounts of Double Attack from Temper, Brutal Earring, and D.A. Khandga to go to their magic as well?
    (2)
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Player
    Would be very nice
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast