In 2010 and early 2011, I saw the normal online population hover around 3,000 online when I used /sea all.

Midway through 2011, /sea all results dropped to about 1,500 characters typically online at any given time.

Now in 2012, on a summer afternoon, I see ~900 people online.

A few things need to happen to counter this. My top 4 suggestions:

1. We need server merges to revitalize the communities while content is added and improved to retain, regain, and recruit players.

2. The game needs to be made more convenient for new players.
Travel around Vana'diel is great when you've got Abyssea and Voidwatch warps, but for new players who have to wait week after week for vital outposts like Valkurm Dunes or Buburimu Peninsula to be conquered by their nations, the game's pace is like a Crawler inflicted with Gravity II. Movement speed in FFXI is an issue as well. I'm sure it would cause "major complications" if the default player movement speed were increased, but something needs to be done to pick up the pace for players who are just beginning and can't travel freely, and the only parties going on are in Gusgen Mines a couple times a day.

3. Exciting content and important fixes need to be delivered more quickly. Blue Mages were teased with getting Spike Flail in what, 2009? Meteor took 3 years to arrive after being announced. The enfeebling magic, VW stagger, and new avatar updates still haven't happened. Cruor buffs still wear off when we're disconnected. Etcetera.

4. We need to feel like there's hope. When the customers really, really, really want something, it would be a great idea to do more than talk in an illogical loop about balance and say no. Players are voting with their wallets now. Way too much. Make Red Mage better instead of shooting down or ignoring great suggestions. Fix blood pact recasts instead of making spirits cost less MP. FFXI's current direction is not popular, and Square Enix's unwavering resolve to make FFXI what it wants instead of what the customers want is costing the game and the company a lot.