Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'd like to be able to use merits to continue doing content.
    Like trading merits to reduce the cooldown of Assault Tags, Meeble Sacks, Remnants Permits, etc.
    That way if I wanted to spam Salvage or something, I could go join a party for merits so I could enter more often, rather than logging out for a day.
    I really like this idea. It would give merits a purpose for the players that are done meriting the jobs they wish to merit. I realize this has nothing to do with uncapping merit catagories, but seeming how they are resistant to that idea - to which I understand to some extent - it would give players something extra to work for and work with. One way to look at it is a way of saying thank you to the player base for still playing.
    (6)
    Each person is an individual being, capable of independent thought and unique emotion, deserving respect, dignity, and compassion in all things, at all times, and in all places.

To do anything else denies the self of its humanity.

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'd like to be able to use merits to continue doing content.
    Like trading merits to reduce the cooldown of Assault Tags, Meeble Sacks, Remnants Permits, etc.
    That way if I wanted to spam Salvage or something, I could go join a party for merits so I could enter more often, rather than logging out for a day.
    Oh this is a good suggestion.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebytes View Post
    I would actually like to see some soloable Seekers quests that would allow you to uncap your merits in certain categories. That would give a very strong incentive to do certain quests or quest lines. Now, by soloable, I do not mean that it will be easy. I simply mean that it should not be impossible.
    I like this idea better than my own. Would like again.
    (8)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Now that "Balance" is very obviously no longer a concern (given the proposed stats on gear), I would like to resubmit this idea. It has been ~8 months since I first posted it and the game has changed a lot during that time, but the same problems still exist and these changes are still justified for the same reasons. If anything, they are more justified now that the game is obviously designed to be played by multifaceted characters that excel at multiple jobs:

Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    I have a simple suggestion that would help the game, would not be difficult to implement, and would not cause any serious balance issues.

Remove all the merit point category caps.
    Please let us hold more merits as well ; ;

(Category Caps are the limits on a group of merits. So the category cap for Tier 1 merits is 10. The category cap for Combat Skills is 30, etc.)

A. Will this cause balance issues?
    No, because:
    1) The strongest players pick one of their jobs and merit for it.
    2) If they are perfectly merited for one job, it presents the biggest balance threat when given more merits because you have to assume that they would be on that job in situations that require high performance, the hardest events.
    3) If they are perfectly merited for one job, any future merits that they obtain from having the cap increased will necessarily be less valuable to their job than the ones they already have.
    4) Optimally-merited jobs barely benefit from increasing the caps.

Example:
    Warrior is in some ways the greatest threat for this kind of adjustment because they are so versatile, so the limitation on combat skills/stats stands to benefit them the most. Still, what happens if you uncap a perfectly merited WAR?
    - They gain 12 DEX and VIT.
    - Their Warcry and Aggressor recasts drops 50 seconds.
    - Instead of meriting three of Upheaval, Resolution, Ruinator, and Stardiver, now they can merit all four.
    - They gain 14-15 accuracy (0-8% hit rate) with some of their proc weapons.

So you have barely made Warrior stronger. The other jobs benefit even less than this. Plus, at a time when people complain about the difficulty of events (like Legion, Provenance Watcher, etc.) this gives them an opportunity to help themselves. I mean, what do you want our failure rate to be on these events? Is it really too low at the moment?

B. Why should we do it?
    1) This will give players nearly-unlimited potential for character growth. - It would take 6706 merits to cap out. Players currently have ~2000 or less. Even with an epeening "I get 250k/hr" Abyssea party, it would still take them almost 80 rl 24-hour days to cap out from 2000 merits.

2) A limiting merit system has always been the antithesis of the job system. - One of the major draws to FFXI is that the game lets you play through with only one character, which you are free to become attached to. There are certainly times when you need to change your role, and the job system accommodates that. It is silly to suddenly reverse this at the level cap, which is where players spend almost all of their time these days. When the cap was at level 75, you go 1 to 75 as a Red Mage playing however was convenient in any type of party, but Tier 2 merits forced you to decide whether you wanted to use your Red Mage to solo or do Salvage.

3) Programming-wise, this almost has to be possible and reasonable. - The category caps have been increased before several times. You could either remove them from the interface (clean) or increase them to the maximum amount (dirty but definitely possible).

4) At a time when content is sparse, this would give a much-needed boost to activity. - People want to play, but don't have anything that they can do to improve their character. This would make it so there is almost always something they can do.

5) Increased participation in events/systems that yield XP. - More people would do Grounds of Valor. More people would do Campaign. More people would do Besieged. More people would do Dominion Ops. More people would do Voidwatch. etc. If you increase the incentives, you increase the odds that people will partake in an event. Giving XP value serves as an incentive.

Fellow posters, I challenge you. Come up with a situation where the above proposed change would alter the way we do any event. Where it would make something noticeably easier. Where it would affect the "balance" of anything. Try!
    (20)

Character
    Dirtyfinger
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    Now that "Balance" is very obviously no longer a concern (given the proposed stats on gear), I would like to resubmit this idea. It has been ~8 months since I first posted it and the game has changed a lot during that time, but the same problems still exist and these changes are still justified for the same reasons. If anything, they are more justified now that the game is obviously designed to be played by multifaceted characters that excel at multiple jobs:

Agreed 100%

Since we are growing our characters via gear and not gaining traits/JAs, we should be able to grow them to their fullest abilities. Most merits are from 75 cap and none would break the balance.
    (8)
    Masamune
    Arma up next!

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I wish there was a way to give more likes.
    (6)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    What they said. ^
    (8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

Please consider this, Development Team!!
    (4)
    Let's make this game great

Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The merit limit is as dumb as those who think that you learn a job from 1-99 still in 2013.
    (5)

Character
    Nightfox
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Uncap merit categories, SE. So many of us want it, dont wait until the post vanishes in forums. Hope it still stays alive, there are about 200 likes to the idea as well, thats huge considering the fact 90% of people read an run and forget to hit like. Im hoping this will happen sometime in the November-December timeframe at least. Again, please uncap the merit categories.
    (6)

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast