Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sever Merges Please

I think that we are due for some server merges, and soon, hopefully. With Abyssea, we've had the majority of the community pretty much cooped up in one spot. There was often no reason to do much of the older content.. and since everyone was (forced into) doing the same thing, it was much easier to find groups and communities to become a part of. Now, however, the game has evolved beyond Abyssea with new content such as Voidwatch. This year according to the Road Map we will be seeing a lot of the older content reborn.. and what will happen is the community will once again be spread out across the world of Vana'diel. It will become harder to get full groups together for content and harder to meet new people and make new friends. I've recently been doing "/sea all" as well as "/sea all inv" on several servers and the results are disheartening for someone who wants to play with a lot of different people. I've also been monitoring /yell and /shout activity via www.ffxiah.com/shouts. Basically there are many servers with a very lacking community. Sometimes there are no shouts for over an hour. Sometimes there are as few as only 600 people online.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who aren't bothered by this or don't even notice it because they've probably been playing for a long time and have delved quite deep into the community, acquiring a list full of friends and linkshells. However the same cannot be said for newer players or folks who've returned to the game after a long time. I think that server merges are a vital part of FFXI's healthy future.
    (0)

Character
    Randwolf
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Yeah, no need to ask for them. They will occur. Let's not rush them.
    (0)
    All Jobs 99
    GS 54, BS 50, Alch 60, Bone 57, WW 60, Cloth 53, Cook 60, LC 60, Fish 51
    Playing Since NA PS2 Release

Player
    No thanks!
    (7)

They tried that.. and all it did was create more backlog in some areas, more backstabbing, more people shadowing someone hoping to snake a claim....the list goes on.

The issue isn't so much with the number of people on a server, it's more with the break down of the population on each server. When the ratio is so heavily waited to high-end players who have done most all the content and have little/no desire to go back through it, it makes it harder on the low-end players that need the help. If anything were to be done regarding server config...it would be to somehow orchestrate getting a higher concentration of new players together on each server during signup.
    (1)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Laddie
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Maybe a good solution could be to create a server that was focused on new players. Some older players who like to help new people out (there are a few out there) could maybe transfer there for free if they wanted too and new players could start there so that they wouldn't feel so "alone". I would rather see them do something like this than to merge servers again.
    (1)

Summer's otw in the northern hemisphere. If I'm barely playing anymore due to doing stuff outside, I'm pretty sure there's others like me - population will rise up again in fall.

Server merge? No Thanks.
    (1)
    Behemothx - Leviathan
    WAR - DNC - BLM - SMN - THF - WHM - SCH - BLU - RDM - BRD - BST - COR

What we really need is a sewer merge. Bostaunieux Oubliette's lower areas are a mess.
    (2)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Stop asking for this garbage.

If they want an option for players to join an overpopulated server just say 1 thing. FREE transfer to Oden << or whatever server is the most populated. Those people that want to move have an option to move while the people who are happy can stay content.

All sever mergers do is piss people off and make more people QUIT. A server merger says one thing. The game is going down hill. I'd rather them turn the game off completely then do another painful merger.

If some COOL content was added "Not this VW grindfest" things might be worth it. I can see the best times I've ever had on this game where in Abby. In all my 8+ years of playing nothing beat those 3 expansions. This new stuff falls into levels of bordom and frustration.
    (1)
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

For the love of Altana.. we don't need a freaking merge.

SE needs to advertise this game. Yes its old but ppl would play if they: Give a fully featured expansion to the level of ToAU with missions, new mobs, fun/excitement/win.

Numbers are getting lower, yes.... but mergers are only going to push us closer to a point where SE just says the heck with it and shuts down....

Improvements are needed but this new PS2 update where they just nearly doubled the storage space should be a sign that they are planning (major) development and I take it as a very good sign.

Now if they can quit marketing a failed game (14), move more devs back to FFXI, give us a new FULL expansion that they advertise and market the heck out of as the ((Rebirth of the classic online game, FFXI)) or something similar... bring new and old retired customers back and WIN.

Merger <Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass!>
    (1)

Player
    I think it would be awesome if we merged all the servers into one big fat server. Then things would truely get interesting!
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast