Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JiltedValkyrie View Post
    Why play on a monitor? I have my desktop hooked up to a 42" HDTV with HDMI.
    This is what I do too. I stayed on PS2 for a while, despite always having a PC that could support the game, simply because I saw no good reason to go through the download and install process when PS2 was working fine. I finally switched when PS2 would freeze at every ToAU cut scene.

I don't give a flying fig one way or the other if PS2 support continues, but I can honestly say for the record that I don't miss anything about playing on PS2. I have the comfort of console in my recliner and a USB controller and an HDMI hookup to the TV. The game updates faster on PC, I never freeze on NPCs, it looks better, and man do I love being able to turn off weather effects. If I want to watch TV while playing I just unplug the HDMI, switch inputs on the TV and watch the game on a decent monitor.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilraen View Post
    Are you saying I'm that much less a customer for play on the PS2?
    Yes, because you're holding up the development and progress of the entire game, hurting SE and other players in the process, including yourself because you're settling for a much worse game than it could be. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edyth View Post
    I switched from playing on PS3 to PC, and the only thing I miss is the immersiveness of playing on a TV screen.
    You can still play on a TV, with even better graphics.
    (6)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Quote Originally Posted by Gilraen View Post
    You may lament PS2 support but that happens to be the version I play on. Yeah, I do have a computer that can run the game fine but I already own all the PS2 version disks so why go out and buy a whole other version when I already have a perfectly good install already? I find the lack of a US PS2 release distressing as it does mean I will have to more than just buy the new expansion but also a full PC version as well. I feel like I'm being doubly penalized for a game that I've been supporting for the better part of 7 years. Are you saying I'm that much less a customer for play on the PS2? (Honestly I'm playing on the PS3, but I did play on the PS2 for the years preceding the PS3's release).
    Why would you have to buy PC install discs? They aren't copy protected, and don't require registration codes to log into an existing account, so you could just borrow discs from a friend that plays on PC, or get the installer from a friend that did a digital download purchase. You have to buy PS2 and Xbox discs because they have copy protection, but not so for PC. BlueGartr has one of many solutions for you.

As for playing on PS2, for years it was the most stable version of the game. If you don't run Windows, it's hard to play the PC version, and if you do, you have to deal with all the support programs that run in the background (antivirus, Windows update, and in the case of my system the server software since it's also my media server for the house). PS2 just boots right up into the game and isn't likely to crash on you except for stuff since WotG, because SE stopped fixing issues that would cause cutscenes to lock for that expansion.

When I tried to make the switch to PC, they didn't support my graphics card well, and after a patch I was getting 3-12 FPS outside the mog house. I couldn't do my mission set party without being on my PS2. No driver I could find for my card, which was more then capable of the game until that patch, would raise my frame rate, making my WHM useless for targeting and healing. I stayed on PS2 a good while longer because I didn't have to fuss with drivers, or spend more money trying to get a different graphics card. It had to wait until my next PC 3 years later before I wanted to try running PC version again. PS2 at least has consistent behaviour, because the system is standardized.
    (3)
    Last edited by bungiefanNA; 06-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Hmm... no official answer listed anywhere, though it seems like it will be business as usual.
    Say, we did get forced to "Upgrade HDD space or be unable to play" etc.

There are people who play on playstation, i am one of them but i do also have this on Xbox 360 as well. What platform people play on should not matter. Remember this is a cross-platform game after all and supports many languages as well.
    (1)
    Last edited by BST; 06-25-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Huh?

Character
    Gilraen
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Why would you have to buy PC install discs? They aren't copy protected, and don't require registration codes to log into an existing account, so you could just borrow discs from a friend that plays on PC, or get the installer from a friend that did a digital download purchase.
    Oddly, not everyone knows someone/is friends with/lives next to someone who plays FFXI, much less plays it on PC. Unless you're willing to send me your copy in the mail I'm still going to be forced to get the PC version along with the expansion just to play in the new area. It's best not to assume that everyone personally knows someone else who plays, it's just not the case nor has it ever really been so.
    (1)

Character
    Korialstrasz
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I'm curious how it's possible to play an MMO and not have any friends.
    (1)
    ~ The OF motto ~
    If someone has more gil than me, they bought it.
    If someone outclaims me, they're botting.
    If someone is more successful than me, they cheat.

Character
    Gilraen
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 95
    I play a couple MMOs, I have several friends. Do you know how often those two lines cross? Not very. Change the first one to specific MMOs and those lines don't cross at all. It's not that rare a thing in the U.S.
    (1)

Character
    Finuve
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    torrent the fricking ISOs

seriously, I have FFXI on 3 computers and never once have I had the install discs or purchased a PC copy

and nothing on PC makes it hard to play anywhere, hook an HDMI up and play on the couch with a PS3 controller, and at least then you can fix the massive blur the PS2 has on newer TVs, as well as inject some supersampling so you can make out what the characters look like

and so much less performance issues even with a mediocre PC

but seriously stop playing on PS2, or don't play Seekers of Adoulin, your choice.
    (4)

Character
    Zyla
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    like the above user said, just go download a torrent with the installation software in it. hell if nothin else, you can get the game and like every expansion + mini expansion with the abyssea collection for like $20. this is very affordable, as opposed to the xbox and ps2 versions of the game, which are so outrageously priced ppl just play on pc anyways. i'm broke as shit cause i have bills and shit to pay, car upkeep and maintenance, a cat to feed, and even with all that shit i still have an extra $20 to spare... even if you don't have $20 extra to spare, hell save up loose change in your couch for like 2 weeks or somethin >.>
    (4)

Player
    So basically, I'm glad that they're adding new content to the game because they needed it. Mind you, they still have to address the existing problems in regards to old or dead content.

I'm also glad that they're starting to think outside of the box. I'm really looking forward to the new expansion.

However, one thing I don't agree with is their decision not to try and attract brand new players. I feel that this is a critical mistake on SE's part.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=29967
    (0)

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast