Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Character
    Zoop
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    i don't see why SE just don't go ahead with these competions, are they really saying that some country is going to sue them over this?? i think most governments have more important things to be worrying about at the moment
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    It's not like they told you to activate inactive accounts to increase your chances of winning.
    Yeah, silly me for believing their promotions........Wow.
    (3)

Player

So... does this mean... wait ... NO FREAKING WAY?!

As the title says.. NO FREAKING WAYY?! Does this mean that SE will have to take out our gambling tables too?!!!

Not that anyone really used them.. but, it was always great fun to spend an hour or so waiting for an event with the LS to have a bit of banter over the Jeuno Gambling table for 10k a roll...

This is an in-game gambling event.. Does this too get effected by world-wide laws?

I'm not too worried about the final bonanza being played, because after all, who wins? I'm usually out of pocket every year, and wished i'd never held onto the damned tokens for around 2 months.

I was always very cynical about it too..
    Let the moogle choose numbers, or you pick 'random' ones yourself.
    I never truly believed that the numbers are totally 'random' on the draw.. because surly at the end of the day, the numbers are generated by a computer, which uses 1' and 0's, which can easily calculate which numbers have been selected by the players, and just choose the winning rank 1 accordingly..

But thats just me being a sore-looser, never getting above rank 4 for all the years its been running..
    (0)

Character
    Beeraga
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    It's not like they told you to activate inactive accounts to increase your chances of winning.
    It's not like they told us that an event was going to happen and then decide to cancel it.

This event was originally announced in April. As of June, they've pulled the plug, claiming international laws. What laws have changed in the past two months that would hinder them from actually going through with the event? ...OR did SE have their collective heads so far up their bums that they didn't even bother to check to see if this was still in accordance with international gambling laws?

I would have been ok with them saying, 'hey, we can't do this event anymore because of these laws'. Instead of promising an event and then pulling the plug only AFTER someone had asked about it.

So what, they weren't planning on actually telling us formally that this event wasn't going to happen?

Either way: Fail.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    This event was originally announced in April. As of June, they've pulled the plug, claiming international laws. What laws have changed in the past two months that would hinder them from actually going through with the event?
    Hm?? there was no backpedaling. They never said that we'd be able to participate. It sucks that we can't, but they didn't pull the plug, it was never plugged in in the first place.
    (1)

Character
    Beeraga
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Hm?? there was no backpedaling. They never said that we'd be able to participate. It sucks that we can't, but they didn't pull the plug, it was never plugged in in the first place.
    So, what you're saying is that just because SE posted that they were going to have the event, along with a list of prizes and screenshots, doesn't mean they were ACTUALLY going to go through with the event.

I suppose though, if you follow SE logic, this makes sense.
    (2)

Orly? This wasn't posted in the English forums in April?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...-Special-Items

We are planning to use 1 or 2 of these for our 10th Anniversary Mog Bonanza. Hope you are all looking forward to trying them out.
    (3)

Character
    Randwolf
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeraga View Post
    ...What laws have changed in the past two months that would hinder them from actually going through with the event? ...OR did SE have their collective heads so far up their bums that they didn't even bother to check to see if this was still in accordance with international gambling laws?...
    Have you ever worked for a company that is large enough to have it's own attorney(s)? Those guys spend free time, when they have it, going through everything a company does and then explaining how they can get sued for it. I guess S/E's attorneys got around to looking at Mogbonanza. Guessing the gambling tables will now go since, they've been mentioned.

Hopefully, S/E will still follow through on what they promised (a replacement/equivalent event) and sometime reasonably soon.
    (1)
    All Jobs 99
    GS 54, BS 50, Alch 60, Bone 57, WW 60, Cloth 53, Cook 60, LC 60, Fish 51
    Playing Since NA PS2 Release

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
    Yeah, silly me for believing their promotions........Wow.
    Indeed!

Ah well, such is life!
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°€

Reminds me of a case (can't remember where) when someone got charged in court for logging into an ex's account and dropping all their items/equipment as if she'd burned all of them in reality.
    Makes me think of America for some reason. ^^;

This mog bonanza is a real life event- Even if the prizes are items in a game, the contest would still be subject to laws. Not every country's law even distinguishes virtual prizes from physical ones.
    Yeah, I know the event held at Vana'fest is, but I'm talking about the Bonanza and co. that we have had in the past with no real-life festivities.

All in all, I do understand that there are laws that surely affect this kind of services, somewhere, but they have been able to do it in the past, too, so why not now? Makes me think it's all about the money. ~ö~
    I don't actually remember if we had bonanzas during past Vana'fests, but either way, they could just hold a strictly in-game one for those who can't travel to the spot.

It's nice to see that they are indeed working on something like that, but yeah, these things do still puzzle me. I may have been 'spoiled' by other games who never had any sort of restrictions regarding region when it comes to a 'lottery' (or anything else, really, though payment options are more or less affected by the ability of the company dealing with them, but it's definitely not click and bye). One I remember gave away in-game item(s) as well as free subscription time for a period of some months (European company).

In the end, I wont exactly miss it too much, either, since I never win 'big'. I did have some statues I still wanted to collect, however, and I think I once got 2 x rank 4 prizes (or was it 3, naaaw, must have been 4 where I the Nocturnus Helm with). I still use it, gimp or not!

But yeah, it will likely forever puzzle me that a game can not include some regions to a contest because of laws.

/etc/init.d/blahblah stop
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast