Character
    Arioch
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Error code FFXI-3001

Details
    My friend is currently locked out of 2 of his characters when he examined the Cavernous Maw in Batalia Downs. This happened on PC. All of his characters are on the same account and he's able to play the others with no problem and retrace to the past on his other characters but isn't going to touch the maw on them because he already is locked out on 2. He did this while on PC, and has tried to log into them using his PS2 and still receives "Timeout error FFXI-3001". This is on bahamut server, the characters he has stuck are Vanfeiheit and Ritsukka. I already know someone is going to ask why he isn't posting this himself; he told me he cannot remember his POL passwords to log into the official forums so that is why i am doing this for him.

Steps
    1. In Batalia Downs, clicked on the maw to zone into past.
    2. Animation for entering maw occurs.
    3. Black loading screen appears.
    4. Error FFXI-3001.
    5. Disconnected from game.
    6. Attempting to log into the same characters fails with the same error code from PC and PS2

Date & Time
    June 17 on Ritsukka, June 18 on Vanfreiheit, don't remember what time.

Frequency
    Always

Platform
    PS2, PC

PC Model
    Homebuilt

OS
    Windows XP/7

Graphics Card
    Irrelevant; happens on PS2 also.

ISP
    DM-Tech

Internet Type
    4G
    (0)
    Last edited by Arioch; 06-18-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

Teegrins!

Obviously no official response, but I hope you'll take it for what it's worth. ^^

First of all, they are usually (should be always) unable to help players unless they submit their own report (meaning one can't report something for another player). If it's something they can look into regardless, they sometimes will forward it, but in most cases they can only tell the user to submit a report.

Secondly, not remembering the POL password can, and will become an issue sooner or later more probably than not, so I would strongly recommend the friend contacts the Customer Service via the SqEX Support Centre/Center:

Europe:
    • http://support.eu.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=455&la=2
    Japan:
    • http://support.jp.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=11&la=0
    North America:
    • http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=20&la=1
    Other:
    • http://www.square-enix.com/

As for the issue itself, this is just my opinion and guess of course, it seems like a connection issue. Especially so due to the fact that the issue remains with both PC and PS2 platforms.

If this has not been tried yet, reset the router/modem, check the settings, and/or contact the ISP to make sure the connection is fine. If you are wondering why the other characters are able to enter other areas, the reason is that the areas are not all behind the same address.

The issue may disappear 'by itself', but do try resetting the router and such routines as it may be of help.

More detailed suggestions, courtesy of SE_James:

1. Check to make sure you have properly configured or turned off any of the following: Routers, Proxy Servers, NAT Servers, Internet Connection Sharing services.
    2. If you are using any kind of software/hardware Internet Sharing service/device the following ports need INCOMING access to your PC: TCP 1024 - 65535, UDP 53, and 50000 - 65535. Also, check to make sure that the ports mentioned are not blocked by your ISP for INCOMING access. Proper configuration of any of the above items mentioned should be done by following the instructions in the software/hardware manual or calling the manufacturer's technical support.
    3. If you are using a router, and have configured that router for port forwarding, temporarily bypass that router and connect directly to the modem.

Please take note of the following:
    • Proxy servers, and satellite connections are not supported and do not work correctly with FINAL FANTASY XI.
    • Your router may require that you use a PC to configure your network settings. For more information about how to configure your network settings, please refer to the instruction manual that came with your router or contact the manufacturer directly.
    • If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) specifies a DNS server, you need to make sure to configure your settings to allow packets to pass through UDP Port 53 as well. For more information, please refer to the instruction manual for your router or the information provided by your ISP.

Good luck!
    I hope this helps~
    (1)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 06-19-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Noticed a thought for a sentence I never finished; removed.
    ...or so the legend says.

If it was the router why would all the other area's work? I'll check on a differnt connection later.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ritsuka; 06-19-2012 at 07:14 AM.

if it's not client-side initiated connections, it may be getting blocked by your router or more local security due to the stateful inspection routine. NAT security can cause issues too--many routers have different security settings that can cause problems. Setting up the port forwarding or bypassing your router takes most of these local routing issues out of the way, leaving you with something on your system, your ISP, or somewhere out there in route causing problems.

Best thing you can do is check all your security logs to see if something is getting blocked when zoning/logging in, and if nothing is getting logged, watch your connections as you are zoning logging in with something like netstat or TCPView and then tracing the connections that are in WAIT-STATE to see if they are timing out. If it's connection time outs, there is likely a routing issue with your ISP segment or beyond that you nor SE have no control over. In that scenario, forward your findings to your ISP and they can track down who is responsible for the failing segment to get them to investigate.
    (2)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

ya damn looks like its only that one zone everything else seems to work fine. Just that one zone. Not really sure how to check those logs.
    (0)