Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Player
    Maybe some direct damage Dark elemental Dark Magic nukes. I know Drain and Drain II have pretty decent base damage for their MP cost but how about something a little stronger for a little more MP without any gimmick like Attack Down or HP Drain, that way the damage:MP ratio is better justified. Call the spell line Ruin a la the new FF12/FF13 spells which deal Dark/Non-Elemental damage depending on the game.

Ruin, Ruin II. The Dark Magic version of Holy. High MP cost, deals major damage. Nethervoid doubles potency like Divine Emblem. Under the effect of Dark Seal, Ruin and Ruin II also adds the effect of Chainbound which allows DRKs to SC with their next WS. So a DRK could for example do the following:

Dark Seal->Ruin(320 damage)-> Resolution(3,000 damage)->Skillchain:Gravitation(1500 damage)->Nether Void->Ruin II(1929 damage magic burst)

Granted the damage seems like a lot, but it requires 2 JAs, one of which is merited, and it would consume 250 MP.
    (2)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 01-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.

@Oph I like the idea of an actual dark magic nuke, so ruin is cool, see if your fellow darks agree. BUT, as to Drain (and although not mentioned Aspir) make them tie more to your dark magic skill. If you consider where the spells are now as a "happy medium" then capped skill would make them half again as powerful as they are now, and with gear augments, twice what they are now. Conversely, if your magic is underskilled, the numbers fall off, in a big hurry. That way it would reward players who do the work with greater utility, and penalize those who just play dark occasionally without doing the work to do it well. I would make the same thing apply to dread spikes. I know this is already somewhat a feature of the game but I think it should be magnified from where it currently is. But you dark types could really use a means of recovery so Drain/Aspir/Dreads being buffed would actually be in character with your sort of anti-paladin role, without taking from your DD.
    (0)
    Last edited by Glamdring; 01-04-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: mt

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Unfortunately, Escape is not Dark Magic, it's Enhancing Magic. A job cannot cast a spell from a school of magic which they don't have any native skill in. Of course they could shift Escape, Warp and Warp II into Dark Magic; but as of current, Warp/WarpII/Escape are all Enhancing Magic like Teleport, Retrace and Recall (probably because spells which displace you and transport you elsewhere fall under the realm of Time/Space/Dimension spells which are more Enhancing-like. Dark Magic is more for tormenting foes and or stealing their attributes than transport).Sorry.
    I'm sure people have brought this up already, but the black magic spell Impact is available to Summoners and White Mages despite no elemental magic skill.

BLU is one of the staple jobs on throwing weapons, but it has 0 throwing skill.

There are also instances where jobs have skill for something they cannot access without a subjob, such as RDM's and SCH's divine magic skill.

Although I don't think there's an instance of a spell that's permanently learnable being available to a job without skill in that area, goofiness like SMN casting Impact means that it's only a barrier if SE wants it to be.
    (2)

Character
    Raelia
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Same vein: DRK is on lots of shields with zero skill.

I like the Ruin concept, but I can see it having a straight up Darkness SC alignment to balance it out a bit and make it work great with Entropy and Catastrophe (*coughandscrewoverResolutioncough*), not to mention having Entropy to back up the MP cost now.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raelia; 01-13-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Character
    Landsoul
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Giving DRK Escape if pretty stupid seeing how it's an Enhancing Magic spell.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    But when we run away, we run in circles.
    It's just a game we play, straight to the same old place.
    But its far too late, there's no escape.
    Well I was a fool for giving into you, but I never knew,
    there's a science to these mindless things we do.
    (0)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9